[comp.ai.nlang-know-rep] NL-KR Digest, Volume 8 No. 2

nl-kr-request@CS.RPI.EDU (NL-KR Moderator Chris Welty) (01/23/91)

NL-KR Digest      (Tue Jan 22 13:23:10 1991)      Volume 8 No. 2

Today's Topics:

	 Early Announcement of CSLI Seminar for Winter Quarter 1991
	 Case Grammar Articles
	 Interface information
	 Help: Machine Translation of Russian from/into Other Languages
	 Schedule for Language and Thought Workshop
	 LIFER: Info needed.
	 Syntax Workshop on 29 January, 7:30 p.m.
	 Recent Memoranda in Computer and Cognitive Science
	 Lexical Functional Grammar Interface for a Database
	 VP-Expert Users Wanted To Share Info
	 Introductory Reading material anyone?
	 Call for Participation
	 CILS Calendar

Submissions: nl-kr@cs.rpi.edu
Requests, policy: nl-kr-request@cs.rpi.edu
Back issues are available from host archive.cs.rpi.edu [128.213.10.18] in
the files nl-kr/Vxx/Nyy (ie nl-kr/V01/N01 for V1#1), mail requests will
not be promptly satisfied.  If you can't reach `cs.rpi.edu' you may want
to use `turing.cs.rpi.edu' instead.
BITNET subscribers: we now have a LISTSERVer for nl-kr.
  You may send submissions to NL-KR@RPIECS
  and any listserv-style administrative requests to LISTSERV@RPIECS.

To: nl-kr@cs.rpi.edu
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 91 14:12:12 PST
>From: ingrid@russell.Stanford.EDU (Ingrid Deiwiks)
Subject: Early Announcement of CSLI Seminar for Winter Quarter 1991

			     CSLI SEMINAR
		Phenomenology for Cognitive Scientists
			    Izchak Miller
		     Visiting Associate Professor
		       Department of Philosophy
		      (miller@csli.stanford.edu)
	      Thursdays (starting 17 January), 2:15 p.m.
			     Cordura 100

The CSLI seminar this quarter will be designed with the busy cognitive
scientist in mind, trying to introduce her/him to phenomenology.
Impenetrable texts and unending issues of interpretation will be set
aside, in order to focus on the ideas and insights that phenomenology
has to offer.

Izchak Miller is the author of many articles on issues relating to
phenomenology and the book _Husserl, Perception and Temporal
Awareness_ (Bradford, 1983).

The opportunity to have Professor Miller visit the Department of
Philosophy this winter developed rather suddenly, so the seminar will
not begin until Thursday, 17 January.

------------------------------

To: nl-kr@cs.rpi.edu
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 91 10:11:29 MST
>From: mnu@inel.gov (Rick Morneau)
Subject: Case Grammar Articles

I'm looking for references to journal articles that deal with
deep case relations and the use of case notation to represent
the content of English sentences. If anyone can help, I'd
greatly appreciate hearing from you. Also, if there is
sufficient interest, I'll post a summary. Thank you!

*=*=* A little rebellion now and then is a good thing. (T.J.) *=*=*
=  Rick Morneau            Idaho National Engineering Laboratory  =
*  mnu@nairobi.inel.gov    Idaho Falls, Idaho 83415               *
=*=*=*=*=*=* All kings is mostly rapscallions. (M.T.) =*=*=*=*=*=*=

------------------------------

To: nl-kr@cs.rpi.edu
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 91 10:46:20 EST
>From: dennisp@AIC.NRL.Navy.Mil
Subject: Interface information

A while back I requested information on natural language interfaces to
expert systems and database management systems.  I promised a listing
of what I received.  While I am still collecting information, I
did come across "The Spang Robinson Report on Artificial Intelligence,"
Vol. 6, No. 12 (December 1990).  This issue is titled "Using Natural
Language for Database Queries."

Individuals interested in NLIs might, therefore, be interested in
reading this highly informative report.
Dennis Perzanowski
Code 5512
Navy Research Laboratory
Washington, D.C.  20375-5000
phone: 202-767-9005
arpanet:  dennisp@aic.nrl.navy.mil

------------------------------

To: nl-kr@cs.rpi.edu
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 91 14:08:28 CST
>From: seo@cs.utexas.edu
Subject: Help: Machine Translation of Russian from/into Other Languages

Hi,
I am looking for any papers, reports or comments about machine
translation of Russian into/from other languages such as English,
Japanese, or German, etc.  Especially, information about special
features (if any) of syntax and phonology of Russian for machine
translation and pointers to Russian corpora and Lexicon (preferably in
electronic form) would be greatly appreciated.
I'll post summaries of replies if there are enough interest.
Thank you very much.

Jungyun Seo  (seo@cs.utexas.edu)

1      Jungyun Seo         UUCP:  uunet!cs.utexas.edu!seo                     1
1      (512) 471-9573      ARPA:  seo@cs.utexas.edu                           1

------------------------------

To: nl-kr@cs.rpi.edu
Subject: Schedule for Language and Thought Workshop
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 91 16:01:39 -0600
>From: colleen@tira.uchicago.edu

			WORKSHOP ON LANGUAGE AND THOUGHT

			  Winter Schedule on topics of
			     Poetry, Poetics, Prose

Thursday, January 17:	Wayne C. Booth:  "Why we need an implied author:
  4:00 p.m., Wb 408 	                  A Reply to Gerard Genette"

Wednesday, January 23:	Paula C. Schiller:  "Frontiers of Description"
  4:00 p.m., Wb 408

5th Week TBA:		Stuart Sherman:  on song, syntax, and prose

7th Week TBA:		Laura McKnight:  discussion of readings in
			preparation for M. Fishbane's talk

Wednesday, March 6:	Michael Fishbane:  on Biblical Poetics

------------------------------

To: nl-kr@cs.rpi.edu
Newsgroups: comp.ai,comp.ai.nlang-know-rep,comp.databases
Subject: LIFER: Info needed.
Date: 10 Jan 91 18:38:33 GMT

LIFER was developed by G. Hendrix at SRI International in the 70's as a
tool for building natural language (NL) front-ends.

Could someone tell me how and where I can get a copy of the system?

Are there other systems like it (tool for building NL interface) that are
commercially or publically available?

Any information, pointers will be much appreciated.
(Please e-mail!)

Sang-goo Lee                        /
EDS Research & Development         /         SXL@edsdrd.eds.com
Auburn Hills, MI 48326            /

------------------------------

To: nl-kr@cs.rpi.edu
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 91 09:20:06 PST
>From: ingrid@russell.Stanford.EDU (Ingrid Deiwiks)
Subject: Syntax Workshop on 29 January, 7:30 p.m.

			   SYNTAX WORKSHOP
	       On Syntactic Reconstruction in Ellipsis
			    Mary Dalrymple
			      Xerox PARC
		      (dalrymple@parc.xerox.com)
		    Tuesday, 29 January, 7:30 p.m.
			     Cordura 100

Analyses of elliptical constructions fall into one of two general
types.  According to the first type of analysis, syntactic structure
is present in the elided portion of a sentence containing ellipsis at
some level or stage of derivation.  For example, the analysis of Sag
(1976) involves deletion of syntactic material in the ellipsis site;
more recent analyses within the Government-Binding framework involve
reconstruction of syntactic material within the ellipsis site.
According to the second type of analysis, the interpretation for a
sentence containing ellipsis is obtained by means of a semantic
operation in which no syntactic reconstruction or deletion is
involved.  On the analysis of Dalrymple, Shieber, and Pereira (to
appear), for example, the interpretation of elided material is
provided by means of solving a semantic equality.

Certain phenomena seem to indicate that the first approach is correct;
these phenomena involve relations that are usually taken to be
syntactic, such as anaphoric and filler-gap dependencies, but which
hold even in sentences containing ellipsis.  I will examine the
evidence for syntactic reconstruction in ellipsis and show that an
analysis based on syntactic reconstruction or deletion makes incorrect
predictions in many cases.  I will also discuss a possible alternative
explanation for the data that seem to support a syntactic
reconstruction analysis.

------------------------------

To: nl-kr@cs.rpi.edu
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 91 08:49:46 MST
Subject: Recent Memoranda in Computer and Cognitive Science

Recent Memoranda in Computer and Cognitive Science

Ordering of technical reports listed below write to:

Memoranda Series
Computing Research Laboratory
Box 30001
New Mexico State University
Las Cruces, New Mexico  88003
USA

[The list of titles and abstracts was too long for inclusions in the
 digest.  Contact the yorick@nmsu.edu for a complete list. - CW ]

------------------------------

To: nl-kr@cs.rpi.edu
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 91 16:46
Subject: Lexical Functional Grammar Interface for a Database

                      Lexical-Functional Grammar Interface
                                      for
                                Database Access

The School of Computer Science is seeking a Research Associate or Research
Fellow to work on a two-year project funded by the Speech Research Unit, Royal
Signals and Radar Establishment, under the supervision of Dr P J Hancox. The
project will take an existing keyboard interface and (through a series of
stages) change it into a speech interface.

Applicants should have a background in computer science or an allied
discipline such as artificial intelligence/cognitive science.
Experience of pursuing individual research (eg taught-course project
work or an MSc or PhD by research) in a related field (eg cognitive
science/artificial intelligence, computational linguistics or logic
programming) would be an asset. It may be possible to appoint at the
post-doctoral level.

Informal enquiries may be directed to Dr P J Hancox (021-414 3819;
JANET: P.J.Hancox@uk.ac.bham).

Salary on scale for Research Associate/Fellow #11,399 - #13,495/#11,399 -
#18, 165. Ref S13079.

Application forms (2 copies) returnable by 3rd February 1991 (late
applications may be considered) and further particulars available from
the Director of Staffing Services, The University of Birmingham,
Edgbaston, Birmingham, B15 2TT. Telephone: 021-414 6483 (24 hours).

         The University is an equal opportunities employer.
------------------------------

To: nl-kr@cs.rpi.edu
Newsgroups: comp.ai.nlang-know-rep,comp.ai.shell.comp.ai.edu
Subject: VP-Expert Users Wanted To Share Info
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 1991 01:30:19 GMT

Hi, I'm developing an expert sysm application utilizing ES shell
called VP-Expert by Paperback Software. I'd like to share or exhange
info with anyone who is using this package. I'm sure we can all
benefit from these information sharing.

Thanks in advance.

- -
#include <disclaimer.h>				% flame >& /dev/null

------------------------------

To: nl-kr@cs.rpi.edu
Date:    Tue, 22 Jan 1991 9:35:24 MST
>From: "s16062111@uavax0.ccit.arizona.edu"@Arizona.EDU
Subject: Introductory Reading material anyone?

	I'm a very beginner in the subject. Can anyone out there suggest good
books on this subject? I need to get information for a semi-intelligent user
interface which would be able to translate formatted input in English, i.e.
the answers to the questions are kept in a certain syntax and semantic format
that is understandable by the interface.

	Rawn Shah

	shah@caslon.cs.arizona.edu
	s16062111@ccit.arizona.edu
	wolfsbayne@128.196.128.35

------------------------------

To: nl-kr@cs.rpi.edu
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 91 15:39:59 EST
>From: neal@cs.Buffalo.EDU (Jeannette Neal)
Subject: Call for Participation

                    CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

    Workshop on Evaluation of Natural Language Processing Systems

                   University of California
                         Berkeley, CA

There has been increased concern with the evaluation of natural
language processing (NLP) systems over the past few years.
The evaluation of NLP systems is essential in order to measure
the capabilities of individual systems, to measure technical progress
and growth in the field, and to provide a basis for selecting NLP
systems to best fit the communication requirements of application
domain systems.  This 1991 Workshop is a follow on to the workshop
on evaluation held in December of 1988 at the Wayne Hotel in Wayne, PA.
Technical report RADC-TR-89-302 on the previous workshop is available
from Rome Laboratory.

Important issues for any evaluation effort and relevant to this workshop
include identification of the items or capabilities to be evaluated, choosing
between "black box" and "glass box" approaches, definition of evaluation
criteria, development of methods or procedures for evaluation, determination
of evaluation metrics, and determination of the type of output to be produced
by the evaluation procedures.   The areas of NLP relevant for this workshop
include syntactic analysis, semantic analyisis, pragmatic analysis, lexical
processing, morphology, sharable knowledge bases and ontologies, speech
understanding, and trainable systems.

The purpose of this workshop is to provide a forum for computational
linguists to report on and discuss current efforts and activities,
research progress, new approaches, problems and issues; to promote
scientific interchange on important evaluation issues; and to
generate recommendations and directions for future investigations
in the evaluation area.

Workshop attendance will be by invitation, limited to 45 people.
The workshop will be held June 18th at the University of California,
Berkeley Campus, in association with the 29th Annual Meeting of the
Association for Computational Linguistics.

SUBMISSIONS:

Interested participants should submit a 3-5 page abstract of their
presentation and a brief description of their research activities.
Persons desiring to attend the workshop, but not make a presentation,
should send only a brief description of their research activities.
All persons should include name, mailing address, phone number, and
electronic mail address.  Submission may be transmitted via electronic
mail, U.S. Postal Service, or FAX.  If hardcopy is submitted,  please
include six copies (including the original).   Send submissions to:
      Jeannette G. Neal, Ph.D.
      Calspan Corporation
      P.O. Box 400, Buffalo, NY 14225
      (716) 631-6844
      FAX: (716) 631-6722
      neal@cs.buffalo.edu

SCHEDULE:
      March 1, 1991   Submissions due
      April 1, 1991   Notification of acceptance/invitation

ORGANIZATION AND PROGRAM COMMITTEE:
      Jeannette G. Neal, Calspan Corporation (Committee Chair)
      Tim Finin, Unisys Center for Advanced Information Technology
      Ralph Grishman, New York University
      Christine Montgomery, Language Systems, Inc.
      Sharon Walter, Rome Laboratory

SUPPORT for this workshop is provided by Rome Laboratory.

------------------------------

To: nl-kr@cs.rpi.edu
Subject: CILS Calendar
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 91 15:45:50 -0600
>From: colleen@tira.uchicago.edu

_________________ T H E   C I L S   C A L E N D A R ________________

	   The Center for Information and Language Studies
 Joseph Regenstein Library, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL 60637

Vol. 1, No. 11 					    January 14, 1991

				   ~*~
Upcoming events:

1/14   16:00  Wb 130    Workshop	Pragmatics
1/17   16:00  Wb 408    Workshop	Wayne C. Booth, English
1/21   14:30  Ry 276    Lecture		Abraham Bookstein, CILS
1/23   16:00  Wb 408    Workshop	Paula C. Schiller
1/25   13:00  Psy G110  Workshop	Ronald McClamrock, Philosophy
- ------------------------------

			         MONDAY, JANUARY 14

4:00 p.m.	Workshop Wb 130	The Pragmatics of Language

Topic to be announced.  Readings will be available in the Departments of
Philosophy and Linguistics, and in the CILS office.

For more information, please contact Jerrold Sadock, Dept. of
Linguistics (2-8524) or Josef Stern, Dept. of Philosophy (2-8594).
____________________________________

				THURSDAY, JANUARY 17

4:00 p.m.	Workshop
  Wb 408	Language and Thought
		Wayne C. Booth, Dept. of English
		"Why We Need an Implied Author:
		A Reply to Gerard Genette"

Readings are available in Cl 11.

New participants are welcome.
____________________________________

				 MONDAY, JANUARY 21

2:30 pm.	Lecture
  Ry 276	Abraham Bookstein, CILS (bkst@tira)
		"Modelling Bitmap Sets for Data Compression"

				      Abstract

Recent approaches to data compression emphasize the distinction between
data modelling to determine probabilities of message occurrence, and the
use of these probabilities to encode the data.  Most such efforts involve
a single stream of messages. However, bitmaps often occur in sets in which
pairs of bitmaps are related to one another. In this talk I shall review
the use of bitmaps in information retrieval and describe three models that
exploit relations between bitmaps that might be useful for estimating
probabilities of bit occurrence. I shall also indicate how such information
can be used as part of a practical compression technique.
____________________________________

				WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 23

4:00 p.m.	Workshop
  Wb 408	Language and Thought
		Paula C. Schiller
		"Frontiers of Description"
____________________________________

				 FRIDAY, JANUARY 25

1:00 p.m.	Workshop
  Psy G110 	Speech Science
		Ronald McClamrock, Dept. of Philosophy
		"Levels of Explanation"

For further information, please contact Howard Nusbaum, Department of
Psychology, Beecher 408, 702-6468, hcn1@midway.
____________________________________

			        POSITION AVAILABLE

The CENTER FOR INFORMATION AND LANGUAGE STUDIES has a position available for a
RESEARCH ASSOCIATE in COMPUTATIONAL LINGUISTICS.

The Center is an interdisciplinary unit created to conduct research on the
organization and analysis of textual and natural language information in a
computerized environment.  The current staff includes Research Associates in
language-oriented information retrieval -- including retrieval software
systems and architecture, database organization, and analytic retrieval
techniques -- and others interested in natural language parsing, pragmatics,
and artificial intelligence.  The Center works with associated faculty in the
Departments of Computer Science, Linguisitics, and Psychology, and sponsors
Graduate Assistantships with these Departments.

The Center has an opening at the postdoctoral level for a Research Associate
in Computational Linguistics with an interest in natural language processing.
This is a research oriented position, with some application development and
teaching activities.  Current Center interests include morphological and
syntactic parsing of French, English and Japanese.  The candidate will also
work with the Natural Language Software Registry housed at the Center.  The
position of Research Associate is a one-year appointment with the possibility
of reappointment for a second year.

The Center has state of the art computing equipment, with research centered
around a network of Sun workstations connected to the University ethernet.
There is a high speed datalink to the supercomputer center in Urbana.  The
University is the depository of the ARTFL French language database of 2000
works and 750 megabytes of text; this, as well as a number of other large
full-text databases, is available for research purposes through the University
Network.

Please send a curriculum vitae by e-mail or surface mail to

	Assistant Director
	Center for Information and Language Studies
	University of Chicago
	JRL S-107
	1100 East 57th Street
	Chicago, IL 60637