[net.micro] repeat: orinignal Zubkoff data compresssion message.

BILLW@SRI-KL.ARPA (07/01/84)

From:  William Chops Westfield <BILLW@SRI-KL.ARPA>

Date:  5 Aug 1981 2251-EDT
From:  (Leonard N Zubkoff) <Zubkoff at CMU-20C>
Subject: New Concept-100/104 Software

This is a general announcement to the ArpaNet community of an alternate
set of software that may become available for the Concept line of
terminals made by Human Designed Systems (HDS).

For the past several months, I have been engaged in a personal project
to rewrite the Concept software in order to provide a level of
functionality more in keeping with the needs and capabilities of the
Computer Science community.  While the software is not yet completely
written, it has been operational for the last 3 months and is in use in
several terminals here at Carnegie-Mellon University.

Since we at CMU have copies of the original HDS software under a
non-disclosure agreement, I am not at liberty to distribute the software
I have written beyond CMU.  I have been in contact with officials of
HDS, and they have shown interest in making this available to the
Concept user community if there is sufficient demand.

The purpose of this message is two-fold.  First, I want to solicit
comments about the software I've designed in order that I may
incorporate other features that I may have overlooked.  Second, I need
to determine whether there is a demand in the Concept user community
either to upgrade existing terminals or purchase new ones with my
software as opposed to the standard software supplied by HDS.

Let me begin by giving a brief description of the goals I set for the
software.  The software was designed explicitly for the type of
environment we have now and are developing at CMU.  At present, screen

***Error on net connection***

=== brl-aos netread error from sri-kl.arpa at Sun Jul  1 15:15:57  ===