[comp.mail.mh] Help with MH-6.7

s36579e@taltta.hut.fi (03/21/91)

Has anyone compiled MH-6.7 in ultrix4.1
I am having troubles because I get a lot of Warning messages and
also macnum,proxy,macros,macbuf are said to be undefined.
The machine is used here is DecSystem 5000/200 and I would like
to have also POP/BBOARDS support.
 * Tuominen Keijo                       E-mail adresses:            *
 * Klaneettitie 18 d 56 00420 HKI       remo@otax.tky.hut.fi        *
 * Phone (Home): 90-538606/90-466292    s36579e@taltta.hut.fi       *
 * Phone (Office): 456 4295 VTT        keijo.tuominen@vtt.fi (Office)*

sharpe@hollie.rdg.dec.com (Paul Sharpe) (03/22/91)

I have MH6.7.1 compiled under ULTRIX 4.1: The next release
of ULTRIX actually contains a version of it as standard
(whoooopppeee! MH6.5 is dead at last!)

The problem is that the 4.1 libc.a had the ruserpass() function
removed, and as the POP support in MH requires this function,
you find undefined references on inc and msgchk. I think
that an upgrade to 4.1 was available that contained a fixed
libc.a ; the alternative is for you to take a copy of the file
containing ruserpass() from any old version of ULTRIX libc.a
that you might have lying around.

Hope that this helps!

	Paul.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-==-=-==
Mail Group,
ULTRIX Engineering Group,
Digital Equipment Corp.,
Reading,
England.

jpm@cs.hut.fi (Jussi-Pekka Mantere) (03/31/91)

In article <1991Mar21.155409.13254@santra.uucp> s36579e@taltta.hut.fi writes:

   Has anyone compiled MH-6.7 in ultrix4.1

Or updated to Ultrix 4.2? Have the tapes rolled out yet?

Regards,

Chape

     	   ULTRIX Version 4.2 includes Version 6.7.1 of the  Rand MH
     	   mail agent including a new utility, "alex", that provides a
           simple way for users to manage their mailing list.

--- clippety clip ---

ziegast@ENG.UMD.EDU (Eric Ziegast) (03/31/91)

>   Has anyone compiled MH-6.7 in ultrix4.1
>Or updated to Ultrix 4.2? Have the tapes rolled out yet?
>     	   ULTRIX Version 4.2 includes Version 6.7.1 of the  Rand MH
>     	   mail agent including a new utility, "alex", that provides a
>           simple way for users to manage their mailing list.

I'm curious whether they used the MH distribution, or hacked it up
like they did X11R3 in Ver 3.0.

Anyone have source for alex?  If not, anyone got a man page?
Eric W. Ziegast, University of Merryland, Engineering Computing Services
ziegast@eng.umd.edu - Eric@(301.405.3689)

jch@hollie.rdg.dec.com (John Haxby) (04/11/91)

In article <9103310209.AA06740@egypt.eng.umd.edu>, ziegast@ENG.UMD.EDU (Eric Ziegast) writes:
|> >   Has anyone compiled MH-6.7 in ultrix4.1
|> >Or updated to Ultrix 4.2? Have the tapes rolled out yet?
|> >     	   ULTRIX Version 4.2 includes Version 6.7.1 of the  Rand MH
|> >     	   mail agent including a new utility, "alex", that provides a
|> >           simple way for users to manage their mailing list.
|>
|> I'm curious whether they used the MH distribution, or hacked it up
|> like they did X11R3 in Ver 3.0.

"They" indeed.  Humph.  No, we didn't `hack it up'--the MH6.7.1
distribution includes some of our fixes: the only significant
difference you'll find between our distribution and John
Romine's is the addition of latent X.400 support, multiple `inc'
sources and alex. (you can include mail from files, pop and
X.400 all at the same time)

|> Anyone have source for alex?  If not, anyone got a man page?
|> ________________________________________________________________________
|> Eric W. Ziegast, University of Merryland, Engineering Computing Services
|> ziegast@eng.umd.edu - Eric@(301.405.3689)

The intention was to make alex publicly available, but I don't
know if it has happened (or will happen).

Alex knows about headers and the alias file: so it can extract
addresses from a mail message and add them to the alias file or
print them out in a variety of interesting ways.  Here's
alex -help to whet your appetite (the arguments to `field' specify
a sort-of disjunction, (implies?) -- eg the "-field resent-to/to"
would choose the "resent-to" field if it existed, otherwise the
"to" field; "-field resent-to to" chooses both).

syntax: alex [+folder] [switches]
  switches are:
  -address string
  -alias name
  -[no]compress
  -[no]field name{/name}
  -[no]global
  -name name
  -[no]query
  -[no]replace
  -width n
  -help

version: MH 6.7 #9[UCI] (wessex.rdg.dec.com) of Thu Nov 1 14:39:07 GMT 1990
         [RPATHS] [DPOP] [RPOP] [UK] [FOLDPROT='"0700"']
         [MSGPROT='"0600"'] [TYPESIG='void'] [POPSERVICE='"pop"']
         [SENDMTS] [SMTP] [POP] [X400]
--
John Haxby, Definitively Wrong.
Digital				<jch@wessex.rdg.dec.com>

sharpe@hollie.rdg.dec.com (Paul Sharpe) (04/11/91)

In article <1991Apr11.121436.9406@hollie.rdg.dec.com>, jch@hollie.rdg.dec.com (John Haxby) writes:

|> The intention was to make alex publicly available, but I don't
|> know if it has happened (or will happen).
|>
|> Alex knows about headers and the alias file: so it can extract
|> addresses from a mail message and add them to the alias file or
|> print them out in a variety of interesting ways.  Here's
|> alex -help to whet your appetite (the arguments to `field' specify
|> a sort-of disjunction, (implies?) -- eg the "-field resent-to/to"
|> would choose the "resent-to" field if it existed, otherwise the
|> "to" field; "-field resent-to to" chooses both).

To back-up what John says, "Yes!!", alex source will be made available,
as will all of Digital's fixes/changes to the base MH that are
useful outside of DEC: I'm just a lazy so-and-so!!! In the past I have
had problems mailing Digital patches direct to John Romine, so I may
take the liberty of mailing the source to the net here: it also means
that alex will then be availble directly, rather than in some future
release of MH.

	Paul.

Paul Sharpe,
Digital Equipment Corporation, OSOE, (Ultrix Engineering),
Reading, England.
Calvin: What's it like to fall in love?
Hobbes: Well...Say the object of your affection walks by...
Calvin: yeah?
Hobbes: First, your heart falls into your stomach and splashes your innards.
        All the moisture makes you sweat profusely.
        This condensation  shorts the circuits to your brain and you get all
        woozy.
        When your brain burns out altogether, your mouth disengages and you
        babble like a cretin until she leaves.
Calvin: THAT'S LOVE?!?
Hobbes: Medically speaking.
Calvin: Heck, that happened to ME once, but I figured it was cooties!!