[comp.ai.nlang-know-rep] NL-KR Digest Volume 6 No. 3

nl-kr-request@cs.rpi.edu (NL-KR Moderator Chris Welty) (02/22/89)

NL-KR Digest             (2/21/89 19:34:05)            Volume 6 Number 3

Today's Topics:

	BBN AI Seminar -- Jim Schmolze
	BBN AI/Education seminar:  Sayeki & Ueno
	SUNY Buffalo Cognitive Science Colloquium
	CSLI Calendar, Feb. 16

Submissions: nl-kr@cs.rpi.edu OR nl-kr@turing.cs.rpi.edu
Requests, policy: nl-kr-request@cs.rpi.edu OR
                  nl-kr-request@turing.cs.rpi.edu

%% My priority will be to get the backlog of announcements out first,
%% then the questions and discussions.  This digest is composed of
%% announcements that are still timely.  I will post the announcements
%% that are late (in case they are of interest anyway) in the next issue.

Date: Tue 21 Feb 89 14:44:41-EST
>From: Marc Vilain <MVILAIN@G.BBN.COM>
Subject: BBN AI Seminar -- Jim Schmolze
To: ai-folks@G.BBN.COM

                    BBN Science Development Program
                       AI Seminar Series Lecture

        GUARANTEEING SERIALIZABLE RESULTS IN PRODUCTION SYSTEMS
                  THAT EXECUTE MANY RULES IN PARALLEL

                              Jim Schmolze
                     Department of Computer Science
                            Tufts University
                  (schmolze%cs.tufts.edu@RELAY.CS.NET)

                                BBN Labs
                           10 Moulton Street
                    2nd floor large conference room
                     10:30 am, Tuesday February 28

To speed up production systems, researchers have studied how to execute many
rules simultaneously.  Unfortunately, such systems can yield results that are
impossible for a serial system to produce, leading to erroneous behaviors.
I will present a fast algorithm that prevents all non-serializable effects for
multi-rule execution systems.  My framework is taken from [IS85] and
improves upon their solution.  I also offer two additional strategies for
increasing concurrency while retaining the serialization guarantee.  The
practical advantages of these strategies is considerable, as shown by my
estimates for a large production system, the Manhattan Mapper [LC83].

[IS85] T. Ishida and S.J. Stolfo.
"Towards the parallel execution of rules in production system programs."
In Proceedings of the International Conference on Parallel Processing, 1985.

[LC83] L. Lerner and J. Cheng.
"The Manhattan Mapper expert production system".
Technical report, Dept. of Computer Science, Columbia University, May 1983.

------------------------------

Date: Thu 16 Feb 89 11:23:36-EST
Subject: BBN AI/Education seminar:  Sayeki & Ueno
To: ai-folks@G.BBN.COM

                    BBN Science Development Program
                       AI Seminar Series Lecture

                        MENTAL MODELS AS THEATER

               YUTAKA SAYEKI,              NAOKI UENO,
            University of Tokyo        National Institute
                                    of Educational Research

                                BBN Labs
                           10 Moulton Street
                    2nd floor large conference room
                     10:30 am, Tuesday February 21

This talk will focus on the understanding physics problems, taking a
model of the theater and combining it with kobito theory in which point
of view has a critical role in understanding objects and environments.

In Theater, as Peckham (1965) describes, we have an enormously rich
variety of metaphors for new features for computer interfaces that can
aid in understanding: Actors, Directors, Stage Conductors, Audience,
Critics, Stage, Stage-Setting, Background, Foreground, Scenes, Play, ,
Casts, Casting, Script, Scripting, Rehearsal, Dramatist , Improvising,
Ad-lib, Show, and so on.  In kobito theory as elaborated by Sayeki,
"point of view" and active participation in different modes of
activities (such as "throwing in, " "acting out," and "feeling about")
is considered to be crucial for exercising roles of actors, viewers
(audience and directors) in order to get deep understanding.  The
following features are found in the notions elaborated by Peckham, Ueno,
and Sayeki:

(1) Every "view" must be a view from a particular vantage point in situ
playing a particular Role, that can be shifted, moved, exchanged, or
replaced. The important point here is is that we actively choose and try
out taking a variety of vantage points, in order to delineate the
critical "invariant structure" (cf. Gibson) of the scene. Shifting
vantage points can yield "insight" into a solution as Peckham described,
too.  We need "tools" and "stages" for searching and trying-out possible
vantage points.

(2) We learn more from observing the continuous changes of scenes, or
movements of objects along with our own movements and actions upon the
objects, rather than fixed "representations" or "snapshots" of objects .
(Here again, we take a Gibsonian view, rather than the
"representationalist's view" of cognitive science.)

(3) We learn and think by acting, participating, and changing in a broad
domain of activity, rather than simply watching or manipulating objects
in your hands or on your "desktop," without moving your original
position. An important point here is that we occasionally change the
domain of activity, such as working at the desk, travelling by car,
train, and airplane, attending conferences, working at home at night,
and so on.  Current interface technology assumes an "armchair viewer" at
the fixed position.

(4) "Representation" is NOT a thought by itself; it is a medium of
thoughts. "Representation" should be "social" from the beginning and be
used "socially." It must be deeply rooted in cultural, "shared"
knowledge, as well as triggered by the materialized "form" or appearance
of the object to be represented.

In the presentation, we will explain a number of misunderstandings of
physics problems as either (1) miscasting of actors, or (2) mis-staging
of the environment.  Thus it would be possible to "cure" some of the
"conceptual bugs" by re-casting or re-staging the situations.  We shall
illustrate these points by the use of 3D Logo.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 17 Feb 89 10:16:46 EST
>From: rapaport@cs.Buffalo.EDU (William J. Rapaport)
To: nl-kr@turing.cs.rpi.edu,
Subject: SUNY Buffalo Cognitive Science Colloquium

                         UNIVERSITY AT BUFFALO
                      STATE UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK

                      GRADUATE GROUP IN SEMIOTICS
                                  and
   GRADUATE RESEARCH INITIATIVE IN COGNITIVE AND LINGUISTIC SCIENCES

                                PRESENT

                            JAMES H. FETZER

                        Deparment of Philosophy
                   University of Minnesota at Duluth

              SEMIOTIC SYSTEMS AND ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE

                       Monday, February 27, 1989
                               4:00 P.M.
                     684 Baldy Hall, Amherst Campus

There will be an evening discussion at 8:00 P.M. at Erwin Segal's house,
101  Carriage Circle, Williamsville.  Contact Paul Garvin, Department of
Linguistics, 636-2177, or Bill Rapaport, Department of Computer Science,
636-3193, for further information.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Feb 89 08:15:26 PST
>From: hyde@csli.Stanford.EDU (Dawn Hyde)
To: emma@csli.Stanford.EDU
Subject: csli calendar, Feb. 16, 4:16

       C S L I   C A L E N D A R   O F   P U B L I C   E V E N T S
16 February 1989                  Stanford                      Vol. 4, No. 16

     A weekly publication of The Center for the Study of Language and
     Information, Ventura Hall, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305
                              ____________
	   CSLI ACTIVITIES FOR THIS THURSDAY, 16 February 1989

   12 noon		TINLunch
     Cordura Hall       Defeasible Reasoning and Nonmonotonic
     Conference Room    (and worse) Inference Relations:
	    		A Little Philosophy; A Little AI; A Little Logic
			David Israel
			(israel@ai.sri.com)
			Abstract below

   2:15 p.m.		CSLI Seminar
     Cordura Hall	Overview of the German Research Center for AI
     Conference Room	Gerhard Barth
			German Research Center for AI
			Abstract below

   3:30 p.m.		Tea
     Ventura Hall

                              ____________
			  THIS WEEK'S TINLUNCH
		  Defeasible Reasoning and Nonmonotonic
		    (and worse) Inference Relations:
	    A Little Philosophy; A Little AI; A Little Logic
			      David Israel
			       16 February

   Starting about a decade ago, researchers in Artificial Intelligence
   began to formalize certain oddly behaved, in particular nonmonotonic,
   inference patterns.  Some of these, e.g., Reiter's logic for default
   reasoning, modeled features of actually existing computational
   systems; others, such as circumscription, were presented as capturing
   important features of actual, human common-sense reasoning.  In both
   kinds of case, the phenomenon under consideration has something to do
   with what philosophers have called `defeasible reasoning.'

      The latter will be very briefly characterized.  We shall then move
   on to recent attempts by logicians Dov Gabbay, on the one hand, and
   David Makinson, on the other, to give abstract axiomatic accounts of a
   variety of these nonmonotonic inference relations.  These will be
   described and some important results mentioned.  A few questions will
   be raised about what such inference relations have to do with
   defeasible reasoning.  `Many' fewer answers will be suggested.

				____________
			   THIS WEEK'S SEMINAR
	      Overview of the German Research Center for AI
			      Gerhard Barth
		      German Research Center for AI
			       16 February

   The German Research Center for AI was founded just recently.  In this
   talk, an overview of its structure, organization, and short-term
   research program will be presented.  One of the research projects that
   has already been started is concerned with knowledge-based
   presentation of information.  Some specific issues of this project
   will be discussed in the second half of the talk.

				____________
		    LINGUISTICS DEPARTMENT COLLOQUIUM
	    A Typology of Possible Morphophonological Change
			     Bill J. Darden
			  University of Chicago
			Friday, 17 February, 3:15
		      Cordura Hall Conference Room

   Morphonological rules, being phonologically unmotivated, can be seen as
   creating formal and semiotic problems.  They have to be learned and
   they create unmotivated allomorphy.  They also may serve as auxiliary
   signs themselves.  Changes can generally be classified as those that
   solve the problems or those that enhance the sign value of the
   alternation.  These changes indicate the close ties of
   morpho-phonology to morphology.  Other changes indicate close ties
   with phonology.  There are phonologically motivated adjustments in
   morphonological rules, and morphologically motivated adjustments
   in phonological rules (which may result in the elimination
   of the rules).  Ultimately, however, the phonologically motivated
   changes can be interpreted as morphologically motivated, and the
   morphological influence on phonological rules can be limited to the
   morphological aspect (the input).

				_____________
			 SYMBOLIC SYSTEMS FORUM
				Semiotics
			     David Wellbery
			     German Studies
			Friday, 17 February, 3:15
			       Room 60:61G

   David Wellbery will explain why symbolic systems should consider the
   humanities as a part of its major.  There has been much work on
   symbols, symbolism, meaning, interpretation, and much more in the
   humanities (principally semiotics, literary theory, and symbolic
   anthropology), which researchers and students in symbolic systems
   could use and might miss otherwise. On the other hand, as in every
   case of collaboration, these humanities disciplines also stand to gain
   great benefit from ideas within technical symbolic systems.  In this
   vein, Professor Wellbery hopes to hold an informal discussion in which
   he will present some ideas about semiotics and attempt to justify
   collaboration.

				___________
		THE HISTORICAL LINGUISTICS INTEREST GROUP
		 The Diachronic Typology of Possessives
			Dr. Vjacheslav V. Ivanov
	   Professor of History of Culture, Moscow University
		       Thursday, 23 February, 5:30
		      Ventura Hall Seminar Room

   Refreshments will be served at 5:00.

				____________