[comp.mail.mh] Wanted - MH/POP for DOS/MAC

martin@xopen.co.uk (Martin Kirk) (04/05/91)

Apologies if I am asking a question that has been recently asked in
this group.

The Nutshell book on MH/XMH hints at the existence of MH/POP software
available for DOS and the Mac, but give no contact information. Can
anyone supply me with the necessary (mail) address?

Also, does anyone know of a DOS Windows 3 equivalent of xmh?

Thanks in advance,

Martin Kirk

Martin Kirk                                           X/Open Company Limited
Manager, Distributed Systems Management             Apex Plaza, Forbury Road
EMail: m.kirk@xopen.co.uk                          Reading, RG1 1AX, England
Tel: +44 734 508311                                      Fax: +44 734 500110

jerry@ORA.ORA.COM (Jerry Peek) (04/05/91)

In message <1991Apr04.214531.21035@xopen.co.uk>, Martin Kirk wrote:
> The Nutshell book on MH/XMH hints at the existence of MH/POP software
> available for DOS and the Mac, but give no contact information. Can
> anyone supply me with the necessary (mail) address?

Some educational institutions can get MH-like PC and Mac software from:
	Networking & Communication Systems
	115 Pine Hall
	Stanford University
	Stanford, CA 94305-4122
	(415)723-3909
I've used their Mac MH program and it's pretty nice... it's window and
menu-based, stores messages in separate Mac files in folders, etc.
I think Stanford only gives licenses to some educational institutions, though.

Another reader of the book asked me about POP for his PC's.  I did some
hunting through the anonymous ftp archive server at quiche.cs.mcgill.ca
and found a program called POPmail.  I have *never* used it.  You can get
it by anonymous ftp from boombox.micro.umn.edu.  Here's a little bit
of the POPmail documentation.  (Sorry in advance if this doesn't belong
in the mh-users list... it seemed like a pretty common question to me.)

--Jerry Peek, O'Reilly & Associates, jerry@ora.com, uunet!ora!jerry

This manual is about POPmail for IBM and compatible microcomputers that run
the MS-DOS operating system.  POPmail is an electronic mail (E-mail) system,
written by the Microcomputer & Workstation Networks Center at the University
of Minnesota. With the POPmail program, you can send and receive E-mail
messages locally or to and from large systems on campus and around the world.
In addition to POPmail for the IBM, we also support an Apple Macintosh
version, although all references to POPmail in this manual will pertain only to
the IBM version unless specified otherwise.

POPmail uses the standard IBM character set to emulate a graphical user
interface (GUI).  For this reason, POPmail runs on a wide range of IBM PCs and
compatibles, including the earliest PCs which contained a monochrome display
adapter (with no graphics support).  In other words, POPmail does not require
that you install a special graphics display adapter in your computer.
We allow free distribution of POPmail to all interested parties as long as our
copyright notices are not altered or removed and you do not charge others for
distribution of our software.
If you have questions, bug reports,
suggestions, or general comments about POPmail you can send E-mail to us at:

popmail@boombox.micro.umn.edu

or if you prefer paper mail:

POPmail Project
Microcomputer & Workstation Networks Center
University of Minnesota
Room 125 Shepherd Labs
100 Union St. SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455