[comp.mail.mh] Mh-e.el antisocial??

ebersman@uunet.uu.net (Paul Ebersman) (06/13/91)

I have been playing a little bit with mh-e.el and it seems rather
unfriendly to configure. While I am not an elisp wizard, I had no
problem getting calendar, vm, gnus and supercite more or less the way I
wanted them. However, I seem to be having lots of problems getting mh-e
to do what I want or expect without spewing files over all my home
directory. Perhaps some mh-e users would be kind enough to point out
where my brain died. (I am using the most recent version of mh-e, the
one that came with emacs 18.57)

1) If I try to start out my mh session by doing mh-visit-folder, it
complains because the mh-temp buffer doesn't already exist. Ugly... I
get around this by doing an mh-list-folders first, but that's a kludge.

2) If mh-e hasn't visited the folder before, it cames it doesn't exist
and asks if I want to create it. The .mh_sequences file is already there
and the folder exists. It shouldn't really object that the folder
doesn't exist.

3) When I do "a" to reply to a message, it complains that $MHHOME/reply
file doesn't exist and then creates a buffer "draft-mhpath: bad message
list drafts". If I do it again, it creates a buffer "draft-draft-..."
and still complains about the reply file. I use a drafts folder, and I
have mh-draft-folder set to "drafts". It does create the reply file and
puts the message in it, but the file contents don't wind up in the
draft-mhpath buffer. Finally, it winds up putting the results of the
edit in $MHHOME/../"mhpath: bad message list drafts" (complete with
spaces in the file name.

4) When you mark things for deletion and then quit without forces the
updates, it doesn't ask if you might want to force the updates.

Thanks for any insights.

--
                   Paul A. Ebersman @ UUNET Communications
                   uunet!ebersman or ebersman@uunet.uu.net

rtor@ansa.co.uk (Owen Rees) (06/14/91)

> 1) If I try to start out my mh session by doing mh-visit-folder, it
> complains because the mh-temp buffer doesn't already exist. Ugly... I
> get around this by doing an mh-list-folders first, but that's a kludge.

You should start mh-e throught one of mh-rmail, mh-smail and
mh-smail-other-window. These call the function that sets things up.
mh-rmail and mh-smail are set up in emacs to autoload mh-e so you dont
even have to load it yourself.

I always start mh-e by mh-rmail, In fact I put

(global-set-key "\C-xm" 'mh-rmail)

into my .emacs file so that I can wake it up more easily.

I think this will make your problems go away.

(I worked this out by reading the code.  Is it described anywhere?)

Owen.

Owen Rees			Email:	rtor@ansa.co.uk
APM, Poseidon House		Phone:	+ 44 223 323010
Castle Park, Cambridge		Fax:	+ 44 223 359779
CB3 0RD, UK
====== Brevis esse laboro obscurus fio (Horace) =======

wohler@sap-ag.de (Bill Wohler) (06/17/91)

rtor@ansa.co.uk (Owen Rees) writes:
>> 1) If I try to start out my mh session by doing mh-visit-folder, it
>> complains because the mh-temp buffer doesn't already exist. Ugly... I
>> get around this by doing an mh-list-folders first, but that's a kludge.

>You should start mh-e throught one of mh-rmail, mh-smail and
>mh-smail-other-window. These call the function that sets things up.
>mh-rmail and mh-smail are set up in emacs to autoload mh-e so you dont
>even have to load it yourself.

>(I worked this out by reading the code.  Is it described anywhere?)

  not that i know of.

  the emacs manual only describes rmail, dissociated press, and other
  "amusements".  i would suggest that these be taken out of the manual,
  per se, and placed in another texinfo file, along with descriptions
  of ftp.el, mh-e.el, and all the other packages in the lisp
  directory.  for the user, having all these packages organized and
  neatly documented in one place would be far more preferable than
  having to peruse a random directory.

  followups to gnu.emacs.bugs.
--
						--bw
-----

gildea@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Stephen Gildea) (06/21/91)

    1) If I try to start out my mh session by doing mh-visit-folder, it
    complains because the mh-temp buffer doesn't already exist. Ugly... I
    get around this by doing an mh-list-folders first, but that's a kludge.

mh-visit-folder is not an "entry point," that is, a function which
will start up mh-e properly.  Instead call mh-rmail with an argument,
which will initialize mh-e and prompt for a folder to visit.

    2) If mh-e hasn't visited the folder before, it cames it doesn't exist
    and asks if I want to create it. The .mh_sequences file is already there
    and the folder exists. It shouldn't really object that the folder
    doesn't exist.

This problem may be caused by incorrect entry to mh-e.  See above.

    3) When I do "a" to reply to a message, it complains that $MHHOME/reply
    file doesn't exist and then creates a buffer "draft-mhpath: bad message
    list drafts". If I do it again, it creates a buffer "draft-draft-..."
    and still complains about the reply file. I use a drafts folder, and I
    have mh-draft-folder set to "drafts". It does create the reply file and
    puts the message in it, but the file contents don't wind up in the
    draft-mhpath buffer. Finally, it winds up putting the results of the
    edit in $MHHOME/../"mhpath: bad message list drafts" (complete with
    spaces in the file name.

You should not be setting mh-draft-folder yourself; it gets set
automatically when the Draft-Folder line is read from your profile at
mh-e startup time.  Again, this may be caused by incorrect entry to mh-e.

    4) When you mark things for deletion and then quit without forces the
    updates, it doesn't ask if you might want to force the updates.

That's a feature, not a bug :-)  But you can define a new function to
do the action you want:

(define mh-update-and-quit ()
  "Execute queued folder commands and quit mh-e."
  (interactive)
  (mh-execute-commands)
  (mh-quit))

 < Stephen