[comp.ai.nlang-know-rep] NL-KR Digest Volume 5 No. 21

nl-kr-request@CS.ROCHESTER.EDU (NL-KR Moderator Brad Miller) (11/03/88)

NL-KR Digest             (11/03/88 00:01:08)            Volume 5 Number 21

Today's Topics:
        Seminar - Knowlege Processing - Hewitt
        Harvard AI colloquim
        Seminar - Probabilistic Semantics - Pearl
        SUNY Buffalo Linguistics Colloq:  Zwicky
        From CSLI Calendar, October 27, 4:6 (includes new publications)
        From CSLI Calendar, November 3, 4:7

Submissions: NL-KR@CS.ROCHESTER.EDU
Requests, policy: NL-KR-REQUEST@CS.ROCHESTER.EDU

Date: Sat, 22 Oct 88 23:19 EDT
From: Carl Hewitt <Hewitt@xx.lcs.mit.edu>
Subject: Seminar - Knowlege Processing - Hewitt

        How an IC Fab is different from an Insect Colony
       (The Importance of Keeping Insects Out of the Fab)

                    Carl Hewitt
           Message Passing Semantics Group
                    MIT AI/LCS

             Tuesday 25 October 1988
                Seminar:  2:30-3:30pm
                Toscanini's Ice Cream: 3:30-...

           MIT AI Lab, NE43-8th floor Playroom
                 545 Tech Sq. Cambridge

 Abstract

Interested
in AI?-Yes->
     |  Knowledge Processing is a new approach that is informed by results
     |  from the sociology of science.  The result is an approach that
     |  challenges both the "scruffies" and the "neats."  Unlike the
     |  scruffies", Knowledge Processing is becoming a principled approach
     |  with rigorous foundations and methods.  Unlike the "neats", Knowledge
    No..processing takes conflict and contradictions to be the norm, thereby
     |  vitiating the most fundamental assumptions of the "neats".  Our
     |  approach incorporates and integrates the work of Howie Becker, Paul
     |  Feyerabend, Elihu Gerson, Bruno Latour, and Susan Leigh Star.  We are
     |  looking for students and staff to work with us to extend the Knowledge
     |  Processing paradigm, make it more rigorous, and apply it to challenging
     |  domains such as the ones discussed below.
     |                                            |
     | <------------------------------------------+
 Interested
 in CS?-Yes->
     | Concurrent multiprocessor computers are the wave of the future. Actors
     | have become the de facto mathematical model for concurrent
     | object-oriented programming languages (OOPSLA-88 Concurrency Workshop).
     | Actors enjoy the theoretical property that they are "ultraconcurrent"
     | which means that the available concurrency is limited only by the laws
     | of physics.  Because they are ultraconcuurent, actors can be as fast
     | as RPC on workstations, as fast as MULTILISP and QLISP on shared
     | address multiprocessors, and as fast as the Cosmic Kernel on
     | distributed memory multicomputers.  To make this theoretical result
     | into a practical reality, we are looking for students and staff to
     | join us to create high performance ultraconcurrent prototypes
    No ...
    | on multiprocessor workstations running Mach and OS/2, on shared address
    |multiprocesors (Encore and Sequent), and on multicomputers (Ametek, Intel,
    | Jellybean, and Mosaic).  Our goal for 1992 is to achieve a sustained
    | rate of 100 billion,  32 bit data path, instructions per second for
    | knowledge processing applications such as the one described below.
    | <-----------------------------------------+
 Interested
 in IC Fab? -- Yes --->
     | Current IC manufacturing technology lacks robustness, flexibility, and
     | efficiency.  Supporting the staff and customers with computer
     | organizations to mediate the work has great potential to dramatically
     | improve the productivity of flexible IC manufacturing. Each human
     | organization (CAD group, physical plant, accounting dept., etc.) will
    No...
     | have its own shadow computer organization to help organize and
     | coordinate its work.  These computer organizations will be designed and
     | managed according to the principles and methods of Knowledge Processing.
     | <-----------------------------------------+
 Interested
 in ICE CREAM? --Yes--> ALL Come!
----
Brad Miller		U. Rochester Comp Sci Dept.
miller@cs.rochester.edu {...allegra!rochester!miller}

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 24 Oct 88 14:41 EDT
From: Ehud Reiter <reiter@harvard.harvard.edu>
Subject: Harvard AI colloquim

HARVARD UNIVERSITY
Center for Research in Computing Technology
Colloquium Series Presents

BAYESIAN AND DEMPSTER-SHAFER FORMALISMS FOR
EVIDENTIAL REASONING: A CONCEPTUAL ANALYSIS

Judea Pearl
Cognitive Systems Laboratory
Computer Science Department
University of California, Los Angeles.

Thursday, October 27, 1988
4 PM, Aiken Computation Lab. 101
(Tea: 3:30 pm, Aiken Basement Lobby)

ABSTRACT

Evidential reasoning is the process of drawing plausible  conclu-
sions   from   uncertain   clues  and  incomplete information. In
most  AI  applications  (e.g.,  diagnosis,  forecasting,  vision,
speech  recognition and language understanding), this process has
been handled   by   ad-hoc   techniques,   embedded   in  domain-
specific  procedures  and data structures.   Recently,  there has
been a strong movement to seek a more principled basis  for  evi-
dential  reasoning,  and the  two  most  popular  contenders that
have emerged are the Bayesian and the Dempster-Shafer  (D-S)  ap-
proaches.

The Bayesian approach is by far the more familiar between the two,
resting  on the rich tradition of statistical decision theory, as
well as on excellent axiomatic  and  behavioral  arguments.   Its
three    defining  attributes are (1) reliance on complete proba-
bilistic model of the domain  (2)  willingness  to  accept   sub-
jective  judgments  as an expedient substitute for empirical data
and (3) the  use  of  Bayes  conditionalization  as  the  primary
mechanism for updating beliefs in light of new information.

D-S belief functions offer an alternative to Bayesian  inference,
in    that  they  do  not require the specification of a complete
probabilistic  model  and, consequently, they do not (and cannot)
use  conditionalization    to   represent  the impact of new evi-
dence. Instead, belief functions compute  PROBABILITY  INTERVALS,
the meaning of which has been a puzzling object to many researchers,
and a subject of much  confusion.

The main purpose of this talk is to offer a clear  interpretation
of  belief  functions, thus facilitating a better appreciation of
their power and  range of  applicability vis a vis those of Baye-
sian inference. We view a belief function as the  PROBABILITY-OF-
NECESSITY, namely, the probability that the uncertain constraints
imposed   by   the evidence, together with the steady constraints
which govern the environment, will be  sufficient  to compel  the
truth  of  a  proposition  (by excluding its negation).  We shall
demonstrate this interpretation on simple examples, then  address
the   more  general  issues of computational, epistemological and
semantic adequacies of the Bayesian and D-S approaches.

Host: Professor Barbara Grosz

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 24 Oct 88 15:41 EDT
From: annette@xx.lcs.mit.edu
Subject: Seminar - Probabilistic Semantics - Pearl

Date: Friday, October 28
Time: 9:30
Place: 8th floor playroom

        PROBABILISTIC SEMANTICS FOR QUALITATIVE REASONING:
             PRELIMINARY RESULTS AND OPEN QUESTIONS

                        Judea Pearl
                Computer Science Department
             University of California, Los Angeles

       The prospect of attaching probabilistic semantics to  con-
ditional   sentences  promises  to  provide   current theories of
commonsense reasoning with useful norms of coherence.  For  exam-
ple,  if we interpret  the sentence "Birds fly"  to mean "If x is
a  bird,  it is highly  probable  that x  can  fly",  then  the
logic  of  high  probabilities  (Adams,1966) imposes some  desir-
able disciplines on how default  theories  should  behave  --  it
posts  requirements of consistency on default statements, it per-
mits the derivation  of  plausible  conclusions  that  have  been
missed   by   other  formalisms and it is free of spurious exten-
sions.  Using    nonstandard    analysis    for    infinitesimals
(Spohn,  1988),  this  logic  can be further refined to represent
shades of  likelihood,  e.g., "likely", "very likely", "extremely
likely", etc.

      However, shades of likelihood are not sufficient to capture
many plausible patterns of reasoning, and must be augmented with
assumptions  invoking  notions of independence  and  causation.
The  maximum-entropy  approach  succeeds in emulating conventions
of independence, but it appears to have  a   basic   clash   with
human understanding  of  causation.   I  shall illustrate the na-
ture of these problems using the  "Yale  shooting  problem"   and
the  "UCLA party problem".

----

Date: Mon, 24 Oct 88 17:05 EDT
From: William J. Rapaport <rapaport@cs.Buffalo.EDU>
Subject: SUNY Buffalo Linguistics Colloq:  Zwicky

                         UNIVERSITY AT BUFFALO
                      STATE UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK

                       DEPARTMENT OF LINGUISTICS
                  GRADUATE GROUP IN COGNITIVE SCIENCE
                                  and
   GRADUATE RESEARCH INITIATIVE IN COGNITIVE AND LINGUISTIC SCIENCES

                                PRESENT

                             ARNOLD ZWICKY

            Department of Linguistics, Ohio State University
             Department of Linguistics, Stanford University

            1.  TOWARDS A THEORY OF SYNTACTIC CONSTRUCTIONS

The past decade has seen the vigorous development of frameworks for syn-
tactic  description  that  not  only are fully explicit (to the point of
being easily modeled in computer programs) but also are integrated  with
an  equally explicit framework for semantic description (and, sometimes,
with equally explicit  frameworks  for  morphological  and  phonological
description).   This  has  made it possible to reconsider the _construc-
tion_ as a central concept in syntax.

Constructions are, like words, Saussurean signs--linkages of  linguistic
form  with  meanings  and pragmatic values.  The technical problem is to
develop the appropriate logics for the  interactions  between  construc-
tions,  both  with  respect  to  their  form  and  with respect to their
interpretation.  I am concerned here primarily with the formal  side  of
the  matter,  which turns out to be rather more intricate than one might
have  expected.   Constructions  are  complexes  of   categories,   sub-
categories, grammatical relations, conditions on governed features, con-
ditions on agreeing features, conditions on phonological  shape,  condi-
tions  on branching, conditions on ordering, _and_ specific contributory
constructions (so that, for example, the subject-auxiliary  construction
in  English  contributes  to  several  others, including the information
question construction, as in `What might you have seen?').  The  schemes
of  formal  interaction  I  will  illustrate  are overlapping, or mutual
applicability; superimposition, or invocation; and preclusion, or  over-
riding of defaults.

                       Thursday, November 3, 1988
                               5:00 P.M.
                       Baldy 684, Amherst Campus

       There will be an evening discussion on Nov. 3, 8:00 P.M.,
         at the home of Joan Bybee, 38 Endicott, Eggertsville.

     2.  INFLECTIONAL MORPHOLOGY AS A (SUB)COMPONENT OF GRAMMAR

                        Friday, November 4, 1988
                               3:00 P.M.
                       Baldy 684, Amherst Campus

                       Wine and cheese to follow.

Call Donna Gerdts (Dept. of Linguistics, 636-2177) for further information.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Oct 88 20:10 EDT
From: Emma Pease <emma@csli.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: From CSLI Calendar, October 27, 4:6

   What is Planning? What does it have to do with Language Processing?
			      Ray Perrault
			 (rperrault@ai.sri.com)
			       November 3

   Various notions of `plan', or complex action, have been developed in
   AI in the course of developing programs that can automatically
   construct courses of behavior to achieve certain goals.  Tradeoffs can
   be made between the expressive power of the languages in which states
   and actions can be expressed and the computational difficulty of
   processes by which plans can be constructed, i.e., `planning', or
   inferred, i.e., `plan recognition'.
      We will review some of the main lines of research on plans in AI,
   as well as applications made of those notions to problems in language
   understanding, including language generation, speech act theory, and
   understanding of stories and dialogues.

			      ____________
			NEXT WEEK'S CSLI SEMINAR
	 The Resolution Problem for Natural-Language Processing
      Weeks 6: Knowledge-based Approaches to the Resolution Problem
			       Jerry Hobbs
		       (hobbs@warbucks.ai.sri.com)
			       November 3

   We will continue examining various AI approaches to the resolution
   problem, concentrating on those that try to make extensive use of
   world knowledge and context.  We will especially be looking at the
   work of Hirst, Charniak, and approaches using abductive inference.

                             --------------
				CSLI TALK
	      Proof Normalization with Nonstandard Objects
			      Shigeki Goto
	       Nippon Telegraph and Telephone Corporation
			Monday, 31 October, 2:30
		       Cordura Conference Room 100

   It is well known that formal proof systems can serve as programming
   languages.  A proof that describes an algorithm can be executed by
   Prawitz's normalization procedure.  This talk extends the
   computational use of proofs to realize a lazy computation formally.
   It enables computation of a proof over stream objects (infinitely long
   lists) as in Concurrent Prolog.
      To deal with infinitely long objects, we will extend the number
   theory to incorporate infinite numbers.  This is an application of
   nonstandard analysis to computer programs.  We will show that the rule
   of mathematical induction can be extended to cover infinite numbers
   with appropriate computational meaning.
      The method of introducing nonstandard integers was independently
   proposed by the speaker (Goto) and Professor Per Martin-Lof at
   Stockholm University.  He will briefly discuss Martin-Lof's extension
   of his constructive type theory.
                             --------------
				  TALK
		       Minds, Machines, and Searle
			      Stevan Harnad
			 (harnad@princeton.edu)
		       Thursday, 3 November, 10:00
		      Cordura Hall Conference Room

   Searle's provocative "Chinese Room Argument" attempted to show that
   the goals of "Strong AI" are unrealizable.  Proponents of Strong AI
   are supposed to believe that (i) the mind is a computer program, (ii)
   the brain is irrelevant, and (iii) the Turing Test is decisive.
   Searle's point is that since the programmed symbol-manipulating
   instructions of a computer capable of passing the Turing Test for
   understanding Chinese could always be performed instead by a person
   who could not understand Chinese, the computer can hardly be said to
   understand Chinese.  Such "simulated" understanding, Searle argues, is
   not the same as real understanding, which can only be accomplished by
   something that "duplicates" the "causal powers" of the brain. In this
   paper I make the following points:

	   1.  Simulation versus Implementation
	   2.  Theory-Testing versus Turing-Testing
	   3.  The Convergence Argument
	   4.  Brain Modeling versus Mind Modeling
	   5.  The Modularity Assumption
	   6.  The Teletype versus the Robot Turing Test
	   7.  The Transducer/Effector Argument
	   8.  Robotics and Causality
	   9.  Symbolic Functionalism versus Robotic Functionalism
	   10. "Strong" versus "Weak" AI

			     ---------------
			    NEW PUBLICATIONS

   The CSLI Publications Office is pleased to announce the publication of
   three new titles.

   The second edition of Johan van Benthem's
   "A Manual of Intensional Logic"
   (Revised and Expanded)

   Intensional logic, as understood here, is based on the broad
   presupposition that so-called intensional contexts in natural language
   can be explained semantically by the idea of multiple reference.  Van
   Benthem reviews work on tense, modality, and conditionals and then
   presents recent developments in intensional theory, including
   partiality and generalized quantifiers.  The text of the first edition
   has been substantially revised, and three new chapters have been
   added.

   Johan van Benthem is professor of mathematical logic at the University
   of Amsterdam.

   Cloth: $29.95	ISBN: 0-937073-30-X

   Paper: $12.95	ISBN: 0-937073-29-6

   Tore Langholm's
   "Partiality, Truth and Persistence"

   This book is a study in the theory of partially defined models.
   Langholm compares in detail the various alternatives for extending the
   definition of truth or falsity that holds with classical, complete
   models to partial models.  He also investigates the monotonicity of
   truth and other inexpressible conditions.  These discussions culminate
   with a combined Lindstrom and persistence characterization theorem.

   Tore Langholm is a research fellow in mathematics at the University of
   Oslo.

   Cloth: $29.95	ISBN: 0-937073-35-0

   Paper: $12.95	ISBN: 0-937073-34-2

   "Papers from the Second International
   Conference on Japanese Syntax"
   (Edited by William Poser)

   Cloth: $40.00	ISBN: 0-937073-39-3

   Paper: $15.95	ISBN: 0-937073-38-5

   These titles are distributed by the Univesity of Chicago Press and may
   be purchased in academic or university bookstores or ordered directly
   from the distributor at 5801 Ellis Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60637.
   (1-800) 621-2736.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Nov 88 20:28 EST
From: Emma Pease <emma@csli.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: From CSLI Calendar, November 3, 4:7

	       Higher-Level Lexical Structure and Parsing
			    Michael Tanenhaus
			 University of Rochester
		   (mtan@prodigal.psych.rochester.edu)
			       November 10

   Sentences with long-distance dependencies (filler-gap sentences)
   present interesting problems of ambiguity resolution. This paper will
   present results from a series of experiments, using both behavioral
   measures and brain-evoked potential measures, that provide a detailed
   picture of how people use verb argument structure and verb control
   information to posit and fill gaps. The results provide intriguing
   suggestions about the interaction among syntactic, semantic, and
   lexical information in parsing.

End of NL-KR Digest