[comp.mail.mh] Xmh problems on SPARCstation 1+

QQ11@liverpool.ac.UK (Alan Thew) (04/12/91)

We have the standard X11R4 distribution from MIT (patch level 15 ish)
running on SPARCstation 1+'s, including xmh.

I normally run scan with my own formfile when running within a shell.
Although xmh displayed the ouput correctly, the "view next message" and
"view previous" commands along with using the mouse to select and read
tended to fail because it tried to read a non-existent file (file 0).
Once I used the default scan form file, all was OK.

The next problem was with the editor. I can live with it but _not_
without a META key. I'd read the manual on this, if only I knew which one
to read :-) . Anyone out there using xmh on SPARCstation who can tell
me? ( When will xmh allow me to choose my own editor btw? )

Thanks.

version: MH 6.7.1 #3[UCI] (uxb) of Sat Mar 9 03:48:33 GMT 1991

Alan Thew  : University of Liverpool Computer Laboratory
Bitnet/Earn: QQ11@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK or QQ11%UK.AC.LIVERPOOL @ UKACRL
    UUCP   :           ....!mcsun!ukc!liv!qq11
   Voice   :  +44 51 794 3735        FAX : +44 51 794 3759
Internet   : QQ11@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK or QQ11%LIVERPOOL.AC.UK @ NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

jerry@ORA.ORA.COM (Jerry Peek) (04/13/91)

In message <9104121232.aa07421@ICS.UCI.EDU>, Alan Thew <qq11@uxb.liverpool.ac.UK> wrote:
> I normally run scan with my own formfile when running within a shell.
> Although xmh displayed the ouput correctly, the "view next message" and
> "view previous" commands along with using the mouse to select and read
> tended to fail because it tried to read a non-existent file (file 0).
> Once I used the default scan form file, all was OK.

xmh reads the message number from the scan form file output (stored in its
".xmhcache" file for the folder).  Does your form file put the message
number in the same columns and same format as the default scan format?
If it doesn't, try fixing yours and see if that helps.

Section 15.6 of the MH & xmh Nutshell Handbook is about changing the
Table of Contents format.

--Jerry Peek, O'Reilly & Associates Inc. -- jerry@ora.com, uunet!ora!jerry