[comp.ai.nlang-know-rep] NL-KR Digest Volume 3 No. 63

NL-KR-REQUEST@CS.ROCHESTER.EDU (12/22/87)

NL-KR Digest             (12/21/87 20:15:21)            Volume 3 Number 63

Today's Topics:
        Re: natural language examiners
        Reply to request for references on Knowledge Representation

        Seminar - Practical Reasoning and Unstructured Work (BBN)
        BBN Language & Cognition Seminar
        Conference - AAAAIC88 Aerospace Applications of AI
        Conference - ICEBOL3 Symbolic and Logical Computing
        Conference - Request for AAAI-88 Workshop Proposals

Submissions: NL-KR@CS.ROCHESTER.EDU
Requests, policy: NL-KR-REQUEST@CS.ROCHESTER.EDU

Date: Mon, 14 Dec 87 06:19 EST
From: Thomas Grossi <mcvax!inria!imag!csinn!grossi@uunet.uu.net>
Subject: Re: natural language examiners

> I suspect that the only way to pin it down would be to plot the
> frequency spectrum of each spoken sound, and judge an entity to
> be speaking the standard dialect iff it does not deviate from
> some standard for each spoken sound by more than a set amount and
> if the speech rate does not deviate...etc.
> --
> Colin Kendall				Paradyne Corporation

fine, but mastery of a language goes far beyond being able to pronounce all the
sounds of a language.  Intonation is extremely important, not only because if
you don't get it right you'll sound "strange" but also because of its semantic
content -- it's often impossible to tell when a "foreigner" is trying to sound
sarcastic!  Another aspect that I was completely unaware of until I came to live
in a foreign country is that not only must you learn an entirely new vocabulary,
you must also learn to say completely different things in the same circumstances.
(for example, if someone steps on your foot and apologizes -- "Excuse me" -- an
appropriate response in English would be "certainly" whereas in French you would
say "Il n'y a pas de mal" -- "no harm done" in the closest translation)

Thomas Grossi				...!mcvax!csinn!grossi
Cap Sogeti Innovation
Grenoble, France

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Dec 87 08:48 EST
From: William J. Rapaport <sunybcs!rapaport@ames.arpa>
Subject: Re: References wanted

[Extracted from AIList]

In article <3237@lifia.UUCP> gb@lifia.UUCP (Guilherme Bittencourt) writes:

>       I am very interested in recent publications concerning
>Knowledge Representation tutorials or surveys, and papers
>comparing different techniques of Knowledge Representation.

A new collection of essays, based on the ca. 1983 IEEE Computer special
issue on KR, has just been published:

G. McCalla & N. Cercone (eds.),
The Knowledge Frontier:  Essays in the Representation of Knowledge
(New York:  Springer-Verlag).

                                        William J. Rapaport
                                        Assistant Professor

Dept. of Computer Science||internet:  rapaport@cs.buffalo.edu
SUNY Buffalo             ||bitnet:    rapaport@sunybcs.bitnet
Buffalo, NY 14260        ||uucp: {ames,boulder,decvax,rutgers}!sunybcs!rapaport
(716) 636-3193, 3180     ||

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Dec 87 09:22 EST
From: Bruce Nevin <bnevin@cch.bbn.com>
Subject: ref. comparing KR techniques

[Extracted from AIList]

In AIList Digest 5.283 (11 Dec 87)  Guilherme Bittencourt
<mcvax!lifia!gb@uunet.UU.NET> asks for

". . . papers comparing different techniques of Knowledge Representation."

Try:

        Gregory, Dik, Philosophy and practice in knowledge
        representation.  In Joseph Zeidner (ed.), _Human Productivity
        Enhancement_, Vol. I, NY: Praeger (1986).

I assume you are familiar with the papers in the Brachman & Levesque
_Readings in KR_.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 17 Dec 87 09:51 EST
From: Ron Brachman <allegra!rjb>
Subject: Reply to request for references on Knowledge Representation

Dear Guilherme,

Among the best survey articles there are is one by Hector Levesque in the
Annual Review of Computer Science, Vol. 1, 1986.  This is published by
Annual Reviews, Inc., of Palo Alto, California.  Hector's article is
entitled "Knowledge Representation and Reasoning."  Ray Reiter has an
article on "Nonmonotonic Reasoning," to appear in the next volume of
the same series.

You might also refer to our Readings in Knowledge Representation book
(Morgan Kaufmann, 1985); it includes a brief introduction to the
field, and a number of important articles highlighting, among other
things, different techniques of KR.

The section on KR in the AI Handbook is always a reasonable place to
start, as well.

Finally, I have just completed a brief (20-page) survey/tutorial
article for the AT&T Technical Journal, entitled "The Basics of
Knowledge Representation and Reasoning."  I can send you a copy if you
would like.

- Ron Brachman

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Dec 87 08:33 EST
From: Dori Wells <DWELLS@G.BBN.COM>
Subject: Seminar - Practical Reasoning and Unstructured Work (BBN)

                      BBN Science Development Program
                       Language And Cognition Seminar

                ISSUES IN THE STUDY OF PRACTICAL REASONING:
                      DESIGNING COMPUTER SUPPORT FOR
                           "UNSTRUCTURED WORK"

                             Constance Perin
                        Sloan School of Management

                           BBN Laboratories Inc.
                            10 Moulton Street
                      Large Conference Room, 2nd Floor

                   10:00 a.m., Wednesday, December 9, 1987

Abstract:  To develop computer applications that are relevant to
nonroutine, relatively unstructured work processes requires
descriptions of them in terms of the rational, irrational, and
nonrational thought they employ. Deriving structures from the
particularities of these tasks and from the relationships among tasks
is one representational problem which needs to be addressed in
designing computer support for such tasks.  Another is how to
acknowledge the influence of contexts on tasks.  A third problem is
how to decrease the probability of miscommunication and increase that
of shared interpretations in complex organizations.  The perspectives
of discourse analysis, semantic analysis, and figurative language
analysis seem to be appropriate to this set of questions.  In this
talk, I will discuss how these types of observation and analysis might
be employed in designing research methods appropriate to knowledge
acquisition for tasks in unstructured work domains.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 17 Dec 87 09:17 EST
From: Dori Wells <DWELLS@G.BBN.COM>
Subject: BBN Language & Cognition Seminar

                      BBN Science Development Program
                       Language and Cognition Seminar

        THE EMERGENCE OF UTTERANCE MEANING THROUGH SOCIAL INTERACTION

                        Charles and Marjorie Goodwin
                         Department of Anthropology
                        University of South Carolina
                          Columbia, South Carolina

                             BBN Laboraatories

                  10:30 a.m., Wednesday, January 6, 1988

Abstract:  Using micro-analysis of  video-taped materials, we  will
show how utterances (and the sentences being made visible through
them) are shaped by ongoing processes of interaction between speaker and
recipient(s) that is occurring while the utterance is being spoken.
The emerging utterance is modified as various contingencies emerge within the
interaction.  For example as speaker moves his or her gaze from one
possible recipient to another, the emerging sentence is changed so that it
remains appropriate to its recipient of the moment.  As the
interaction unfolds new segments are added to the emerging utterance,
other projected segments are deleted and the emerging meaning of the
utterance is reconstructed. The utterance thus emerges not from the
actions of speaker alone, but rather as the result of an
collaborative process of interaction that includes the active participation of
recipient(s) as well.

For information about this Seminar Series contact Livia Polanyi
at 873-3455 [lpolanyi@g.bbn.com]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 7 Dec 87 09:01 EST
From: "ETD2::WILSONJ" <wilsonj%etd2.decnet@afwal-aaa.arpa>
Subject: Conference - AAAAIC88 Aerospace Applications of AI

                           AAAIC88 CALL FOR PAPERS

     AEROSPACE APPLICATIONS OF ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE CONFERENCE 1988

                With Neural Networks Aerospace Applications
                          Special Interest Sessions
              Stouffer's Hotel, Dayton, OH, October 25-27, 1988

Particulars - Tutorials will be held on 24 Oct 88.  Workshops will be held on
28 Oct 88.  There will be exhibits by AI companies and related industries as
well as product familiarization sessions.  There will be up to 18 technical
sessions in 5 half-day periods, luncheon speakers and a banquet.

The 4th Aerospace Applications of Artificial Intelligence Conference will
investigate a wide range of topics with heavy emphasis this year on neural
network applications in aerospace.  Topic areas for which timely, original,
technical papers are solicited include:

Integrating Neural Networks and        Knowledge Processing with Neural Nets
   Expert Systems                     Robotics
Neural Networks and Signal Processing Data Fusion/Sensor Fusion
Machine Learning, Cognition & the      Combinatorial Optimization for
   Cockpit                                Scheduling and Resource Control
Machine Vision & Avionics Applications Natural Language Recognition and
Neural Networks and Man-Machine           Synthesis
   Interface Issues                    Self-Organization in Avionics
 Neural Network Development Tools       Applied Adaptive-Resonance
Applied Biological Models              Cooperative and Competitive Network
Parallel Processing & Neural Networks     Dynamics in Aerospace
Automatic Target Recognition           Learning Theory and Techniques
Back Propagation with  Momentum,       Simulation and Implementation of
   Shared Weights or Recurrent            Neural Networks
Network Architectures                  Technology - Microchips, Optics, etc.
 Expert System Development Tools        Applications of Expert Systems in
Aerospace Scheduling                     Manufacturing
Operational and Maintenance Issues     Design Automation
   Using Expert Systems                Data Management
Real Time Expert Systems               Acquisition Management
Knowledge Base Simulation              Verification and Validation of ES
Advanced Problem Solving Techniques    Diagnostics and Fault Isolation

ABSTRACT DEADLINE :  26 Feb 88

Authors are invited to submit abstracts of 500 words in any of the above topic
areas.  Please avoid acronyms or abbreviations in the title of the paper.  A
short biographical sketch of the author(s) to include citizenship, mailing
address and telephone number must be included with the abstract.  Final
manuscripts for papers are due 19 Aug 88.

                       James R. Johnson
   Send abstracts to:  AFWAL/AAOR
                       WPAFB, OH 45433

Sponsored by Dayton SIGART and the Association of Computing Machinery.

------------------------------

Date: 7 Dec 87   12:03 CDT
From: ERIC%SDNET.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
To: NELSON@Q2.ICS.UCI.EDU

                           ICEBOL3

April 21-22, 1988                      Dakota State College
                                        Madison, SD 57042

     ICEBOL3, the International Conference on Symbolic and
Logical Computing, is designed for teachers, scholars, and
programmers who want to meet to exchange ideas about
non-numeric computing.  In addition to a focus on SNOBOL,
SPITBOL, and Icon, ICEBOL3 will feature introductory and
technical presentations on other dangerously powerful
computer languages such as Prolog and LISP, as well as on
applications of BASIC, Pascal, and FORTRAN for processing
strings of characters.  Topics of discussion will include
artificial intelligence, expert systems, desk-top
publishing, and a wide range of analyses of texts in English
and other natural languages.  Parallel tracks of concurrent
sessions are planned: some for experienced computer users
and others for interested novices.  Both mainframe and
microcomputer applications will be discussed.

     ICEBOL's coffee breaks, social hours, lunches, and
banquet will provide a series of opportunities for
participants to meet and informally exchange information.
Sessions will be scheduled for "birds of a feather" to
discuss common interests (for example, BASIC users group,
implementations of SNOBOL, computer generated poetry).

Call For Papers

     Abstracts (minimum of 250 words) or full texts of
papers to be read at ICEBOL3 are invited on any application
of non-numeric programming.  Planned sessions include the
following:
   artificial intelligence
   expert systems
   natural language processing
   analysis of literary texts (including bibliography,
      concordance, and index preparation)
   linguistic and lexical analysis (including parsing and
      machine translation)
   preparation of text for electronic publishing
   computer assisted instruction
   grammar and style checkers
   music analysis.

     Papers must be in English and should not exceed twenty
minutes reading time.  Abstracts and papers should be
received by January 15, 1988.  Notification of acceptance
will follow promptly.  Papers will be published in ICEBOL3
Proceedings.

     Presentations at previous ICEBOL conferences were made
by Susan Hockey (Oxford), Ralph Griswold (Arizona), James
Gimpel (Lehigh), Mark Emmer (Catspaw, Inc.), Robert Dewar
(New York University), and many others.  Copies of ICEBOL 86
Proceedings are available.

                   ICEBOL3 is sponsored by

                The Division of Liberal Arts

                             and

            The Business and Education Institute

                             of

                    DAKOTA STATE COLLEGE
                    Madison, South Dakota

For Further Information

     All correspondence including abstracts and papers as
well as requests for registration materials should be sent
to:

                        Eric Johnson
                       ICEBOL Director
                       114 Beadle Hall
                    Dakota State College
                  Madison, SD 57042 U.S.A.
                       (605) 256-5270

     Inquiries, abstracts, and correspondence may also be
sent via electronic mail to:

                   ERIC @ SDNET  (BITNET)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Dec 87 08:46 EST
From: Joseph L. Katz. <katz@mitre-bedford.ARPA>
Subject: Conference - Request for AAAI-88 Workshop Proposals

                            AAAI-88 Workshops:
                           Request for Proposals

The AAAI-88 Program Committee invites proposals for the Workshop Program of
the Seventh National Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI-88), to be
held at Saint Paul, Minn. from August 21, 1988 to August 26, 1988.  Gathering
in an informal setting, workshop participants will have the opportunity to
meet and discuss issues with a selected focus---providing for active exchange
among researchers and practioners on topics of mutual interest.  Members from
all segments of the AI community are encouraged to submit workshop proposals
for review.

To encourage interaction and a broad exchange of ideas, the workshops will be
kept small---preferably under 35 participants.  Attendance should be limited
to active participants only.  The format of workshop presentations will be
determined by the organizers of the workshop, but ample time must be allotted
for general discussion.  Workshops can range in length from two hours to two
days, but most workshops will last a half day or a full day.

Proposals for workshops should be between 1 and 2 pages in length, and
should contain:
1/ a brief description the workshop identifying specific issues that will be
   focused on.
2/ a discussion of why the workshop would be of interest at this time,
3/ the names and addresses of the organizing committee, preferably 3 or 4
   people not all at the same site,
4/ a list of several potential participants, and
5/ a proposed schedule.

Workshop proposals should be submitted as soon as possible, but no later
than 1 February 1988.  Proposals will be reviewed as they are received and
resources allocated as workshops are approved. Organizers will be notified
of the committee's decision no later than 15 February 1988.

Workshop organizers will be responsible for:
1/ producing a Call for Participation in the workshop, which will be mailed
   to AAAI members by AAAI,
2/ reviewing requests to participate in the workshop, and determining the
   workshop participants,
3/ scheduling the activities of the workshop, and
4/ preparing a review of the workshop, which will be printed in the AI
   Magazine.

AAAI will provide logistical support, will provide a meeting place for
the workshop, and, in conjunction with the organizers, will determine the
date and time of the workshop.

Please submit your workshop proposals, and enquiries concerning workshops,
to:

       Joseph Katz
       MITRE Corporation
       MS L203