[comp.ai.nlang-know-rep] NL-KR Digest, Volume 6 No. 37

nl-kr-request@cs.rpi.edu (NL-KR Moderator Chris Welty) (09/20/89)

NL-KR Digest      (Tue Sep 19 18:38:21 1989)      Volume 6 No. 37

Today's Topics:

	 Better Explanations for Expert Systems (Unisys AI Seminar)
	 Workshop Announcement & Call for papers
	 Special Session on Logic and A.I.
	 AI Seminar
	 Re: Connectionist Approaches to NLU
	 What KL-ONE Lookalikes Need to Cope with NL (Unisys Seminar)
	 CALL FOR PAPERS Mathematical Programming and Expert Systems...

Submissions: nl-kr@cs.rpi.edu
Requests, policy: nl-kr-request@cs.rpi.edu
Back issues are available from host archive.cs.rpi.edu [128.213.1.10] in
the files nl-kr/Vxx/Nyy (ie nl-kr/V01/N01 for V1#1), mail requests will
not be promptly satisfied.  If you can't reach `cs.rpi.edu' you may want
to use `turing.cs.rpi.edu' instead.
BITNET subscribers: we now have a LISTSERVer for nl-kr.
  You may send submissions to NL-KR@RPIECS
  and any listserv-style administrative requests to LISTSERV@RPIECS.

To: nl-kr@cs.rpi.edu
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 89 13:58:30 -0400
>From: finin@prc.unisys.com (Tim Finin)
Subject: Better Explanations for Expert Systems (Unisys AI Seminar)

			      AI SEMINAR
		     UNISYS PAOLI RESEARCH CENTER

		      Dr. Jennifer Jerrams Smith
		    Artificial Intelligence Group
		    Philips Research Laboratories
		     Redhill, Surrey, RH1 5HA, UK
		 (vrdxhq!uunet!prlb2!prlhp1!smithjj)

			  The BEES project:
	       Better Explanations for Expert Systems.

The aim of the BEES project is to improve the communication and
cooperation between users and knowledge based systems.  It resulted
from the realization that current expert systems (ES) provide very
limited explanations to their users (the traditional "how" and "why"
questions).  In many cases their acceptability, marketability and
usability would be greatly improved if such systems could interact in
a more cooperative way to solve problems through the combined
expertise of user and ES.

Development of more cooperative ESs involves investigation of what
domain knowledge is needed and how it should be represented so that
the ES can answer some of the many different sorts of questions which
users wish to ask.  Additionally, the ES must hold information about
the user, so that it can communicate effectively and efficiently, in
terms which the user understands.

We are currently working on the following areas: representing the
variety of knowledge required, natural language processing, generating
textual responses, integrating graphical and textual explanations,
behavioural studies of advisors and users, developing a taxonomy of
explanations.

			 11:00am September 25
			 BIC Conference Room
		     Unisys Paoli Research Center
		      Route 252 and Central Ave.
			    Paoli PA 19311

   -- non-Unisys visitors who are interested in attending should --
   --   send email to finin@prc.unisys.com or call 215-648-7446  --

------------------------------

To: nl-kr@cs.rpi.edu
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 89 19:14:53 -0400
>From: kumard@cs.Buffalo.EDU (Deepak Kumar)
Subject: Workshop Announcement & Call for papers

 	CALL FOR PAPERS

 	FIRST ANNUAL SNePS WORKSHOP
 	Co-Sponsored by the SNePS Research Group and the
        SUNY at Buffalo Center for Cognitive Science
 	November 13, 1989
 	280 Park Hall
 	North Campus
 	SUNY at Buffalo

 	SNePS, in its various incarnations, is being actively used and
 	developed at various AI research labs around the world. The
 	aim of this workshop is to try to get together researchers who
 	are (have been, or are considering) using SNePS as a research
 	tool for AI modeling as well as those who are (have been,
 	or are considering) evaluating SNePS as an AI research
 	environment.

 	The theme of this workshop is to present a survey of
 	current and on-going research and developments at various
 	research sites. Attendance at the workshop
 	will be kept small (by invitation only) to allow for maximum
 	possible interaction among participants.

 	The workshop will be semi-formal and held on the
 	campus of SUNY at Buffalo (where the SNePS headquarters are
 	located). All papers presented will be
 	edited and compiled into Proceedings which will be
 	published as a Department of Computer Science, SUNY at
        Buffalo Technical Report.
 	To be invited to the workshop, you have to do one of the
 	following (preferably by e-mail):

 	1. Submit a one page abstract of a paper to be considered
 	   for presentation.
 	2. Submit a short write-up of your current research and how
 	   it does/might relate to the SNePS family of projects.

 	We will also schedule a time slot for live demonstrations of systems.
 	Those interested in giving demonstrations should submit a small
 	description outlining the nature of the demonstration along with
 	hardware/software/time requirements.

 	DEADLINES

 	Abstracts/Research Summaries due on Friday, October 6, 1989.
 	Notification of acceptance/participation by October 13, 1989.
 	Final papers due on Tuesday, October 31, 1989.

 	SUBMISSIONS TO:

 	Deepak Kumar
 	226 Bell Hall
 	SUNY at Buffalo
 	Buffalo NY, 14260
 	kumard@cs.buffalo.edu

 	Send any queries to the organization committee:

 	General:
 	Deepak Kumar (kumard@cs.buffalo.edu)
 	Sy Ali       (syali@cs.buffalo.edu)

 	Demos:
 	Hans Chalupsky (hans@cs.buffalo.edu)

 	Everyone will be expected to make their own living arrangements.
 	There may be a possibility of making some arrangements with
 	local SNeRG members.

 	Thank you.

 	Deepak Kumar

------------------------------

To: nl-kr@cs.rpi.edu
Newsgroups: comp.ai
Subject: Special Session on Logic and A.I.
Date: 12 Sep 89 17:15:08 GMT

              Special Session on Logic and Artificial Intelligence

                                      at:

              Symposium on Artificial Intelligence and Mathematics

                      Fort Lauderdale, FL January 3-5 1990

          During the Symposium (see: news.announce.conferences) a spe-
          cial  Session on Logic and Artificial Intelligence will take
          place.  A number of logicians currently involved in investi-
          gations  of  Logical  Foundations of Artificial Intelligence
          will take part in the Session. These currently  include:  H.
          Blair  (Syracuse  U.),  A.  Brown (Xerox), M. Gelfond (U. of
          Texas), W. Marek (Cornell and U.  of  Kentucky),  A.  Nerode
          (Cornell),  J.  Schlipf  (U. of Cincinnati), M. Truszczynski
          (U. of Kentucky), D. Wijesekera (Cornell).

          Scientists active in the research of Logical Foundations  of
          Artificial  Intelligence  and interested in participating in
          the Session, are requested to get in touch with:

                             Professor Anil Nerode
                           Department of Mathematics
                               Cornell University
                                Ithaca, NY 14850

          Electronic inquiries can be sent to:

                         nerode@mssun7.msi.cornell.edu

			Wiktor Marek
normally in the University of Kentucky, but now for 1989/90 in the
MSI/ Cornell University. If you want to reach me, write to:
			marek@gvax.cs.cornell.edu

------------------------------

To: nl-kr@cs.rpi.edu
Subject: AI Seminar
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 89 14:45:00 EDT

		 BBN STC Science Development Program
		      AI Seminar Series Lecture

	     AUTOMATIC PROCESSING OF UNRESTRICTED NATURAL
			    LANGUAGE TEXTS

			    GERARD SALTON
			  Cornell University

	       BBN STC, 2nd floor large conference room
		  10 Moulton St, Cambridge MA, 02138
		  Thursday September 21st, 10:30 AM

The conventional artificial intelligence approaches are not viable when
large text samples in arbitrary subject areas must be processed.  Text
analysis methods based largely on statistical methods have, however,
been used successfully in information retrieval and related areas for many
years.

The main text analysis methods usable with general purpose texts are
briefly reviewed and applications are described in such areas as
document retrieval, book indexing, linking of related text excerpts, subject
area organization, and so on.  Evaluation output is shown wherever
possible to demonstrate the effectiveness of the proposed methodologies.

------------------------------

To: nl-kr@cs.rpi.edu
Newsgroups: comp.ai.digest,comp.ai.nlang-know-rep,aus.ai
Subject: Re: Connectionist Approaches to NLU
Date: 14 Sep 89 00:20:31 GMT

Last week I sent a request for references on connectionist
approaches to natural language processing. Special thanks to:

   Ron Chrisley of Xerox
   Trent Lange of AI Labs, UCLA
   Diana Roberts of HP Labs

Here are some of the references they suggested, plus a few
I found myself. Note that I also included approximate location
of the authors. I'll be grateful if you could still contribute to
this list and send me some additional information on yours or
your colleagues' work in this area. Again I will summarize the

Jacob	o | o
	 \_/

Bookman, L.A. (Brandeis Uni - 1987):
   "A Microfeature Based Scheme for Modelling Semantics,"
IJCAI 87, 611-614.

Cottrell, G.W. and Small, S.L. (Uni of Rochester - 1983):
   "A Connectionist Scheme for Modelling Word Sense Disambiguation,"
Cog. and Brain Theory, 6(1), 89-120.

Dolan, C. P. and Dyer, M. G. (UCLA - 1988):
   "Parallel Retrieval of Conceptual Knowledge,"
In D. Touretzky (ed), Proc. of the 1988 Connectionist Summer School,
Morgan Kaufmann.

Dyer, M. G. (UCLA - 1989):
   "Symbolic NeuroEngineering for Natural Language Processing,"
To appear in J. Barnden and J. Pollack (eds), Advances in
Connectionist and Neural Computation Theory, Ablex Publications.

Elman, J.L. (UCSD - 1989):
   "Representation and Structure in Connectionist Models,"
Cognitive Science Society Conference (not in proceedings)

Elman, J.L. (UCSD - 1988):
   "Discovering Syntactic Structure Using Simple Recurrent Networks,"
Technical Report.

Howells, T. (Uni of Massachusetts - 1988):
   "VITAL: A Connectionist Parser,"
Proc. Conf. Cog. Sci. 88, 18-25.

Jones, M.A. (AT&T Bell Labs - 1987):
   "Feedback as a Coindexing Mechanism in Connectionist Architectures,"
IJCAI 87, 602-610.

Lange, T. and Dyer, M. G. (UCLA - 1989):
   "Dynamic, Non-Local Role-Bindings and Inferencing in
    a Localist Network for Natural Language Understanding,"
In D. Touretzky (ed), Advances in Neural Information Processing
Systems I, Morgan Kaufmann, San Mateo, CA.

Lange, T. and Dyer, M. G. (UCLA - 1989):
   "Frame Selection in a Connectionist Model of
    High-Level Inferencing,"
Proc. of the Eleventh Annual Conf. of the Cognitive Science Society,
Ann Arbor, MI, Aug 1989.

MacWhinney, B. (Carnegie Mellon University - 1989):
   "A Crosslinguistic Connectionist Model for Morphological Learning,"
Cognitive Science Society Conference (not in proceedings)

Marchman, V. & Plunkett, K. (UCSD & Uni of Aarhus, Denmark - 1989):
   "U-Shaped Learning Curves in a Connectionist Model of
    Past Tense Learning,"
Cognitive Science Society Conference (not in proceedings)

McClelland, J.L. and Rumelhart, D.E. (Carnegie Mellon - 1981):
   "An Interactive Activation Model of Context Effects in
    Letter Perception,"
Psychological Reviews 88, 375-407.

McClelland, J.L. (Carnegie Mellon - 1989):
   "Models of Language: Rules or Connections?"
Cognitive Science Society Conference (not in proceedings)

Miikkulannen, R. and Dyer, M. G. (UCLA - 1988):
   "Encoding Input/Output Representations in Connectionist Cognitive
    Systems,"
In D. Touretzky (ed), Proceedings of the 1988 Connectionist Summer
School, Morgan Kaufmann.

Miikkulainen, R. and Dyer, M. G. (UCLA - 1989):
   "A Modular Neural Network Architecture for Sequential Paraphrasing
   of Script-Based Stories,"
Proceedings of the First Annual International
Joint Conference on Neural Networks, Washington DC, June 1989.

Pollack, J.B. and Waltz, D.L. (Uni of Illinois at U-C - 1984):
   "Parallel Interpretation of Natural Language,"
Proc. Int. Conf. 5th Gen. Comp. Sys., 686-691.

Small, S.L. (Uni of Rochester - 1987):
   "A Distributed Word-Based Approach to Parsing,"
in L. Bolc (ed) Natural Language Parsing Systems,
Springer-Verlag, 161-202.

St. John, M. (Carnegie Mellon University - 1989):
   "Sentence Comprehension by Parallel Constraint Satisfaction,"

To: nl-kr@cs.rpi.edu
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 89 11:33:15 -0400
Subject: What KL-ONE Lookalikes Need to Cope with NL (Unisys Seminar)

			      AI SEMINAR
		     UNISYS PAOLI RESEARCH CENTER

		     What KL-ONE Lookalikes Need
		    to Cope with Natural Language

			   Juergen Allgayer
		      University of Saarbrucken
				 FRG

One of the major drawbacks of current NL processing systems is an
adequate representation of and reasoning about plurals.  This is true
because current knowledge representation languages do not provide well
suited representational means neither to describe sets, subsets, and
elements nor to deal with the respective relations or use them in
specially tailored inference systems.

On the other side, there exists (at least) one linguistic theory about
plurality in natural language, the General Quantifier Theory (GQT).
What we want to present in this paper is how we adopted this theory
into the already existing framework of the XTRA system.  Our goal
therefor is to develop a well-grounded knowledge representation
formalism able to represent sets as well as to deal with them and
combine this representation formalism with a well-defined linguistic
theory.

The knowledge representation language SB-ONE+ integrates sets into the
KL-ONE like KR language SB-ONE.  It realizes this by means of
regarding sets as epistemological primitives, thus allowing for both
an implementation of set-relevant properties (like reasoning about
subset-of and element-of relationships) in the system as well as a
description of sets as elements inside the TBox if relevant for the
domain under consideration.  Taking SB-ONE+ as representational basis,
we show how some inte- resting results from GQT are implemented in the
XTRA system.

			 11:00am September 20
			 BIC Conference Room

To: nl-kr@cs.rpi.edu
Newsgroups: comp.ai.nlang-know-rep
Subject: CALL FOR PAPERS Mathematical Programming and Expert Systems...
Date: Tuesday, 19 Sep 1989 12:38:37 EDT

|                         CALL FOR PAPERS                           |
|        RECENT APPLICATIONS OF MATHEMATICAL PROGRAMMING TO         |
|                    EXPERT SYSTEMS DEVELOPMENT                     |
|     A Section of the 8th INTERNATIONAL CONGRESS OF CYBERNETICS    |
|                          AND SYSTEMS                              |
|        Hunter College of the City University of New York          |
|                        New York, New York                         |
|                         June 11-15, 1990                          |

        This  session  will  host  work  that  demonstrates  the
    increasing potential  of combining  mathematical programming
    approaches  to  expert  systems  problems.    Both  original
    research  and  survey  papers  will  be  considered.    Some
    relevant topics include, but are not limited to:

        o  Machine Learning and Mathematical Programming
        o  Logic Problems and Mathematical  Programming
        o  Expert Systems and Operations Research
        o  AI and Operations Research

        This   triennial  conference   is   supported  by   many
    international groups concerned with management, the sciences,
    computers,   and information  systems.    The Congress  will
    provide a forum, symposia and sections, for the presentation
    and discussion  of current research.   All meetings  will be
    held in midtown Manhattan.

    Section Chairs:
       Allen L. Soyster, Professor and Head,
          Dept. of Industrial Engineering, Penn State University
       Evangelos Triantaphyllou, Ph.D. Candidate,
          Dept. of Industrial Engineering, Penn State University
    Program Chair:
       Constantin Negoita, Professor,
          Hunter College, CUNY, New York, NY.

    Papers  should  be approximately  2,000-4,000  words  in
    length.  Please send 4 hard copies (not e-mail) to:
|                     Evangelos Triantaphyllou                      |
|                     E-Mail: E3T@PSUVM.BITNET                      |
|               Department of Industrial Engineering                |
|                      Penn State University                        |
|                       207 Hammond Building                        |
|                  University Park, PA 16802, USA                   |
    Deadlines:  January 1, 1990:  Submission of paper.
                April 1, 1990:    Notification of disposition
    All items will be acknowledged

End of NL-KR Digest