[comp.ai.nlang-know-rep] NL-KR Digest Volume 5 No. 27

nl-kr-request@CS.ROCHESTER.EDU (NL-KR Moderator Brad Miller) (11/12/88)

NL-KR Digest             (11/11/88 20:17:15)            Volume 5 Number 27

Today's Topics:
        Inherit through net
        query on matching of knowledge representation structures
        HPSG??
        Machine Learning, K.R. and CogSci Grad programs?

        ai colloquia
        Generation and Recognition of Affixational Morphology (Unisys Seminar)
        [mitch@chalet.aca.mcc.com (Linda Mitchell): Speaker Announcement]
        From CSLI Calendar, November 10, 4:8

        Visiting position in Natural Language Understanding

Submissions: NL-KR@CS.ROCHESTER.EDU
Requests, policy: NL-KR-REQUEST@CS.ROCHESTER.EDU

Date: Thu, 3 Nov 88 11:27 EST
From: Siping Liu <siping@b.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu>
Subject: Inherit through net

In frame knowledge representation systems, knowledge
can be inherited through the tree-style world hierarchies.
i.e., each world has only one parent world.

The question is: if the intersection of the confined problem
spaces for two (or more) brother worlds is not empty, why can not
they have a common child world with the intersection as its
problem space ?

BTW, the question is raised when I am thinking how to fit ATMS
(Assumption-based Truth Maintenance System) into a frame system.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 3 Nov 88 15:49 EST
From: LEWIS@cs.umass.EDU
Subject: query on matching of knowledge representation structures

Can anyone point me to some references on matching of subparts of
frame-based knowledge representation structures? Essentially what I'm
interested in is equivalent to finding some/all/the biggest of the
isomorphic subgraphs of two directed graphs, except that edges and vertices
are labeled, and there are restrictions on what labels are allowed to match.
For additional fun, there might be weights on the edges and vertices as
well, and you might not just be interested in large-sized isomorphic
subgraphs, but in maximal scoring ones.

Still more interesting would be if anything has been done on the case where
you can inferences to the structures before matching, so that you actually
have to search a space of alternative representations, as well as comparing
them.

Suggestions? If text content matching had been a bigger application of NLP
in the past, there'd be a bunch of stuff on this, but as it is, I suspect that
vision or case based reasoning people may have done more on this.

Best,
David D. Lewis                                     ph. 413-545-0728
Computer and Information Science (COINS) Dept.     BITNET: lewis@umass
University of Massachusetts, Amherst               ARPA/MIL/CS/INTERnet:
Amherst, MA  01003                                        lewis@cs.umass.edu
USA
             UUCP: ...!uunet!cs.umass.edu!lewis@uunet.uu.net

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 8 Nov 88 14:52 EST
From: James.Price.Salsman@cat.cmu.edu
Subject: HPSG??

Folks,

I've been folowing the discussion intently.  I know what
GPSG is, but I have never come across HPSG -- could someone
give me a introductory and a difinative reverence?

Also, how are all of you production-based linguists doing
with the popularity surge in connectionist computation?

How do you account for the large amount of ungrammatical
conversation that takes place?
--

:James P. Salsman (jps@CAT.CMU.EDU)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 8 Nov 88 15:57 EST
From: hadj@sbcs.sunysb.edu
Subject: Machine Learning, K.R. and CogSci Grad programs?

     I am looking for computer science graduate programs which
are strong in the areas of Machine Learning and Knowledge
Representation. Also, programs in Cognitive Science are of
particular interest.

     Please e-mail any suggestions, and I can post a summary.

Thanks in advance,

-mike hadjimichael.		        hadj@sbcs.sunysb.edu
{philabs, allegra}!sbcs!hadj            hadj%sbcs.sunysb.edu@sbccvm.bitnet
< departmentofcomputersciencesunystonybrookstonybrooknyoneonesevenninefour >

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 3 Nov 88 14:35 EST
From: Steven Zenith <mcvax!inmos!zenith@uunet.UU.NET>

                            occam user group
                      * artificial  intelligence *
                         special interest group

                             CALL FOR PAPERS
                 1st technical meeting of the OUG AISIG
                         ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
                                   AND
                   COMMUNICATING PROCESS ARCHITECTURE
         17th and 18th of July 1989, at Imperial College, London UK.
                        Keynote speakers will include
                            * Prof. Iann Barron *
                        "Inventor of the transputer"

The conference organising committee includes:
    Dr.med.Ulrich Jobst    Ostertal - Klinik fur Neurologie und
                           klinische Neurophysiologie
    Dr. Heather Liddell,   Queen Mary College, London.
    Prof. Dr. Y. Paker,    Polytechnic of Central London
    Prof. Dr. L. F. Pau,   Technical University of Denmark.
    Prof. Dr. Bernd Radig, Institut Fur Informatik, Munchen.
    Prof. Dr. David Warren Bristol University.

Conference chairmen:
    Dr. Mike Reeve         Imperial College, London
    Steven Ericsson Zenith INMOS Limited, Bristol (Chairman OUG AISIG)

Topics include:
         The transputer and a.i.                 Real time a.i
          Applications for a.i.            Implementation languages
       Underlying kernel support          Underlying infrastructure
          Toolkits/environments                Neural networks

    Papers must be original and of high quality. Submitted papers
    should be about 20 to 30 pages in length, double spaced and single
    column, with an abstract of 200-300 words. All papers will be
    refereed and will be assessed with regard to their quality and
    relevance.

    A volume is being planned to coincide with this conference to be
    published by John Wiley and Sons as a part of their book series on
    Communicating Process Architecture.

    Papers must be submitted by the 1st of February 1988. Notification
    of acceptance or rejection will be given by March 1st 1989.
    Final papers (as camera ready copy) must be provided by April 1st
    1989.

Submissions to be made to either:
    Steven Ericsson Zenith                Mike Reeve
    INMOS Limited,                        Dept. of Computing,
    1000 Aztec West,                      Imperial College,
    Almondsbury,                          180 Queens Gate,
    Bristol BS12 4SQ,                     London SW7 2BZ,
    UNITED KINGDOM.                       UNITED KINGDOM.
    Tel. 0454 616616 x513                 Tel. 01 589 5111 x5033
    email: zenith@inmos.uucp              email: mjr@doc.ic.ac.uk

Regional Organisers:
    J.T Amenyo             Ctr. Telecoms Research, Columbia University,
                           Rm 1220 S.W. Mudd, New York, NY 10027-6699.
    Jean-Jacques Codani    INRIA, Domaine de Voluceau - Rocquencourt,
                           B.P.105-78153 Le Chesnay Cedex, France.
    Pasi Koikkalainen      Lappeenranta University of Technology,
                           Information Technology Laboratory,
                           P.O.BOX 20, 53851 Lappeenrantra, Finland.
    Kai Ming Shea          Dept. of Computer Science,
                           University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong.
    Dr. Peter Kacsuk       Multilogic Computing, 11-1015 Budapest,
                           Csalogaiy u. 30-32. Hungary.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 4 Nov 88 10:49 EST
From: Ron Loui <loui@wucs1.wustl.edu>
Subject: ai colloquia

			COMPUTER SCIENCE COLLOQUIUM

			   Washington University
			         St. Louis

 TITLE: Why AI needs Connectionism? A Representation and Reasoning Perspective

			      Lokendra Shastri
		 Computer and Information Science Department
			   University of Pennsylvania

Any generalized notion of inference is intractable, yet we are capable of
drawing a variety of inferences with remarkable efficiency - often in a few
hundered milliseconds. These inferences are by no means trivial and support a
broad range of cognitive activity such as classifying and recognizing objects,
understanding spoken and written language, and performing commonsense
reasoning.  Any serious  attempt at understanding intelligence must provide a
detailed computational account of how such inferences may be drawn with
requisite efficiency.  In this talk we describe some  work within the
connectionist framework that attempts to offer such an account. We focus on
two connectionist knowledge representation and reasoning systems:

1) A connectionist semantic memory that computes optimal solutions to an
interesting class of inheritance and recognition  problems  extremely
fast - in time proportional to the depth of the conceptual hierarchy.  In
addition to being efficient, the connectionist realization is based on an
evidential formulation and provides a principled treatment of exceptions,
conflicting multiple inheritance, as well as the best-match or
partial-match computation.

2)  A connectionist system that represents knowledge in terms of multi-place
relations (n-ary predicates), and draws a limited class of inferences based on
this knowledge with extreme efficiency. The time taken by the system to draw
conclusions is proportional to the length of the proof, and hence,
optimal.  The system incorporates a solution to the "variable binding" problem
and uses the temporal  dimension to establish and maintain bindings.

We conclude that working within the connectionist framework is well motivated
as it helps in identifying interesting classes of limited inference that can
be performed with extreme efficiently, and aids in discovering constraints
that must be placed on the conceptual structure in order to achieve extreme
efficiency.

host:  Ronald Loui

	1988-89 AI Colloquium Series (through February)

Sep	16	Michael Wellman, MIT/Air Force
			"The Trade-off Formulation Task in Planning under
			Uncertainty"
	30	Kathryn Laskey, Decision Science Consortium
			"Assumptions, Beliefs, and Probabilities"
Nov	4	Lokendra Shastri, University of Pennsylvania
			"Why AI Needs Connectionism?  A Representation and Reasoning
			Perspective"
	11	Peter Jackson, McDonnell Douglas
			"Diagnosis, Defaults, and Abduction"
	18	Eric Horvitz, Stanford University
Dec	2	Mark Drummond, NASA Ames
Feb	3	Fahiem Bacchus, University of Waterloo
	10	Dana Nau, University of Maryland

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 4 Nov 88 22:44 EST
From: finin@PRC.Unisys.COM
Subject: Generation and Recognition of Affixational Morphology (Unisys Seminar)

			      AI SEMINAR
		     UNISYS PAOLI RESEARCH CENTER

			      John Bear
			  SRI International

	Generation and Recognition of Affixational Morphology

Koskenniemi's two-level morphological analysis system can be improved
upon by using a PATR-like unification grammar for handling the
morphosyntax instead of continuation classes, and by incorporating the
notion of negative rule feature into the phonological rule
interpreter.  The resulting system can be made to do generation and
recognition using the same grammars.

		     1:00 am  - November 7, 1988
			 R&D Conference Room
		     Unisys Paoli Research Center
		      Route 252 and Central Ave.
			    Paoli PA 19311

   -- non-Unisys visitors who are interested in attending should --
   --   send email to finin@prc.unisys.com or call 215-648-7446  --

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Nov 88 09:50 EST
From: Kent Wittenburg <HI.WITTENBURG@MCC.COM>
Subject: [mitch@chalet.aca.mcc.com (Linda Mitchell): Speaker Announcement]

                 HUMAN INTERFACE LAB SEMINAR
        John Bear, IBM Germany and SRI International
   GENERATION  AND  RECOGNITION  OF AFFIXATIONAL MORPHOLOGY

Abstract:  A major contribution to computational  morphology
in  recent  years has come from a two-level finite state ap-
proach to the analysis and  generation  of  the   morphology
of   natural   languages.   The  source for this approach is
Kimmo Koskenniemi's dissertation work in   Finland.     Many
others,  including Lauri Karttunen,  Ron  Kaplan,  and  Mar-
tin  Kay of Xerox  PARC  have  elaborated  on  the  original
model.   The  Kimmo approach is characterized  by  a  phono-
logical rule component  based  on finite-state  transduction
where  lexical and surface levels represent the two tapes of
the transducer.  A second level   of   information  is  mor-
phosyntactic information where, for example, one would state
that a language such as English  allows  plural  affixes  to
follow noun roots but not verbs.    In the Kimmo model, mor-
phosyntactic information is stated as a set of  continuation
classes,  again  a finite state model.  In this talk it will
be argued that  the  morphosyntactic   component  is  better
represented as a unification grammar.  The particular imple-
mentation of the author's has used  a   unification  grammar
for  the   morphosyntax   component   similar  to  the  PATR
system  developed  at  SRI.  A  second  extension   of   the
author's   to   the  original  Kimmo  system involves incor-
porating   the   negative   rule   features  into  the  pho-
nological  rule  interpreter.   The  resulting system can be
made to do generation and recognition  of  words  using  the
same grammars.

Where: Microelectronics and Computer Technology Corporation
       Balcones Research Center
       3500 West Balcones Center Drive
       HI Conference Room - 2.806

When:  Friday, November 11, 1:30 P.M.

Host:  Kent Wittenburg, Kent@mcc.com

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 10 Nov 88 11:38 EST
From: Emma Pease <emma@csli>
Subject: From CSLI Calendar, November 10, 4:8

			  NEXT WEEK'S TINLUNCH
		   Reading: "E-Type Pronouns in 1987"
			      by Irene Heim
		   Discussion led by Fernando Pereira
			  (pereira@ai.sri.com)
			       November 17

   We will discuss Irene Heim's draft "E-Type pronouns in 1987." This
   paper considers the question of whether there are good reasons to
   prefer DRT or situation-theoretic treatments of bound anaphora to an
   older approach, due to Evans, Cooper, and others, for which she coins
   the term "E-type analysis." In an E-type analysis, a pronoun is
   represented in LF as a term of the form f(v1,...,vn) where f is a
   function made salient in the context and the vi are variables
   associated to quantified expressions on which the pronoun depends.
   Farmers, donkeys, paychecks, sage plants, spare pawns, and other
   famous characters of semantics play excellent roles in a plot with
   many unexpected turns.

			      ____________
			NEXT WEEK'S CSLI SEMINAR
	 The Resolution Problem for Natural-Language Processing
	   Weeks 8: Some Aspects of the Connectionist Approach
			 to Ambiguity Resolution
			     David Rumelhart
			(der@psych.stanford.edu)
			       November 17

   I will try to sketch the "connectionist program" for linguistic
   information processing.  In particular, I will challenge the idea of a
   fixed lexicon and rather suggest how "word meanings" might be
   "synthesized" as required by the contexts in which they occur.  I will
   offer slightly different instantiations of this idea---one of them
   primarily due to Kowamoto and one due to McClelland and St. John.  I
   will also, time permitting, sketch the rather different connectionist
   approach represented by the work of Gary Cottrel (among others).

			      ____________
			 SYMBOLIC SYSTEMS FORUM
		Logic and Information in Symbolic Systems
		     Jon Barwise and John Etchemendy
			Friday, 11 November, 3:15
		     Sweet Hall, room 026 (basement)

   Many cognitive scientists, though not all, take cognition to be
   intrinsically symbolic.  In particular, they view inference as symbol
   manipulation.  However, another view is that inference is the
   extraction of information.  How do these two views fit together?
      The two of us are currently engaged in a project with SSP major
   Alan Bush to build a computer system, Hyperproof, that allows the user
   to reason by manipulating information, not symbols.  The question is,
   how can one get one's hands on information?  To find out, come to our
   talk.
      Next week, 18 November, the Symbolic Systems Internship Forum will
   be held: in it, each student and faculty sponsor will discuss how the
   summer project went.  This forum is open to the public and will be of
   special interest to: (1) students interested in obtaining Symbolic
   Systems Internships and (2) faculty interested in having interns.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 8 Nov 88 13:37 EST
From: Graeme Hirst <gh@ai.toronto.edu>
Subject: Visiting position in Natural Language Understanding

VISITING POSITION IN NATURAL LANGUAGE UNDERSTANDING

UNIVERSITY OF TORONTO
ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE GROUP
(DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE)

A one-year visiting position, for a post-doc or more senior person, is
available for 1989-90 in the University of Toronto A.I. group in the
area of natural language understanding and computational linguistics.

The visitor would carry a 50% teaching load (one half-course per
semester), participate in the research group activities, and possibly
supervise MSc theses.

The Toronto AI group includes 7.5 faculty, 2 research scientists, and
approximately 40 graduate students.  The natural language subgroup
includes one faculty member (Graeme Hirst) and about ten graduate
students and associates.

For more information, contact Graeme Hirst, preferably by e-mail.

	Graeme Hirst
	Department of Computer Science
	University of Toronto
	Toronto, CANADA  M5S 1A4

	E-mail:  gh@ai.toronto.edu   or .ca
		 gh@ai.utoronto.bitnet
	Phone:  416-978-8747 (Tues, Thurs, Fri) or 416-284-3360 (Mon and Wed)
--
\\\\   Graeme Hirst    University of Toronto	Computer Science Department
////   uunet!utai!gh  /  gh@ai.toronto.edu  /  416-978-8747

End of NL-KR Digest