[comp.ai.nlang-know-rep] NL-KR Digest, Volume 6 No. 30

nl-kr-request@cs.rpi.edu (NL-KR Moderator Chris Welty) (07/08/89)

NL-KR Digest      (Fri Jul  7 12:45:01 1989)      Volume 6 No. 30

Today's Topics:

	 A Knowledge Based Software Information System (Unisys seminar)
	 New Book: INTERLINGUISTICS
	 Proper Place of Connectionism
	 ACE Version 1.3 Distribution
	 INFORMATION NEEDED.......
	 Re: Natural Language
	 Knowledge Engineering References
	 Re: Knowledge Engineering References
	 Re: Knowledge Engineering References

Submissions: nl-kr@cs.rpi.edu
Requests, policy: nl-kr-request@cs.rpi.edu
Back issues are available from host archive.cs.rpi.edu [128.213.1.10] in
the files nl-kr/Vxx/Nyy (ie nl-kr/V01/N01 for V1#1), mail requests will
not be promptly satisfied.  If you can't reach `cs.rpi.edu' you may want
to use `turing.cs.rpi.edu' instead.

To: nl-kr@cs.rpi.edu
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 89 15:30:58 -0400
>From: finin@PRC.Unisys.COM
Subject: A Knowledge Based Software Information System (Unisys seminar)

				  AI SEMINAR
			 UNISYS PAOLI RESEARCH CENTER

		A Knowledge Based Software Information System

				 Prem Devanbu
			    AT&T Bell Laboratories

The difficulty of maintaining very large software systems is becoming widely
acknowledged. One of the primary problems is the difficulty of accessing
information about a complex and evolving system. Brooks calls this the problem
of "invisibility". This problem leads to various difficulties, including
reduced quality and productivity. We are exploring the contribution to be made
by applying knowledge representation and reasoning to the management of
information about large systems. LaSSIE is a prototype tool (based on the
ARGON system) that uses a frame-based description language and classification
inferences to facilitate a programmer's discovery of the structure of a
complex system. It also supports the retrieval of software for possible re-use
in a new development task. We describe our experiences in building this tool,
what we have learned about this approach.

			       11:00am July 17
			     BIC Conference Room
			 Unisys Paoli Research Center
			  Route 252 and Central Ave.
				Paoli PA 19311

       -- non-Unisys visitors who are interested in attending should --
       --   send email to finin@prc.unisys.com or call 215-648-7446  --

------------------------------

To: nl-kr@cs.rpi.edu
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 89 08:48:55 +0200
>From: Klaus Schubert <dlt1!schubert@nluug.nl>
Phone:        +31 30 911911
Fax:          +31 30 944048
Telex:        40342 bso nl
Subject: New Book: INTERLINGUISTICS

I send this book announcement to the readers of the NL-KR Bulletin with a
special dedication. Which is the topic the NL-KR subscribers are interested
in most of all? The answer is short and clear: ESPERANTO. Why? Study the
history of the Bulletin since 1986. The moderator (Brad Miller in those days)
only once in these years found it necessary to cut a discussion that did not
stop by itself: the discussion about Esperanto. My personal conclusion from
that discussion was that quite a few people took part in the controversy
without actually KNOWING very much about planned languages. Most of the
contributions were assumptions and unproved claims.

It is because of this observation that I am especially glad to announce the
below book on INTERLINGUISTICS to the subscribers of this Bulletin.

Klaus Schubert

************** BOOK ANNOUNCEMENT ************** BOOK ANNOUNCEMENT ***********

        INTERLINGUISTICS - ASPECTS OF THE SCIENCE OF PLANNED LANGUAGES.
        Red. Klaus Schubert (kunlabore kun Dan Maxwell).
        Berlin / New York: Mouton de Gruyter 1989, 348 p.

        Contents:

        Part I: Introductions

Andr'e MARTINET (Paris): The proof of the pudding. Introductory note

Klaus SCHUBERT (Utrecht): Interlinguistics - its aims, its achievements, and
        its place in language science

        Part II: Planned Languages in Linguistics

Aleksandr D. DULI^CENKO (Tartu): Ethnic language and planned language

Detlev BLANKE (Berlin): Planned languages - a survey of some of the main
        problems

Sergej N. KUZNECOV (Moscow): Interlinguistics: a branch of applied linguistics?

        Part III: Language Design and Language Change

Dan MAXWELL (Utrecht): Principles for constructing Planned Languages

Francois LO JACOMO (Paris): Optimization in language planning

Claude PIRON (Geneva): A few notes on the evolution of Esperanto

        Part IV: Sociolinguistics and Psycholinguistics

Jonathan POOL (Seattle) - Bernard GROFMAN (Irvine): Linguistic artificiality
        and cognitive competence

Claude PIRON (Geneva): Who are the speakers of Esperanto?

Tazio CARLEVARO (Bellinzona): Planned auxiliary language and communicative
        competence

        Part V: The Language of Literature

Manuel HALVELIK (Antwerp): Planning nonstandard language

Pierre JANTON (Clermont-Ferrand): If Shakespeare had written in Esperanto ...

        Part VI: Grammar

Probal DASGUPTA (Hyderabad): Degree words in Esperanto and categories in
        Universal Grammar

Klaus SCHUBERT (Utrecht): An unplanned development in planned languages. A
        study of word grammar

        Part VII: Terminology and Computational Lexicography

Wera BLANKE (Berlin): Terminological standardization - its roots and fruits
        in planned languages

R"udiger EICHHOLZ (Bailieboro): Terminics in the interethnic language

Victor SADLER (Utrecht): Knowledge-driven terminography for machine translation

------------------------------

To: nl-kr@cs.rpi.edu
Newsgroups: comp.ai
Subject: Proper Place of Connectionism
Date: 16 Jun 89 06:09:24 GMT

[[ The next few articles are from the comp.ai and comp.ai.shells newsgroups.
   I will, on occasion, post  articles from there that seem relevant to this
   group.  In the future I won't be making note of it, but you can tell
   from the `Newsgroups: ' line in the header of a msg. Be careful when
   replying to such message, as the original poster probably does not
   read this digest.  This next one may not seem appropriate for nl-kr,
   but some readers have commented that they missed Steve Harnad's
   `colorful' comments. -CW]]

ON THE PROPER PLACE OF CONNECTIONISM IN MODELLING OUR BEHAVIORAL CAPACITIES

(Abstract of paper presented at First Annual Meeting of the American
Psychological Society, Alexandria VA, June 11 1989)

Stevan Harnad, Psychology Department, Princeton University, Princeton NJ 08544

Connectionism is a family of statistical techniques for extracting
complex higher-order correlations from data. It can also be interpreted
and implemented as a neural network of interconnected units with
weighted positive and negative interconnections. Many claims and
counterclaims have been made about connectionism: Some have said it
will supplant artificial intelligence (symbol manipulation) and
explain how we learn and how our brain works. Others have said it is
just a limited family of statistical pattern recognition techniques and
will not be able to account for most of our behavior and cognition. I
will try to sketch how connectionist processes could play a crucial
but partial role in modeling our behavioral capacities in learning and
representing invariances in the input, thereby mediating the "grounding"
of symbolic representations in analog sensory representations. The
behavioral capacity I will focus on is categorization: Our ability to
sort and label inputs correctly on the basis of feedback from the
consequences of miscategorization.
- -
Stevan Harnad  INTERNET:  harnad@confidence.princeton.edu   harnad@princeton.edu
srh@flash.bellcore.com      harnad@elbereth.rutgers.edu    harnad@princeton.uucp
CSNET:    harnad%confidence.princeton.edu@relay.cs.net
BITNET:   harnad1@umass.bitnet      harnad@pucc.bitnet            (609)-921-7771

------------------------------

To: nl-kr@cs.rpi.edu
Newsgroups: comp.ai
Subject: ACE Version 1.3 Distribution
Date: 20 Jun 89 08:47:45 GMT

			    ACE Version 1.3
			    ---------------

ACE (Abstract Clause Engine) is an experimental program for solving problems
specified by clauses.  It has a variety of generic search methods, and a
preprocessor.  It should be useful for developing prototype languages, and for
use in courses on logic programming or proof theory.

Example problems include:

- logic programming with equational unification
- equational unification
- rewriting
- logic programming
- context-free grammar parsing and generation
- n queens problem
- distinct representatives problem.

The search methods include:

- backtrack
- optimised forward checking with search rearrangement
- adaptive backtrack
- depth first and breadth first search
- iterative deepening (for one or more solutions).

Some of these methods can be combined. For example, adaptive backtrack and
iterative deepening. Search methods can also be combined to solve a problem.
In logic programming with equational unification, the search method for
finding equational unifiers can be different from that for finding
refutations.

ACE is written and distributed as Standard ML Version 2 source files in tar
format on tape.  It is approximately 125Kb in total size.  It can be compiled
with Poly/ML v1.75, and Standard ML of New Jersey, Version 0.33.  Poly/ML is
available only for VAX and Sun-3 computers running Berkeley UNIX.  A Sun
should have at last 4Mb of store. Cambridge can distribute Poly/ML for
academic research purposes only. A Poly/ML licence permitting teaching or
commercial research can be obtained from

  Imperial Software Technology
  3 Glisson Road
  Cambridge CB1 2HA
  England.
  Phone:  +44 223 462400.

Please write to receive a copy of the licence agreement for ACE Version 1.3
and state whether you require a licence agreement for Poly/ML for academic
research.  Licence forms can be sent to you in LaTeX format by email. There is
a  distribution fee of 100 pounds sterling for ACE and 100 pounds sterling for
Poly/ML, if it is required.  The first distribution is expected to occur in
September 1989.

- --------------------------------------------------------------------------

David Wolfram				E-mail: daw@cl.cam.ac.uk
University of Cambridge			Telex: via 81240 CAMSPL G
Computer Laboratory                     Fax: +44 223 334748
Pembroke Street				Phone: +44 223 334634
Cambridge CB2 3QG
England.

------------------------------

To: nl-kr@cs.rpi.edu
Newsgroups: comp.ai,comp.lang.smalltalk,comp.lang.lisp,or.general,pdx.general
Subject: INFORMATION NEEDED.......
Date: 25 Jun 89 05:49:10 GMT

A friend of mine is working on a Chinese-English translator. Needs:

1) Electronic bitmaps and copy of "The People's Republic of China
   National Standard code of Chinese Graphic Character Set for
   Information Interchange GB 2312-80" At least the primary
   'ChASCII' set of 6763 characters. Any bitmap size from 24x24
   thru 60x60 would help.

2) Electronic Chinese dictionary. Latest respected version in ChASCII
   or whatever is available.

3) Electronic English-Chinese dictionary. Prefer "A New English-Chinese
   Dictionary" with definitions in ChASCII code. Any such dictionary
   would help.

4) Electronic Chinese-English dictionary. In addition to regular
   dictionary text, need full definition of each ChASCII character
   including meanings of individual strokes and sub-characters,
   character combination rules including word formation and disallowed
   combinations, and context shift rules.

5) Electronic English dictionary. Prefer Webster's New World, Third
   edition, having 200,000 English words with definitions.
   (Publisher won t sell electronic version.  Any electronic dictionary
   would help.

6) Electronic English Thesaurus and/or Chinese Thesaurus. Most have
   some different entries, so prefer combination, but any would help.

7) Chinese Natural Language Parser/Generator. Handle 150 common
   sentence types, distinguish word boundaries, parts of speech;
   whatever is available.

8) English Natural Language Parser/Generator. Would like state of the
   art aductive reasoning system but will take anything. Prefer Smalltalk,
   Lisp OK.

9) If available in the Northwest, a Chinese-English linguist to help
   on this project on a volunteer basis.

Anyone who can either provide any of these pieces to the translator or
who can refer me to a good source of any of these is encouraged to reply
via E-mail ( sun!nosun!{qiclab|whizz}!tanya!kirk )
or via US MAIL to: Kirk W. Fraser, PO Box 1426, Beaverton, OR  97075

Thank you in advance.

				Sincerely,

				K. W. Fraser.

------------------------------

To: nl-kr@cs.rpi.edu
Newsgroups: comp.ai
Subject: Re: Natural Language
Date: 28 Jun 89 16:28:31 GMT

The current dicussion about various aspects of natural language
elicits me to ask the yearly query for examples of natural
language to test speech synthesis and recognition.

While a few people are working in these areas, there is lots of
interest by a naive public which does not understand all of the
issues in these areas.  In an effort to aid testing, I ask for
sample text for either synthesis and/or recognition.

The existing informally collected file resides on aurora.arc.nasa.gov
in the directory pub and file can be grabbed using one of either two names:
speech.examples, or from a discussion in comp.arch on benchmarking names:
Rhosettastone (the file is identical).

Please email any example you might have to me as I do not reguarly read
comp.ai.  I will include it into the file IF it does not alredy exist
in the file and does not contain potentially objectionable material
(taste, it is a Govt. machine and we have lots of bureaucrats around 8).
Credit will also be cited in the file.

Another gross generalization from

- -eugene miya, NASA Ames Research Center, eugene@aurora.arc.nasa.gov
  resident cynic at the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:
  "If my mail does not reach you, please accept my apology."
  {ncar,decwrl,hplabs,uunet}!ames!eugene
  				Live free or die.

------------------------------

To: nl-kr@cs.rpi.edu
Newsgroups: comp.ai.shells
Subject: Knowledge Engineering References
Date: 15 Jun 89 22:36:00 GMT

Hello,

Recently I've been searching for some references on the knowledge
engineering process.  I'd appreciate receiving any information on
methodologies for structuring the knowledge acquisition process
(manual or automated) and then transforming that knowledge into an
appropriate knowledge representation.  Information on using a
top-down/structured approach with hueristics like "Define your object
classes before writing the rules", "Start with defining declarative
knowledge, then define procedural knowledge", "Group rules into
knowledge-islands", or "Only have one condition in the IF part of
your rules" would be especially interesting.  Comparisons of
methodologies(top-down vs. bottom-up) would also be very interesting.

Thanks in advance and I'll post a summary to net if there is
sufficient interest.

Stephen Peterson
ARPA: peterson_s@apollo.com
UUCP: {decwrl!decvax, mit-eddie, attunix}!apollo!peterson_s
USPS: Apollo Computer, 220 Mill Rd.,MS: CHM 01 SS, Chelmsford MA. 01824

------------------------------

To: nl-kr@cs.rpi.edu
Newsgroups: comp.ai.shells
Subject: Re: Knowledge Engineering References
Date: 18 Jun 89 17:55:22 GMT

In article <5353@uklirb.UUCP> you write:

>Recently I've been searching for some references on the knowledge
>engineering process.  I'd appreciate receiving any information on
>methodologies for structuring the knowledge acquisition process
>(manual or automated) and then transforming that knowledge into an
>appropriate knowledge representation.  Information on using a
>top-down/structured approach with hueristics like "Define your object
>classes before writing the rules", "Start with defining declarative
>knowledge, then define procedural knowledge", "Group rules into
>knowledge-islands", or "Only have one condition in the IF part of
>your rules" would be especially interesting.  Comparisons of
>methodologies(top-down vs. bottom-up) would also be very interesting.

I recommend that you look at the KADS methodology for knowledge
acquisition and structuring.  Write joost breuker at the
University of Amsterdam: ...!mcvax!swivax!breuker.

I would be interested in a summary of replies to your query.

Marco Valtorta			usenet: ...!ncrcae!usceast!mgv
Department of Computer Science	csnet: mgv@cs.scarolina.edu
University of South Carolina	tel.: (1)(803)777-4641
Columbia, SC 29208		tlx: 805038 USC
U.S.A.				fax: (1)(803)777-3065
usenet from Europe: ...!mcvax!uunet!ncrlnk!ncrcae!usceast!mgv

------------------------------

To: nl-kr@cs.rpi.edu
Newsgroups: comp.ai.shells
Date: 3 Jul 89 08:39:40 GMT

Also check out the research by Nigel Shadbolt, Nottinham University, UK

He has been doing comparative large-scale studies of some knowledge
acquisition techniques over the last few years.

See his (and his co-authors) papers in:-

	Research and Development in Expert Systems IV ed by Stuart Moralee
	(= proceedings of Expert Systems '87, held in Brighton, UK)

	Proceedings of ECAI-88

	Artificial Intelligence Review (1987) 1, pp245-253

And also for a now somewhat dated review of knowledge engineering and
in particular knowledge acquisition:

Margaret Welbank's "A Review of Knowledge Acquisition Techniques for Expert
Systems" BT Research Labs, Ipswich, UK. 1983

Caroline Knight

HPLabs, Bristol, UK

End of NL-KR Digest