[comp.ai.nlang-know-rep] NL-KR Digest, Volume 8 No. 11

nl-kr-request@CS.RPI.EDU (NL-KR Moderator Chris Welty) (03/08/91)

NL-KR Digest      (Thu Mar  7 09:40:22 1991)      Volume 8 No. 11

Today's Topics:

	 AISB 91 Programme Available
	 Third TAI / Call for papers
	 Ph.D level AI Research Job at USC/ISI (Marina del Rey, CA)
	 Consortium for Lexical Research
	 Job Announcement - Computational Linguist
	 Generating NL from theorem-prover output
	 Computists International
	 CILS Calendar, March 4
	 CILS Calendar 2/25/91
	 Syntax Workshop, Tuesday, 26 February, 7:30 p.m.

Submissions: nl-kr@cs.rpi.edu
Requests, policy: nl-kr-request@cs.rpi.edu
Back issues are available from host archive.cs.rpi.edu [128.213.10.18] in
the files nl-kr/Vxx/Nyy (ie nl-kr/V01/N01 for V1#1), mail requests will
not be promptly satisfied.  If you can't reach `cs.rpi.edu' you may want
to use `turing.cs.rpi.edu' instead.
BITNET subscribers: we now have a LISTSERVer for nl-kr.
  You may send submissions to NL-KR@RPIECS
  and any listserv-style administrative requests to LISTSERV@RPIECS.

To: nl-kr@cs.rpi.edu
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 91 17:15:58 GMT
Subject: AISB 91 Programme Available

                        *****************
                        *               *
                        *  A I S B 9 1  *
                        *               *
                        *****************

                     UNIVERSITY OF LEEDS, UK

                       16 - 19 APRIL 1991

                   TUTORIAL PROGRAMME 16 APRIL

                 TECHNICAL PROGRAMME 17-19 APRIL
                        with sessions on:
                  * Distributed Intelligent Agents
                  * Situatedness and Emergence in Autonomous Agents
                  * New Modes of Reasoning
                  * The Knowledge Level Perspective
                  * Theorem Proving
                  * Machine Learning

      Programmes and registration forms are now available from:
                  Barbara Smith
                  AISB91 Local Organizer
                  School of Computer Sudies
                  University of Leeds
                  Leeds LS2 9JT, UK

                  email: aisb91@ai.leeds.ac.uk

------------------------------

To: nl-kr@cs.rpi.edu
Newsgroups: news.announce.conferences,comp.ai.nlang-know-rep
Subject: Third TAI / Call for papers
Date: 4 Mar 91 02:08:59 GMT
Expires:
                      CALL  FOR  PAPERS

               3rd International Conference on

            TOOLS  FOR  ARTIFICIAL  INTELLIGENCE

             San Jose CA.,  November 5-8, 1991

           Sponsored by the IEEE Computer Society

                           Topics

*       Artificial Intelligence Knowledge-Based Architectures

*       Artificial Intelligence and Software Engineering

*       Machine Learning, Theory and Algorithms

*       Artificial Neural Networks

*       Artificial Intelligence Applications

*       Expert Systems and Environments

*       AI language tools

*       Parallel Processing and Hardware support

                   Conference Co-Chairs :

W.T. Tsai, Dept. of Computer  Science,  Univ.  of  Minnesota,
Minneapolis MN 55455

Nikolas Bourbakis, 4138 Moonflower Court, San Jose, CA 95135
((408)2846494 fax: (408)2566760)

                          Tutorials

In addition to papers proposals for  one  day  tutorials  are
solicited  in  any  of  the  conference areas. Such proposals
should be submitted to the Tutorial Chair by April 10,  1991:
Mark  Perlin,  3rd TAI Tutorial Chair, Dept. of Computer Sci-
ence, Carnegie Mellon University, 5000 Forbes Avenue,  Pitts-
burgh, PA 15213, perlin@cs.cmu.edu (412) 268-5297.

                         Submissions

Submit five copies of their double  spaced  typed  manuscript
(max  of  20  pages) with an abstract to the program chair by
April 10, 1991.  Final papers are restricted to 7 IEEE  model
pages.  In  the  cover  letter please indicate the conference
areas which are relevant to your paper.  Authors will be  no-
tified  of  aceptance  by  July 15th 1991. Outstanding papers
will be elligible for publication  in  Computer  Society/IEEE
journals.

Submitt papers and panel proposals by April 10, 1991 to :
Benjamin Wah, 3rd TAI Program Chair, Coordinated Science  La-
boratory,  MC  228, University of Illinois, 1101 West Spring-
field Avenue, Urbana, IL  61801-3082,  USA.  (217)333-3516(o)
(217) 244-1764 (fax) wah%aquinas@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu

------------------------------

To: nl-kr@cs.rpi.edu
Newsgroups: comp.ai,misc.jobs.offered,comp.ai.nlang-know-rep
Subject: Ph.D level AI Research Job at USC/ISI (Marina del Rey, CA)
Date: 7 Mar 91 02:20:03 GMT

	     OPENING:  Full-time  Ph.D. Level Researcher
	     =======   =================================

The Explainable Expert  Systems (EES)  Group within  ISI's Intelligent
Systems   Division has   an  immediate  opening  for    a Ph.D.  level
researcher   to   work  on  topics   concerned   with the   design and
implementation  of  a  shell  for knowledge-based   systems, knowledge
acquisition tools to help a user refine and augment large systems, and
the performance optimization of knowledge based systems.

The focus of the successful candidate's  efforts will be on developing
techniques in these areas, applying and testing them in the context of
the EES group's framework for building expert systems that can provide
good explanations of their behavior.

The ideal candidate   will be   willing to  take   responsibility  for
investigating new research areas and engage in programming to test new
ideas within a system, and will have a strong background in artificial
intelligence, knowledge based systems,  and knowledge acquisition.  In
particular, the ideal candidate will have demonstrated experience with
LISP  and  knowledge representation systems  such as  KL-ONE  or LOOM.
Publishable    research  will   be   performed   in a   collaborative,
project-oriented  setting   involving  significant  contact with  both
internal  and external users of the  systems to be built; good written
and verbal communication skills are therefore highly desirable.

The University of Southern California's Information Sciences Institute
(ISI) is a large, university-based research  center which has produced
top quality research  in  a wide range  of research areas.  It employs
about 80 full time researchers and maintains  close academic ties with
the school of  engineering; a number  of PhD students  are involved in
conducting their graduate research here.

Complete resumes  with lists of  references should be  sent  to Cecile
Paris, USC/ISI,  4676 Admiralty Way, Marina  del Rey, CA 90292.
Phone:(213) 822-1511, e-mail: paris@isi.edu.

------------------------------

To: nl-kr@cs.rpi.edu
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 91 14:08:00 MST
Subject: Consortium for Lexical Research

The Consortium for Lexical Research

Rio Grande Research Corridor
Computing Research Laboratory
New Mexico State University
Box 30001, Las Cruces, NM 88003.
lexical@nmsu.edu
(505) 646-5466
Fax: (505) 646-6218

Work in computational linguistics has reached the point where the
performance of many natural language processing systems is limited by
a "lexical bottleneck".
That is, such systems could handle much more text and produce much
more impressive application results were it not for the fact that their
lexicons are too
small.

The Association for Computational Linguistics has established the
Consortium for Lexical Research (CLR), and DARPA has agreed to fund this.
It will be sited at the Computing Research Laboratory, New Mexico, USA,
under its Director, Yorick Wilks, and an ACL committee
consisting of Roy Byrd, Ralph Grishman, Mark Liberman and
Don Walker.

The Consortium for Lexical Research will be an organization
for sharing lexical data and tools used to perform research  on  natural
language dictionaries and lexicons, and for communicating the results of
that  research.  Members of the Consortium will contribute resources
to a repository and withdraw resources from it
in order to perform their research.  There is no
requirement that  withdrawals  be  compensated  by  contributions in kind.

A basic premise of the proposal for cooperation on lexical research
is that the research
must be "precompetitive".  That is, the CLR will not
have as its goal the creation of commercial products.
The goal of precompetitive research would be to augment our
understanding of what lexicons contain and, specifically, to build
computational lexicons having those contents.
The task of the CLR is primarily to facilitate research, making
available to the whole natural language processing community certain
resources now held only by a few groups that have special
relationships with companies or dictionary publishers.  The CLR would
as far as is practically possible accept contributions from any
source, regardless of theoretical orientation, and make them available
as widely as possible for research.  There is also an underlying
theoretical assumption or hope: that the contents of major lexicons
are very similar, and that some neutral, or "polytheoretic," form of
the information they contain can be at least a research goal, and
would be a great boon if it could be achieved.  A major activity of
the CLR will be to negotiate agreements with "providers" on reassuring
and advantageous terms to both suppliers and researchers. Major
funders of work in this area in the US have indicated interest in
making participation in the CLR a condition for financial support of
research.  An annual fee will be charged for membership.  It is
intended that after an initial start-up period, the Consortium become
self-supporting.

The Computing Research Lab (CRL)
already has an active research program in computational lexicons,
text processing, machine translation, etc., funded by DARPA and
NSF as well as a range of machines appropriate for advanced
computing on dictionaries.

Resources and Services of the Consortium

The following lists of
lexical data and tools seem to provide a reasonable starting content for
the repository.  We will continually solicit and encourage additions
to this list.

Data

1. word lists (proper nouns, count/mass nouns, causative verbs, movement verbs,
predicative adjectives, etc.)

2. published dictionaries

3. specialized terminology, technical glossaries, etc.

4. statistical data

5. synonyms, antonyms, hypernyms, pertainyms, etc.

6. phrase lists

Tools

1. lexical data base management tools

2. lexical query languages

3. text analysis tools (concordance, KWIC, statistical analysis,
collocation analysis, etc.)

4. SGML tools (particularly tuned to dictionary encoding)

5. parsers

6. morphological analyzers

7. user interfaces to dictionaries

8. lexical workbenches

9. dictionary definition sense taggers

Services

Repository management will involve cataloging and
storing material in disparate formats, and providing for their
retransmission (with conversion, where appropriate tools exist).
In addition, it will be
necessary to maintain a library of documentation describing the
repository's contents and containing research papers resulting from
projects that
use the material.  A brief description of the services to be provided
is as follows:
  a.
CRL will provide a catalog of, and act as a clearinghouse for,
utilities programs that have been written for existing online lexical data.
  b.
CRL will compile a list of known mistakes, misprints, etc. that
occur in each of the major published sources (dictionaries etc.).
  c.
CRL will set up a new memorandum series explicitly devoted
to the lexical center.
  d.
CRL will also be a clearinghouse for preprints and hard-to-find
reprints on machine-readable dictionaries.
  e.
CRL also expects to conduct workshops in this area, including an
inaugural workshop in late 1991 or early 1992.
  f.
CRL would provide a catalog for access to repositories of
corpus-manipulation tools held elsewhere.

We invite you to participate in the Consortium for Lexical
Research.
Anyone interested in participating  even in principle
as a provider or consumer of data, tools, or services should
send a message to
     lexical@nmsu.edu
 or
     lexical@nmsu.bitnet

as should anyone who would like to be on our lexical information list.

------------------------------

To: nl-kr@cs.rpi.edu
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 91 17:28:42 EST
>From: mccray@nlm.nih.gov (Alexa T. McCray)
Subject: Job Announcement - Computational Linguist

The Lister Hill National Center for Biomedical Communications, a
research division of the National Library of Medicine, is seeking
a computational linguist to join its Natural Language Systems Program.
We seek an individual who has demonstrated experience in natural
language processing and an advanced degree in linguistics or computer
science.  Candidates should have experience in the development of systems
using Prolog, Lisp, C or other high level languages and should be well
qualified in linguistic theory.

The National Library of Medicine is located on the beautiful NIH campus in
Bethesda, Maryland.  The Lister Hill Center has extensive state of the art
facilities including many Sun, Macintosh, and PC-compatible workstations,
file servers and associated scanning and imaging equipment.  Our research
staff is dedicated to developing advanced technologies for storing, manipulating
and disseminating biomedical information.

The successful candidate will join a team of experienced professionals
addressing major research issues in an environment which assures high visibility
for outstanding work.  Salary will range from  $31,116 to $40,449 depending on
education and experience.  U.S. citizenship is required.  The U.S. Government
is an Equal Opportunity Employer.

Send a resume and a cover letter describing your research interests to the
following address no later than March 25, 1991.

                 Chief, Computer Science Branch
                 NLS Program Search
                 Lister Hill Center
                 National Library of Medicine
                 8600 Rockville Pike
                 Bethesda, Maryland 20894

------------------------------

To: nl-kr@cs.rpi.edu
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 1991 14:40:37 EST
Subject: Generating NL from theorem-prover output

I am interested in any references to work that has been done or
is being done on generating coherent natural language proofs from
theorem prover output.  I have the following references.  If you
know of others, please send mail to me at thomason+@cmu.cs.cmu.edu.

	Daniel Chester, "The Translation of
	Formal Proofs into English", Artificial
	Intelligence 7 (1976), 261-278.

	Xiaorong Huang, "A Human Oriented Proof
	Presentation Model", Technical Report SEKI
	SR-89-11, Kaiserslautern University, 1989.

	Xiaorong Huang, "Proof Transformation
	Towards Human Reasoning Style", Proceedings of
	the 13th German Workshop on Artificial
	Intelligence, Ed. D. Metzing, Springer-Verlag,
	1989, pp. 37-42.

	Xiaorong Huang, "Reference Choices in
	Mathematical Proofs", Proceedings of the 9th
	European Conference on Artificial Intelligence,
	Pitman Publishing, 1990, pp.  720-725.

I will be happy to share results of this survey with anyone who asks.
To do that, send mail to me.

- -Rich Thomason

------------------------------

To: nl-kr@cs.rpi.edu
Date: Tue 26 Feb 91 22:54:02-PST
>From: Ken Laws <LAWS@ai.sri.com>
Subject: Computists International

                      *** PLEASE POST ***

     This is to announce Computists International, a new
 "networking" association for computer and information scientists.

     Hi!  I'm Ken Laws  If this announcement interests you, contact
 me at internet address laws@ai.sri.com.  If you can't get through,
 my mail address is: Dr. Kenneth I. Laws; 4064 Sutherland Drive,
 Palo Alto, CA  94303; daytime phone (415) 493-7390.

     I'm back from two years at the National Science Foundation.
 I used to run AIList, and I miss it.  Now I'm creating a broader
 service for anyone interested in information (or knowledge),
 software, databases, algorithms, or doing neat new things with
 computers.  It's a career-oriented association for mutual
 mentoring about grant and funding sources, information channels,
 text and software publishing, tenure, career moves, institutions,
 consulting, business practices, home offices, software packages,
 taxes, entrepreneurial concerns, and the sociology of work.  We
 can talk about algorithms, too, with a focus on applications.

     Toward that end, I'm going to edit and publish a weekly+
 newsletter, The Computists' Communique. The Communique will be
 tightly edited, with carefully condensed news and commentary.
 Content will depend on your contributions, but I will filter,
 summarize, and generally act like an advice columnist.  (Ann
 Landers?)  I'll also suggest lines of discussion, collect
 "common knowledge" about academia and industry, and help track
 people and projects.  As a bonus, I'll give members whatever
 behind-the-scenes career help I can.

     Alas, this won't be free.  The charter membership fee for
 Computists will depend in part on how many people respond to this
 notice.  The Communique itself will be free to all members, FOB
 Palo Alto; internet delivery incurs no additional charge.  To
 encourage participation, there's a full money-back guarantee
 (excluding postage). Send me a reply to find out more.

                                   -- Ken

     Computists International and The Computists' Communique are
 service marks of Kenneth I. Laws.  Membership in professional
 organizations may be a tax-deductible business expense.
- ------

------------------------------

To: nl-kr@cs.rpi.edu
Subject: CILS Calendar, March 4
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 91 14:04:07 -0600
>From: colleen@tira.uchicago.edu

_________________ T H E   C I L S   C A L E N D A R ________________

	   The Center for Information and Language Studies
 Joseph Regenstein Library, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL 60637

Vol. 1, No. 18 					    March 4, 1991

				   ~*~
Upcoming events:

3/6    16:00  Wb 408	Workshop	Michael Fishbane, Divinity School
3/11   16:00  Wb 130    Workshop	Philip R. Cohen, SRI International
- ------------------------------

				WEDNESDAY, MARCH 6

4:00 p.m.	Workshop on Language and Thought
 Wb 408		Michael Fishbane, Divinity School
		"Poetics of Midrash"

Paper and background materials available in Classics 11.

New participants welcome.
_________________

				MONDAY, MARCH 11

4:00		Workshop
 Wb 130		The Pragmatics of Language
		Philip R. Cohen, Computer Dialogue Laboratory
   	      	Artificial Intelligence Center, SRI International
                (pcohen@ai.sri.com)
		"Comfirmations and Joint Action"

				    Abstract

We argue that current plan-based theories of discourse do not by themselves
explain prevalent phenomena in even simple task-oriented dialogues.  The
purpose of this talk is to show how one difficult-to-explain feature of these
dialogues, confirmations, follows from the joint or team nature of
the underlying task.  Specifically, we develop a concept of a ``joint
intention'' and we argue that the conversants in a task-oriented dialogue
jointly intend to accomplishing the task.  From this basis, we derive the
goals underlying the pervasive use of confirmations observed in a recent
experiment.  We conclude with remarks on how to generalize the analysis
to characterize dialogue itself as a joint activity,  in other words,
how to describe the social contract implicit in dialogue.

For more information, please contact Jerrold Sadock (2-8524), Department of
Linguistics, Josef Stern, Department of Philosophy (2-8594), or Scott
Deerwester, CILS (2-6948).
- --------------
End of CILS Calendar

------------------------------

To: nl-kr@cs.rpi.edu
Subject: CILS Calendar 2/25/91
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 91 16:13:09 -0600
>From: colleen@tira.uchicago.edu

_________________ T H E   C I L S   C A L E N D A R ________________

	   The Center for Information and Language Studies
 Joseph Regenstein Library, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL 60637

Vol. 1, No. 17 					    February 25, 1991

				   ~*~
Upcoming events:

2/25   14:30  Ry 276	Lecture		C. M. Sperburg-McQueen, UIC
2/25   16:00  Wb 130    Workshop	Dennis Stampe, U of Wisconsin
3/6    16:00  Wb 408	Workshop	Michael Fishbane, Divinity School
3/11   16:00  Wb 130    Workshop	Philip R. Cohen, SRI International
- ------------------------------

				MONDAY, FEBRUARY 25

2:30		Lecture
 Ry 276		C. M. Sperburg-McQueen
                ACH/ACL/ALLC Text Encoding Initiative
                University of Illinois at Chicago
		(u35395@uicvm.bitnet)
                "The Validated -- or Violated? -- Text:
                Issues in Specifying Document Structures"

Abstract in February 11 calendar.

				     *****

4:00		Workshop
 Wb 130		The Pragmatics of Language
		Dennis Stampe, Dept. of Philosophy
		University of Wisconsin, Madison
		"Pragmatics and the Concept of Voluntary Action"

For more information, please contact Jerrold Sadock (2-8524), Department of
Linguistics, or Josef Stern, Department of Philosophy (2-8594).
_________________

To: nl-kr@cs.rpi.edu
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 91 12:58:56 PST
>From: ingrid@russell.stanford.edu (Ingrid Deiwiks)
Subject: Syntax Workshop, Tuesday, 26 February, 7:30 p.m.

			   SYNTAX WORKSHOP
	    Thematic Arguments and Implicit Semantic Roles
			   Abdullahi Bature
		      Department of Linguistics
			 Stanford University
		   Tuesday, 26 February, 7:30 p.m.
			     Cordura 100

The issues concerning the relation between morphology, syntax, and
semantics, especially the ways in which these components are linked
and contribute to the expression of the relation between predicates
and their arguments, has been the subject of a running debate in
current syntactic work.  The cases mostly noted in the literature are
morpholexical processes where the verb stem is morphologically marked,
and as a result the argument structure is altered.  In particular, the
discussion to date has focused on constructions such as passive,
causative, applicative, and reciprocal.  However, when it comes to
giving an account of other alternations where the verb remains
unchanged and yet the argument structure is altered, it seems that
present syntactic theories do not provide a simple account.

Alternations that are not (entirely) signalled by morphology in the
verb have been largely ignored in the literature.  This thesis
examines such types of (morphologically unmarked) alternations.  The
central claims of the study are as follows:

(1) Theta roles are partially independent of lexical semantics, i.e.,
    they are not fully predictable on the basis of semantics.

(2) Semantic elements that are highly relevant to one another (i.e.,
    those indicating manner of action vs. the action itself) are
    likely to be packed together and expressed either lexically or
    morpholexically.

(3) With reference to "relational changing affixes," linguistic
    meanings that are expressed lexically must be distinct from
    (similar) meanings expressed morpholexically.

End of NL-KR Digest