[comp.lang.scheme] Scheme Implementation for Macintosh 2

gleicher@CS.DUKE.EDU (Michael Gleicher) (04/19/88)

has anyone ported Cscheme to the mac 2?
Or any other Public domain scheme (or T for that matter)?

Thanks,
	Mike
Michael Lee Gleicher			(-: If it looks like I'm wandering
	Duke University			(-:    around like I'm lost . . .
E-Mail: gleicher@cs.duke.edu)(or uucp	(-:
Or P.O.B. 5899 D.S., Durham, NC 27706	(-:   It's because I am!

MKATZ@A.ISI.EDU (Morris Katz) (04/19/88)

I also would like to know about any ports of Cscheme to either the Mac 2 or
any other Unix system 5 rel 2 machine.  I was about to send mail on this topic
this morning when I found that someone had beaten me to it by 1 day.
					Morry Katz
-------

hwfe@ur-tut (Harlan Feinstein) (04/20/88)

In article <12391721505.50.MKATZ@A.ISI.EDU> MKATZ@A.ISI.EDU (Morris Katz) writes:
>I also would like to know about any ports of Cscheme to either the Mac 2 or
>any other Unix system 5 rel 2 machine.  I was about to send mail on this topic
>this morning when I found that someone had beaten me to it by 1 day.
>					Morry Katz
>-------

I'm wondering if CScheme could run on an IBM PC.  If anyone has done this
could you send me email?  'ppreciate it.

Disclaimer:
If what I say seems wrong or offends you, consider this: I'm writing in my
own language, not English, and it's coincidence that it looks like English.

               "_The_ Zaphod Beeblebrox?"  "Count the heads."

Harlan Feinstein                  U  U RRRR   hwfeccss@uorvm.bitnet
Student, University of Rochester  U  U RRRR   hwfe@tut.cc.rochester.edu
"We are... U R!"                  UUUU R  R   seismo!rochester!ur-tut!hwfe

manis@faculty.cs.ubc.ca (Vince Manis) (04/20/88)

MacScheme is alleged to run on the Mac 2 (I haven't seen it). According
to the documentation for version 1.5, it runs ok, though there are apparently
some rough edges. MacScheme comes with a really good native-code compiler.
Publisher is Semantic Microsystems, in Portland.

There is also an implementation called XScheme, which is still under
development. The author is David Betz, who wrote XLisp. It uses a bytecoded
interpreter, so it's not wildly fast, but it is highly portable. Versions
exist for PC, Atari ST, and Mac. I've read the code for the prerelease
Mac version that's on BIX, and I'd expect it to run ok on a Mac 2. (No
toolbox support, though). XScheme is intended as a tool for experimentation,
not a production system (don't try to run Macsyma on it!), but it *is*
free.
Vincent Manis                    | manis@cs.ubc.ca
The Invisible City of Kitezh     | manis@cs.ubc.cdn
Department of Computer Science   | manis@ubc.csnet
University of British Columbia   | {ihnp4!alberta,uw-beaver,uunet}!
                                 |      ubc-cs!manis

<<NOTE NEW ADDRESS>>

craig@richsun.UUCP (Craig Peterson (consultant)) (04/20/88)

   Posted-Date: Tue 19 Apr 88 11:59:15-EDT
   Date: Tue 19 Apr 88 11:59:15-EDT
   From: Morris Katz <ihnp4!ucsd!A.ISI.EDU!ll-xn!MKATZ@trout.nosc.mil>

   I also would like to know about any ports of Cscheme to either the Mac 2 or
   any other Unix system 5 rel 2 machine.  I was about to send mail on this topic
   this morning when I found that someone had beaten me to it by 1 day.
					   Morry Katz
   -------

I've ported it to System VR2.  I've tried to contact the people at mit
to let them know so that they can integrate it into future releases,
but haven't had any success.

Let me know if you'd like the diffs, and I'll try to put them together.

craig@richp1.UUCP

verber@apatosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Mark Verber) (04/22/88)

From my experience MacScheme runs very happily on a MacII.  The guys
from Semantics (and Will Clinger) did a go job following the Apple
rules.  I will also run under Multi-finder in the background and under
A/UX using the toolboxdeamon.  Note:  Stand alone applications
generated via the native code compiler also run on the MacII and under
A/UX.

Mark A. Verber				MaBell:          614-292-7344
Computer Science Department		MX: verber@cis.ohio-state.edu
Ohio State University			DUMB:  verber@ohio-state.arpa
2036 Neil Ave, Columbus, Ohio 43210	UUCP:   ..!att!osu-cis!verber

gls@THINK.COM (04/22/88)

   Date: 20 Apr 88 01:24:14 GMT
   From: ubc-cs!faculty.cs.ubc.ca!manis@beaver.cs.washington.edu  (Vince Manis)
   Sender: scheme-request@mc.lcs.mit.edu

   MacScheme is alleged to run on the Mac 2 (I haven't seen it). According
   to the documentation for version 1.5, it runs ok, though there are apparently
   some rough edges. MacScheme comes with a really good native-code compiler.
   Publisher is Semantic Microsystems, in Portland.

I run MacScheme on a Mac II all the time.  It works fine.  (The version
of Toolsmith that I have does not interface to all the new routines in
Volume V of "Inside Macintosh"--I obtained Toolsmith before Volume V had
even been published--but this aside I have been very happy with it.
I have done nontrivial Toolbox hacking to do some nifty dialog boxes.)
My wife Barbara has implemented at least one full-blown, double-clickable
application in MacScheme, and uses the resulting application routinely.

--Guy Steele

msurlich@faui44.UUCP (Matthias Urlichs ) (04/26/88)

In article <8804190413.AA11938@duke.cs.duke.edu> gleicher@CS.DUKE.EDU (Michael Gleicher) writes:
>has anyone ported Cscheme to the mac 2?

I transferred r2 to MPW C and ran it thru Gnu-CP and MPW C (its preprocessor
wouldn't accept CScheme's #define's; too many levels) without much
difficulty. But no toolbox etc. support yet as I don't know much (read that as
"anything") about the internal organization of CScheme, eg where to put your
own REP interface, how to put in output to windows, ...

I probably will do that if/when there's time (right now there isn't) and
if I get pointers to more detailed information about CScheme.

--
Matthias Urlichs              CompuServe: 72437,1357  Delphi: URLICHS
Rainwiesenweg 9