[comp.mail.mh] stupid MH beginner-installer question

de@helios.ucsc.edu (De Clarke) (06/13/91)

HELP.

I just snarfed mh 6.7 today, from uunet.uu.net.  I went through
the README doc, which provides preliminary installation
instructions, and did what it said (except that my sendmail.cf
is not much like the one the author had in mind, but my problem
is much, much less subtle than that!).

I got to the part where the doc tells me to cd to the home mh
directory (called mh6 in the doc) so I cd to mh6.7 -- the doc
tells me to issue a 'make' command and "This will cause a
complete generation of the MH system."

Ummm, there is no makefile, and no Makefile, there.

So I thought, maybe the uunet version is corrupt.  I went to
uci and got a fresh copy.  But alas, they are identical.
(And strangely, so are 6.7.1 and 6.7 from uci !?!)

Now, I am willing to be embarrassed and feel foolish and all
that, if someone will just tell me what I have to do to
build this stuff that I have just spent a couple of hours
reading about and customizing!

BTW, "RTFM" will not be a good response, as the makefiles for
the manuals are present _but don't work_, so until I have time
to build all the docs by hand, I can't RTFM.  I will be doing
this while I wait for some kind soul to have mercy and reveal
the secret to me...

de

PS -- has anyone got a copy of the xmh source?  we lost ours
      due to insufficient disk space and overzealous admins, and
      I would rather not get the whole X11R4 contrib set again
      (not sure we have room to store it!) -- we have the exe for
      xmh, I would just like the source in case I have to tweak it
      now that we really have mh (sort of)
: De Clarke, Computing Resources Mgr.	           UCO/Lick Observatory, UCSC :
: de@helios.ucsc.edu   The Regents don't often agree with me nor I with them. :
: de@portal.bitnet              "Praise the Net, and pass the information..." :

ziegast@UUNET.UU.NET (Eric Ziegast) (06/13/91)

De Clarke writes:
> I just snarfed mh 6.7 today, from uunet.uu.net.  I went through
 . . .

> So I thought, maybe the uunet version is corrupt.  I went to
> uci and got a fresh copy.  But alas, they are identical.
> (And strangely, so are 6.7.1 and 6.7 from uci !?!)

Just to clarify a few things....
The uunet copy (~ftp/mail/mh-6.7.tar.Z) is Ver 6.7.1 and is (at the
time of this writing) identical the copy on ics.uci.edu.

On ics, ~ftp/mh/mh-6.7.1.tar.Z is a soft link to ~ftp/mh/mh-6.7.tar.Z

--
Eric W. Ziegast         Jr Postmaster - UUNET Technologies
ziegast@uunet.uu.net    postmaster@uunet.uu.net