[comp.mail.mh] "Problems with edit - draft removed"

mo@gizmo.bellcore.com (Michael O'Dell) (06/24/91)

Repl and Forw have started doing this intermittently, and boy, nothing
undermines the faith in a user community faster than mail programs
that don't work.  So the message is a bit more dour than is needed,
because the draft is still usually there, but WHAT'S HAPPENING????

It was working just fine until a few weeks ago.  Anyone else seen this
happen???

version: MH 6.7.1 #1[UCI] (gizmo) of Mon Jun 17 15:10:49 EDT 1991
         [RPATHS] [MHE] [MHRC] [NTOHLSWAP] [OVERHEAD] [SBACKUP='"#"']
         [MSGPROT='"0600"'] [ZONEINFO] [SENDMTS] [SMTP] [POP] [BPOP]
         [NNTP]

	 -Mike
	 mo@bellcore.com

sean@dmrinc.com (Sean Baker) (06/24/91)

I also get this occasionally.  Although in my case, the
draft usually IS removed.  I even tried running a shell
script that calls vi, then calls "exit 0", but I was still
getting the problem (???).

I was going to hack the whatnowsbr.c file, but someone
mentioned that this would be fixed in the next relase
(6.7.2?).  My patience ran out, so I hacked away.  It's no
big deal, I just ifdef'd out the part that removes the file.

If you're interested, I could send you the diffs (trivial).

Sean.
=======================================
Sean Baker <sean@dmrinc.com>
Data Management Resources
20725 South Western Avenue, Suite 100
Torrance, CA 90501
USA
(213)618-9677

jromine@yoyodyne.ics.uci.edu (John Romine) (06/25/91)

mo@bellcore.com (Michael O'Dell) writes:
>Repl and Forw have started doing ["Problems with edit - draft
>removed"] intermittently, and boy, nothing undermines the faith in a
>user community faster than mail programs that don't work.  So the
>message is a bit more dour than is needed, because the draft is still
>usually there, but WHAT'S HAPPENING????

If your users are using an AT&T version of "vi", it's exiting with
non-zero status (supposedly a count of the "errors" during the edit).
Move "vi" to "broken_vi" and put it its place:

	#! /bin/sh
	/usr/ucb/vi $*
	exit 0

Then complain to your vendor that "vi" is broken, and they should
fix it.
--
John Romine