[comp.ai.nlang-know-rep] NL-KR Digest Volume 5 No. 13

nl-kr-request@CS.ROCHESTER.EDU (NL-KR Moderator Brad Miller) (09/01/88)

NL-KR Digest             (8/31/88 19:13:06)            Volume 5 Number 13

Today's Topics:
        Re: Chinese-English Machine Translation
        WANTED: speech data
        Pinker & Prince on Rules & Learning

        Localized Event-based Planning For Multiagent Domains - Amy
                 Lansky
        proceedings of the 11th ACM-SIGIR Conference
        Knowledge Representation and Reasoning 89 - call for papers
        SGAICO Connectionism Conference: revised program
        Call for papers: SCAI'89

Submissions: NL-KR@CS.ROCHESTER.EDU
Requests, policy: NL-KR-REQUEST@CS.ROCHESTER.EDU

Date: Mon, 22 Aug 88 16:47 EDT
From: HEARNE@wwu.edu
Subject:  Re: Chinese-English Machine Translation

One of my graduate students intends to write a thesis on
Chinese natural language processing, possibly Chinese-English
Machine Translation.   A superficial glance at the computational
linguistics world reveals very little contemporary activity and
we would be grateful for helpful information from those involved
in Chinese computational linguistics or know of current
projects.

We are especially interested in:

   1) existing corpora and machine-readable dictionaries
   2) applications of the categorial grammar to Chinese

I will collect all replies and broadcast them to interested
parties.

Thank you.

Jim Hearne,
Computer Science Department,
Western Washington University,
Bellingham, Washington 98225

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 30 Aug 88 11:27 EDT
From: Jagath SamaraBandu <bandu@cs.Buffalo.EDU>
Subject: WANTED: speech data

Could somebody please mail me some speech data which I need for testing
purposes?  It will be really helpful if the text (spoken) is also included.

Thanks in advance

Jagath samarabandu

email - bandu@cs.buffalo.edu v092r8c2@ubvms.bitnet

Jagath K. Samarabandu (716)-835-4639	|	bandu@cs.buffalo.edu
518, Lasalle Ave.,Buffalo,NY14215	|	v092r8c2@ubvms.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Aug 88 14:17 EDT
From: Stevan Harnad <harnad@mind.UUCP>
Subject: Pinker & Prince on Rules & Learning

On Pinker & Prince on Rules & Learning

Steve: Having read your Cognition paper and twice seen your talk
(latest at cogsci-88), I thought I'd point out what look like some
problems with the argument (as I understand it). In reading my comments,
please bear in mind that I am NOT a connectionist; I am on record as a
sceptic about connectionism's current accomplishments (and how they are
being interpreted and extrapolated) and as an agnostic about its future
possibilities.  (Because I think this issue is of interest to the
connectionist/AI community as a whole, I am branching a copy of this
challenge to connectionists and comp.ai.)

(1) An argument that pattern-associaters (henceforth "nets") cannot do
something in principle cannot be based on the fact that a particular
net (Rumelhart & McClelland 86/87) has not done it in practice.

(2) If the argument is that nets cannot learn past tense forms (from
ecologically valid samples) in principle, then it's the "in principle"
part that seems to be missing. For it certainly seems incorrect that past
tense formation is not learnable in principle. I know of no
poverty-of-the-stimulus argument for past tense formation. On the
contrary, the regularities you describe -- both in the irregulars and
the regulars -- are PRECISELY the kinds of invariances you would
expect a statistical pattern learner that was sensitive to higher
order correlations to be able to learn successfully. In particular, the
form-independent default option for the regulars should be readily
inducible from a representative sample. (This is without even
mentioning that surely no one imagines that past-tense formation is an
independent cognitive module; it is probably learned jointly with
other morphological regularities and irregularities, and there may
well be degrees-of-freedom-reducing cross-talk.)

(3) If the argument is only that nets cannot learn past tense forms without
rules, then the matter is somewhat vaguer and more equivocal, for
there are still ambiguities about what it is to be or represent a "rule."
At the least, there is the issue of "explicit" vs. "implicit"
representation of a rule, and the related Wittgensteinian distinction
between "knowing" a rule and merely being describable as behaving in
accordance with a rule. These are not crisp issues, and hence not a
solid basis for a principled critique. For example, it may well be
that what nets learn in order to form past tenses correctly is
describable as a rule, but not explicitly represented as one (as it
would be in a symbolic program); the rule may simple operate as a causal
I/O constraint. Ultimately, even conditional branching in a symbolic
program is implemented as a causal constraint; "if/then" is really
just an interpretation we can make of the software. The possibility of
making such systematic, decomposable semantic intrepretations is, of course,
precisely what distinguishes the symbolic approach from the
connectionistic one (as Fodor/Pylyshyn argue). But at the level of a few
individual "rules," it is not clear that the higher-order interpretation AS
a formal rule, and all of its connotations, is justified. In any case, the
important distinction is that the net's "rules" are LEARNED from statistical
regularities in the data, rather than BUILT IN (as they are,
coincidentally, in both symbolic AI and poverty-of-the-stimulus-governed
linguistics). [The intermediate case of formally INFERRED rules does
not seem to be at issue here.]

So here are some questions:

(a) Do you believe that English past tense formation is NOT learnable
(except as "parameter settings" on an innate structure, from
impoverished data)? If so, what are the supporting arguments for that?

(b) If past tense formation IS learnable in the usual sense (i.e.,
by trial-and-error induction of regularities from the data sample), then do
you believe that it is specifically unlearnable by nets? If so, what
are the supporting arguments for that?

(c) If past tense formation IS learnable by nets, but only if the
invariance that the net learns and that comes to causally constrain its
successful performance is describable as a "rule," what's wrong with that?

Looking forward to your commentary on Lightfoot, where
poverty-of-the-stimulus IS the explicit issue, -- best wishes, Stevan Harnad
--
Stevan Harnad   ARPANET:  harnad@mind.princeton.edu         harnad@princeton.edu
harnad@confidence.princeton.edu     srh@flash.bellcore.com      harnad@mind.uucp

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Aug 88 12:33 EDT
From: CHIN%PLU@ames-io.ARPA
Subject: Localized Event-based Planning For Multiagent Domains - Amy
         Lansky

              National Aeronautics and Space Administration
                         Ames Research Center

                        SEMINAR ANNOUNCEMENT

SPEAKER:   Amy L. Lansky
           SRI International

TOPIC:    LOCALIZED EVENT-BASED PLANNING FOR MULTIAGENT DOMAINS

ABSTRACT:

This talk will present the GEM concurrency model and GEMPLAN, a multiagent
planner based on this model.  Unlike standard state-based AI representations,
GEM is unique in its explicit emphasis on events and domain structure --
world activitiy is modeled in terms of events occurring within a set of regions.
Event-based temporal logic constraints are then associated with each region
to delimit legal domain behavior.  GEM's emphasis on constraints is directly
reflected in the architecture of the GEMPLAN planner -- it can be viewed
as a general purposed constraint satisfaction facility.  Its task is to
construct a network of interrelated events that satisfies all applicable
regional constraints and also achieves some stated goal.

A key focus of our work has been on the use of --localized--techniques for
domain representation and reasoning.  Such techniques partition domain
descriptions and reasoning tasks according to the regions of activity within
a domain.  For example, GEM localizes the applicability of domin constraints
and also imposes additional "locality constraints" based on domain structure.
 This use of locality helps alleviate several aspects of the frame problem
for multiagent domains.  The GEMPLAN planner also reflects the use of locality;
its constraint satisfaction search space is subdivided into regional planning
search spaces.  GEMPLAN can pinpoint and rectify interactions among these
regional search spaces, thereby reducing the burden of "interaction analysis"
ubiquitous to most planning systems.

DATE: Wednesday       TIME: 2:00 pm - 3:30 pm     BLDG. 244   Room 103
      August 31, 1988       --------------

POINT OF CONTACT: Marlene Chin   PHONE NUMBER: (415) 694-6527
     NET ADDRESS: chin@pluto.arc.nasa.gov

VISITORS ARE WELCOME: Register and obtain vehicle pass at Ames Visitor
Reception Building (N-253) or the Security Station near Gate 18.  Do not
use the Navy Main Gate.

Non-citizens (except Permanent Residents) must have prior approval from the
Director's Office one week in advance.  Submit requests to the point of
contact indicated above.  Non-citizens must register at the Visitor
Reception Building.  Permanent Residents are required to show Alien
Registration Card at the time of registration.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 31 Aug 88 01:43 EDT
From: Hector Levesque <hector@ai.toronto.edu>
Subject: Knowledge Representation and Reasoning 89 - call for papers

                              _     _   _
                          |/ |_|   |_| |_|
                          |\ | \   |_|  _|

The First International Conference on Principles of Knowledge Representation
and Reasoning will be held in Toronto, Canada on May 15-18 1989.  KR'89 will
bring together researchers interested in the principles governing systems that
use general-purpose reasoning algorithms over explicit representations of
knowledge.  Authors are requested to submit extended abstracts (not complete
papers) of at most 8 double-spaced pages (12 point), although substantially
longer full papers will appear in the conference proceedings to be published by
Morgan Kaufmann Publishers Inc.  The important dates for KR'89 are:

Submission receipt deadline:            November 1, 1988
Author notification date:               December 15, 1988
Camera-ready copy due to publisher:     February 15, 1989
Conference:                             May 15-18, 1989

A call for papers for KR'89 with full details on topics, submissions, and
review criteria can be found in the journal Artificial Intelligence (vol. 35,2,
June 1988, p. 281), the AI Magazine (vol. 9,1, Spring 1988, p. 137), the AISB
Newsletter (no. 64, p.27), the SIGART Newsletter (no. 104, April 1988, p. 47),
and the Canadian AI Newsletter (April 1988, p.36).  Inquiries of a general
nature can be addressed to the Conference Chair, Ray Reiter, whose csnet
address is reiter@ai.toronto.edu.

Ron Brachman and Hector Levesque
KR'89 Program Chairs

[ See also news.announce.conferences on Usenet for a detailed CFP ]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Aug 88 06:11 EDT
From: Equipe Chiaramella <mcvax!imag.imag.fr!siri@uunet.UU.NET>
Subject: proceedings of the 11th ACM-SIGIR Conference

The proceedings of the 11th ACM-SIGIR (Information Retrieval) Conference,
which held in Grenoble (France), JUne 13-15 1988, are available.

You can order them at the following address :
	PUG
	BP 47X
	38040 Grenoble Cedex
	France
They cost 400FF (which does not include postage).

                   PROGRAM OF THE 88ACM - SIGIR Conference

       11th INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT
                   IN  INFORMATION RETRIEVAL

 			JUNE 13-15, 1988
                    	GRENOBLE  FRANCE

PROGRAM COMMITTEE
	M. Adiba(F)		A. Bookstein(USA)	C. Bouche(F)
	M.F. Bruandet(F)	E. Chouraqui(F)		W.B. Croft(USA)
	T.E Doszkocs(USA)	A.S. Fraenkel(ISRAEL)	N. Fuhr(RFA)
	G. Knorz(RFA)		S. Miranda(F)		C.D. Paice(UK)
	V. Quint(F)		F. Rabitti(I)		V.V Raghavan(USA)
	K.V.Rijsbergen(UK)	G. Salton(USA)		P. Willet(UK)
	S.K.M. Wong(CANADA)

Guest Conference by K. Sparck Jones
NATURAL LANGUAGE PROCESSING (1)
	Chairman : C.D. Paice
	A.F. Smeaton (Nat. Inst. for Higher Education Glasnevin)
Experiments on Incorporating Syntactic Processing of User Queries into a
Document Retrieval Strategy
	S. Bonzi, E. Liddy (Syracuse University)
The Use of Anaphoric Resolution for Document Description in Information
Retrieval

NATURAL LANGUAGE PROCESSING (2)
	Chairman: Y. Chiaramella
	G. Antoniadis, G. Lallich-Boidin, Y. Polity,
	J. Rouault (CRISS - Grenoble)
French Text Recognition Model for Information Retrieval System
	P. S. Jacobs, L.F. Rau (GE RDC Schenectady)
Natural Language Techniques for Intelligent Information Retrieval

NATURAL LANGUAGE PROCESSING (3)
	Chairman: Y. Chiaramella
	J. Veronis (CNRS GRTC Marseille)
Correction of Phonographic Errors in Natural Language Interfaces
	B. Revzner (Inst. Povisheniya Kvalificatsii, Moscow)
Precedental Data Bases: How and Why they are Worked out and Used

COGNITIVE MODELS
	Chairman: J. Tague
	D.O. Case (University of California)
How do the Experts do it ? The Use of Ethnographic Methods as an Aid to
understanding the Cognitive Processing and Retrieval of Large Bodies of Text
	N.J. Belkin (Rutgers University)
On the Nature and Function of Explanation in Intelligent Information Retrieval

PARALLEL DISTRIBUTED PROCESSING
	Chairman: P. Willett
	G. Salton, C. Buckley (Cornell University)
Using Spreading Activation Methods in Automatic Information Retrieval
	R.J. Brachman, D.L. McGuinness (AT&T Bell Laboratories)
Knowledge Representation, Connectionism, and Conceptual Retrieval

APPLICATIONS (1)
	Chairman: W.B. Croft
	J. Seo (University of Texas at Austin)
BABEL : A Base for an Experimental Library
	L.P. Jones, C. deBessonet, S. Kundu (Louisiana State University)
ALLOY : An Amalgamation of Expert, Linguistic and Statistical Indexing Methods

QUANTITATIVE MODELS (1)
	Chairman: G. Salton
	C.T. Yu, H. Mizuno (Univ. of Illinois at Chicago)
Two Learning Schemes in Information Retrieval
	S.K.M. Wong, Y.Y. Yao (Univ. of Regina), P. Bollmann
Linear Structure in Information Retrieval
	F. Hirabayashi, H. Matoba, Y. Kasahara (NEC Corporation)
Information Retrieval Using Impression of Documents as a Clue

QUANTITATIVE MODELS (2)
	Chairman: S. K. M. Wong
	P. Bollmann (Technische Univ. Berlin), V.V. Raghavan
A Utility-Theoretic Analysis of Expected Search Length
	N. Fuhr, H. Huther (T.H. Darmstadt)
Optimum Probability Estimation based on Expectations

THESAURAL MODELS
	Chairman: N. Fuhr
	H.P. Giger (Swiss Federal Institute of Technology - Zurich)
Concept Based Retrieval in Classical IR Systems
	E. A. Fox, G. L. Nunn,  W. C. Lee (Virginia Polyt. Institute)
Coefficients for Combining Concept Classes in a Collection
	C. J. Crouch (Tulane University, New Orleans)
A Cluster-Based Approach to Thesaurus Construction

APPLICATIONS (2)
	Chairman: A. Bookstein
	D. Harman (Lister Hill Cent. for Biomedical Comm.)
Towards Interactive Query Expansion
	P. Biebricher, N. Fuhr, G. Lustig, M. Schwantner
	(Technische Hochschule, Darmstadt)
The Automatic Indexing System AIR/PHYS - From Research to Application

INTERFACES (1)
	Chairman: T. E. Doszkocs
	A. J. Kok, A. M. Botman (Vrije Univ. Amsterdam)
Retrieval Based on User Behaviour
	P. Simpson (Princeton Univ.)
Query Processing in a Heterogeneous Retrieval Network
	J. Tague, R. Schultz (Univ. of Western Ontario)
Some Measures and Procedures for Evaluation of the User Interface in an
Information Retrieval System

INTERFACES (2)
	Chairman: G. Knorz
	G. Brajnik, G. Guida, C. Tasso (Univ. di Udine)
IR-NLI II: Applying Man-Machine Interaction and AI Concepts to Information Retrieval
	F. N. Teskey (Brighton Polytechnic)
Intelligent Support for Interface Systems

DATA BASES
	Chairman: M. Adiba
	R. Gonzalez-Rubio, M. Couprie (Centre de Recherche Bull)
A Parallel Multiprocessor Machine Dedicated to Relationnal and Deductive Data
Bases
	P. Bosc, M. Galibourg (IRISA)
Flexible Selection among Objects : A Framework Based On Fuzzy Sets
	C. Damier, B. Defude (MATRA)
The Document Management Component of a Multimedia Data Model

ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE  (1)
	Chairman: E. Chouraqui
	G. W. Furnas (Bellcore), S. Deerwester, S. Dumais,
	T. Landauer, R. Harshman
Information Retrieval Using a Singular Value Decomposition Model of Latent
Semantic Structure
	W.B. Croft, T.J. Lucia, P.R. Cohen (Univ. of Massachusetts)
Retrieving Documents by Plausible Inference: A Preliminary Study

LOGICAL MODELS
	Chairman: K. Van Rijsbergen
	J. Nie (LGI-IMAG, Grenoble)
An outline of a general model for Information Retrieval Systems.
	S. Laine, O. Larouk, I. Vidalenc ( SYDOL, Univ. Lyon I et II)
Textual Information Systems: the contribution of extentional and intentional
logics.
	P. Schauble (Zurich Federal Institute of Technology)
An Information Structure dealing with Term Dependence and Polysemy

ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE (2)
	Chairman: G. Knorz
	C. Barthes, P. Glize (Univ. Paul Sabatier, Toulouse)
Planning in an Expert System for Automated Information  Retrieval
	G.P. Zarri (CNRS Paris)
Conceptual Representation for Knowledge Bases and "Intelligent" Information
Retrieval Systems

SET ORIENTED MODELS
	Chairman: V.V. Raghavan
	P. Das-Gupta (George Mason University)
Rough Sets and Information Retrieval
	A. Bookstein (University of Chicago)
Set Oriented Retrieval

IMPLEMENTATION TECHNIQUES
	Chairman: F. Rabitti
	Y. Choueka (Univ. Bar-Ilan, Isral), A.S. Fraenkel,S.T. Klein
Compression of Concordances in Full-Text Retrieval Systems
	Y.H. Ng , S.P.V. Barros (Univ. of London)
Active Memory for Text Information Retrieval
	C. Jimenez Guarin (LGI-IMAG, Grenoble)
Access by Content of Documents in an Office Information System

APPLICATIONS (3)
	Chairman: A.S. Fraenkel
	R.H. Ledwith (Colombus, Ohio)
Development of a Large, Concept-Oriented Database for Information Retrieval
	E. Wilson (Univ. of Kent at Canterbury)
Integrated Information Retrieval for Law in a Hypertext Environment

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Aug 88 09:00 EDT
From: Rolf Pfeifer <pfeifer%ifi.unizh.ch@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: SGAICO Connectionism Conference: revised program

SGAICO Conference (REVISED PROGRAM)

Program and Call for Presentation of Ongoing Work

       C O N N E C T I O N I S M   I N   P E R S P E C T I V E

                University of Zurich, Switzerland
                     10-13 October 1988

Tutorials:              10 October 1988
Technical Program:      11 - 12 October 1988
Workshops and
  Poster/demonstration
  session               13 October 1988

                        - SGAICO (Swiss Group for Artificial Intelligence and
                                Cognitive Science)
                        - Gottlieb Duttweiler Institute (GDI)

About the conference
____________________

Introdution:
Connectionism has gained much attention in recent years as a paradigm for
building models of intelligent systems in which intresting behavioral
properties emerge from complex interactions of a large number of simple
"neuron-like" elements. Such work is highly relevant to fields such as
cognitive science, artificial intelligence, neurobiology, and computer
science and to all disciplines where complex dynamical processes and
principles of self-organization are studied. Connectionism models seem to be
suited for solving many problems which have proved difficult in the past
using traditional AI techniques. But to what extent do they really provide
solutions? One major theme of the conference is to evaluate the import of
connectionist models for the various disciplines. Another one is to see
in what ways connectionism, being a young discipline in its present form,
can benefit from the influx of concepts and research results from other
disciplines. The conference includes tutorials, workshops, a technical program
and panel discussions with some of the leading researchers in the field.

Tutorials:
The goal of the tutorials is to introduce connectionism to people who are
relatively new to the field. They will enable participants to follow the
technical program and the panel discussions.

Technical Program:
There are many points of view to the study of intelligent systems. The
conference will focus on the views from connectionism, artificial
intelligence and cognitive science, neuroscience, and complex dynamics.
Along another dimension there are several significant issues in the study
of intelligent systems, some of which are "Knowledge representation and
memory", "Perception, sequential processing, and action", "Learning", and
"Problem solving and reasoning". Researchers from connectionism, cognitive
science, artificial intelligence, etc. will take issue with the ways
connectionism is approaching these various problem areas. This idea is
reflected in the structure of the program.

Panel Discussions:
There will be panel discussion with experts in the field on specialized
topics which are of particular interest to the application of connectionism.

Workshops and Presentations of Ongoing Work:
The last day of the conference is devoted to wokrshops with the purpose of
identifying the major problems that currently exist within connectionism,
to define future research agendas and collaborations, to provide a
platform for the interdisciplinary exchange of information and experience,
and to find a framework for practical applications. The workshop day will
als feature presentation of ongoing work (see "Call for presentation of
ongoing work").

*                                                                             *
* CALL FOR PRESENTATION OF OINGOING WORK                                      *
*                                                                             *
* Presentations are invited on all areas of connectionist research. The focus *
* is on current research issues, i.e. "work in progress" is of highest        *
* interest even if major problems remain to be resolved. Work of RESEARCH     *
* GROUPS OR LABORATORIES is particularly welcome. Presentations can be in the *
* form of poster, or demonstration of prototypes. The goal is to encourage    *
* cooperation and the exchange of ideas between different research groups.    *
* Please submit an extended abstract (1-2 pages).                             *
*                                                                             *
* Deadline for submissions:     September 2, 1988                             *
* Notification of acceptance:   September 20, 1988                            *
*                                                                             *
* Contact: Zoltan Schreter, Computer Science Department, University of        *
* Zurich, Switzerland, Winterthurerstrasse 190, CH-8057 Zurich, Switzerland   *
* Phone: (41) 1 257 43 07/11                                                  *
* Fax: (41) 1 257 40 04                                                       *
* or send mail to                                                             *
* pfeifer@ifi.unizh.ch                                                        *
*                                                                             *

Tutorials

MONDAY, October 10, 1988

08.30   Tutorial 1: Introduction to neural nets.
        F. Fogelman
                - Adaptive systems: Perceptrons (Rosenblatt) and Adalines
                  (Widrow & Hoff)
                - Associative memories: linear model (Kohonen),
                  Hopfield networks, Brain state in a
                  box model  (BSB; Anderson)
                - Link to other disciplines

09.30   Coffee

10.00   Tutorial 2: Self-organizing Topological maps.
        T. Kohonen
                - Theory
                - Application: Speech-recognizing systems
                - Tuning of maps for optimal recognition accuracy
                  (learning vector quantization)

11:30   Tutorial 3: Multi-layer neural networks.
        Y. Le Cun
                - Elementary learning mechanisms (LMS and Perceptron) and
                  their limitations
                - Easy and hard learning
                - Learning in multi-layer networks: The back-propagation
                  algorithm (and its variations)
                - Multi-layer networks:
                        - as associative memories
                        - for pattern recognition (a case study)
                - Network design techniques; simulators and software tools

13.00   Lunch

14.00   Tutorial 4: Parallel Distributed Processing of symbolic structure.
        P. Smolensky
                Can Connectionism deal with the kind of complex highly
                structured information characteristic of most AI domains?
                This tutorial presents recent research suggesting that
                the answer is yes.

15.30   Coffee

16.00   Tutorial 5: Connectionist modeling and simulation in neuroscience and
                psychology.
        R. Granger
                Biological networks are composed of neurons with a range of
                biophysical and physiological properties that give rise to
                complex learning and performance rules embedded in
                anatomical architectures with complex connectivity.
                Given this complexity it is of interest to identify which
                of the characteristics of brain networks are central and
                which are less salient with respect to behavioral function.
                "Bottom-up" biological modeling attempts to identify the
                crucial learning and performance rules and their
                appropriate level of abstraction.

17.30   End of tutorial sessions

Technical Program

TUESDAY, October 11, 1988

Introduction

09:00   Connectionism: Is it a new paradigm?            M. Boden

09:45   Discussion

10:00   Coffee

1. Knowledge Representation & Memory.   Chair: F. Fogelman

        The perspective of:

10:30   -       Connectionism   P. Smolensky    Dealing with structure in
                                                Connectionism

11:15   -       AI/             J. Feldman      A critical review of approaches
                Connectionism                   to knowledge representation and
                                                memory in Connectionism

12:00   -       Neuroscience/   C. v. der Malsburg
                Connectionism                   A neural architecture  for
                                                the  representation of
                                                structured objects

12:45   Lunch

2. Perception, Sequential Processing & Action.  Chair:  T. Kohonen

        The perspective of:

14:30   -       Connectionism   M. Kuperstein   Adaptive sensory-motor
                                                coordination using neural
                                                networks

15:15   -       Connectionism/  M. Imbert       Neuroscience and Connectionism:
                Neuroscience                    The case of orientation
                                                coding.

16:00   Coffee

16:30   -       AI/             J. Bridle       Connectionist approaches to
                Connectionism                   artificial perception:
                                                A speech pattern  processing
                                                approach

17:15   -       Neuroscience    G. Reeke        Synthetic neural modeling:
                                                A new approach to Brain Theory

18:00   Intermission/snack

18.30 - 20.00  panel discussion/workshop on

Expert Systems and Connectionism. Chair: S. Ahuja

                D. Bounds       D. Reilly
                Y. Le Cun       R. Serra

WEDNESDAY, October 12, 1988

3. Learning. Chair: R. Serra

        The perspective of:

9:00    -       Connectionism   Y. Le Cun       Generalization  and network
                                                design strategies

9:45    -       AI              Y. Kodratoff    Science of explanations versus
                                                science of numbers

10:30   Coffee

11:00   -       Complex Dynamics/
                Genetic Algorithms
                                H. Muehlenbein  Genetic algorithms and
                                                parallel computers

11:45   -       Neuroscience    G. Lynch        Behavioral effects of learning
                                                rules for long-term
                                                potentiation

12:30   Lunch

4. Problem Solving & Reasoning. Chair:  R. Pfeifer

        The perspective of:

14:00   -       AI/             B. Huberman     Dynamical perspectives on
                Complex Dynamics                problem solving and reasoning

14:45   -       Complex Dynamics
                                L. Steels       The Complex Dynamics of common
                                                sense

15:30   Coffee

16:00   -       Connectionism   J. Hendler      Problem solving and reasoning:
                                                A Connectionist perspective

16:45   -       AI              P. Rosenbloom   A cognitive-levels perspective
                                                on  the role of Connectionism
                                                in symbolic goal-oriented
                                                behavior

17:30   Intermission/snack

18:00 - 19:30 panel discussion/workshop on

Implementation Issues & Industrial Applications. Chair:  P. Treleaven

        B. Angeniol     G. Lynch
        G. Dreyfus      C. Wellekens

Workshops and presentation of ongoing work

THURSDAY, October 13, 1988

9:00-16:00  Workshops in partially parallel sessions. There will be a separate
poster/demonstration session  for the presentation of ongoing work. The
detailed program will be based on the submitted work and will be available at
the beginning of the conference.

The workshops:

1. Knowledge Representation & Memory
        Chair: F. Fogelman

2. Perception, Sequential Processing & Action
        Chair: F. Gardin

3. Learning
        Chair: R. Serra

4. Problem Solving & Reasoning
        Chair: R. Pfeifer

5. Evolutionary Modelling
        Chair: L. Steels

6. Neuro-Informatics in Switzerland: Theoretical and technical neurosciences
        Chair: K. Hepp

7. European Initiatives
        Chair: N.N.

8. Other

16:10   Summing up:  R. Pfeifer

16:30   End of the conference

Program as of June 29, 1988, subject to minor changes

THE SMALL PRINT

Organizers
Computer Science Department, University of Zurich
Swiss Group for Artificial Intelligence and Cognitive Science  (SGAICO)
Gottlieb Duttweiler Institute (GDI)

Location
University of Zurich-Irchel
Winterthurerstrasse 190
CH-8057 Zurich, Switzerland

Administration
Gabi Vogl
Phone: (41) 1 257 43 21
Fax: (41) 1 257 40 04

Information
Rolf Pfeifer
Zoltan Schreter
Computer Science Department, University of Zurich
Winterthurerstrasse 190, CH-8057 Zurich
Phone: (41) 1 257 43 23 / 43 07
Fax: (41) 1 257 40 04

Sanjeev B. Ahuja, Rentenanstalt (Swiss Life)
General Guisan-Quai 40, CH-8022 Zurich
Phone: (41) 1 206 40 61 / 33 11

Thomas Bernold, Gottlieb Duttweiler Institute, CH-8803 Ruschlikon
Phone: (41) 1 461 37 16
Fax: (41) 1 461 37 39

Participation fees
Conference 11-13 October 1988:
Regular                         SFr.    350.--
ECCAI/SGAICO/
        SI/SVI-members          SFr.    250.--
Full time students              SFr.    100.--

Tutorials 10 October 1988:
Regular                         SFr.    200.--
ECCAI/SGAICO/
        SI/SVI-members          SFr.    120.--
Full time students              SFr.     50.--

For graduate students / assistants a limited  number of reduced
fees are available.

Documentation and refreshments are included.
Please remit the fee only upon receipt of invoice by the
Computer Science Department.

Language
The language of the conference is English.

Cancellations
If a registration is cancelled, there will be a  cancellation charge of
SFr. 50.-- after 1st October 1988, unless you name a replacement.

Hotel booking
Hotel booking will be handled separately.
Please indicate on your registration form
whether you would like information on hotel
reservations.

Proceedings
Proceedings of the conference will be published in book form.
They will become available in early 1989.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 30 Aug 88 06:07 EDT
From: Kari Syst{ <ks@tut.fi>
Subject: Call for papers: SCAI'89

			   SCAI'89
    THE SECOND SCANDINAVIAN CONFERENCE ON ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE 1989
			June 13-15, 1989
			Tampere, Finland

                1st Announcement and Call for Papers

The  Conference is organized by the Finnish, Danish, Norwegian and Swedish
artificial  Intelligence Societies  and  Tampere University of Technology.
On behalf of these, the Organization Committee has the pleasure to cordially
invite everyone interested in AI and related topics to participate in SCAI'89.

TECHNICAL PROGRAM

The program of the Conference will contain invited and contributed papers in
plenary and parallel sessions, workshops and an exhibition.

CONTRIBUTIONS INVITED

Contributed papers in the following fields of AI are welcome:

  1. Logic and AI theory
  2. Knowledge representation and inference methods
  3. Knowledge based systems
  4. Natural Language and speech
  5. AI-tools and environments

Prospective authors of papers are invited to return the attached form together
with an extended abstract of their proposed paper.  Abstracts of the papers
should be submitted to the SCAI'89 Secretariat, and are due by October 31,
1988.

ABSTRACTS

The abstracts should be informative rather than descriptive and the text
should not exceed three pages.

MANUSCRIPTS

Acceptance of papers will be notified to the authors by December 31, 1988,
together with full requirements and typing instructions for the manuscripts.
Final manuscripts will have to be submitted for publication not later than
March 31, 1989.

PROCEEDINGS

The written papers will be published in the SCAI'89 Proceedings which will
be distributed to the participants at registration.

WORKSHOPS

It has been planned that a workshop titled "Medical Expert Systems" will be
arranged in connection with the Conference.  Proposals for other workshop
topics are kindly requested to be sent the SCAI'89 Secretariat before October
31, 1988.

EXHIBITION

An exhibition of AI-tools and literature will be held during the Conference.
All enquires should be directed to the SCAI'89 Secreteriat.

SCAI'89 SECRETERIAT

All correspondence should be directed to:

   scai89@tut.fi

or:

   SCAI'89
   Tampere University of Technology
   Ms Raili Siekkinen
   P.O.BOX 527
   SF-33101 Tampere
   Finland

   Phone Int  +358 31 162441
   Telex 22313
   Telefax +358 31 162907

DEADLINES

Abstracts of papers submitted:	  October 31, 1988
Acceptance of papers notified:	  December 31, 1988
2nd Announcement available:	  January 31, 1989
Manuscripts of papers submitted:  March 31, 1989
Registration with reduced fee:   March 31, 1989
Hotel reservation:		  March 31, 1989

Please fill the following questionnaire in and send it to
SCAI'89 Secreteriat before October 31, 1988.  You may send it
either by electronic or ordinary mail.

PRELIMINARY PARTICIPATION QUESTIONNAIRE
(please fill in)

I wish to receive the 2nd announcement
(If more than one copy, quantity indicated)		(  )

I plan to participate in SCAI'89			(  )

I plan to present a paper at the Conference		(  )
(title and abstract enclosed)

My paper concerns the topic:

  1. Logic and AI theory				(  )
  2. Knowledge representation and inference methods	(  )
  3. Knowledge based systems				(  )
  4. Natural Language and speech			(  )
  5. AI-tools and environments				(  )

I will attend the workshop on Medical Expert Systems    (  )

I like to propose a workshop
"                                                      "
to be arranged as a part of the Conference (Detailed
proposal enclosed)

My organization is interested in taking part in the
exhibition, please contact me				(  )

name

company/institution
                   --------------------------------------

address

phone

telefax

electronic mail
Kari Systa      ks@tut.fi (ks@tut.UUCP, ..!mcvax!tut!ks,  ks@fintut.bitnet)
Tampere Univ. Technology/Computer Systems Laboratory           Phone
Po. Box. 527, SF-33101 Tampere                           work: +358 31 162585
Finland                                                  home: +358 31 177412

End of NL-KR Digest