[net.news.group] Suns

jdd (04/07/83)

Last week I suggested the creation of a newsgroup for discussion of Sun
workstations.  I posted the suggestion to net.news.group; a followup also
went to net.micro.  I have received a few replies since my last message;
they appear below.

My guess is that the best thing to do would be to put Sun-related
discussions or information in net.works , creating net.works.sun if the
traffic increases.  Unfortunately, net.works is (I think?) gatewayed to the
WORKS digest on the Arpanet, and people in Arpaland may (i.e., would)
complain.

We could also put the discussion in net.micro , although this seems at first
glance a poorer choice.  Fortunately, there is no huge current traffic on
the subject, so no decision needs to be made right away.  I would suggest
net.micro as a meeting place for the iterim, moving as things change or
situations become clearer.

Of course, I could be wrong.  The floor is now open for objections.

Cheers,
John ("Daniel") DeTreville
Bell Labs, Murray Hill

The replies, edited, follow.

-----

I'd like to see a separate group; some people here at WH were about to
propose such a group when your article appeared.  (You didn't hear from me
sooner because your article just made it to whuxlb.)  I cast a vote for
net.micro.sun, second choice is net.works.sun.  If such a group existed, I
think SUN users might appear out of the woodwork; we haven't really been
sharing our thoughts because it isn't clear where they should be expressed.

-----

I would be quite interested in a sun newsgroup even though I don't have a
machine myself.

-----

put sun discussion in net.works and, if volume is sufficient, create
net.works.sun

----------

I would like to see the implicit creation of net.micro.* where * stands for
any particular microsystem; sun, wicat, etc. with name decisions
straightened out through discussions in net.micro.  If any such group
survives, its clearly very useful.

By implicit creation, I mean recognize that it is OK to create such groups
without having to discuss them in net.news.group.  I see the same need in
net.lang.*.

-----

Were there enough people to justify a mailing list of some sort?

-----

Date: 2 Apr 1983 7:04-PST
From: John Gilmore <sun!gnu>
Subject: Re: net.sun, anyone?
To: allegra!jdd, sss (Steve Saperstein, tech support mgr)

Personally I think net.sun is a good thing; it'll be easier to notify
customers of problems and solutions, see what kind of troubles people
are having, etc.  If and when it gets created, we'll definitely be
listening & responding on it.

	John Gilmore, Sun Microsystems

knutsen (04/09/83)

#R:allegra:-116500:sri-unix:7800005:000:209
sri-unix!knutsen    Apr  7 14:27:00 1983

	There is no problem using net.works.sun as far as
the arpa connection is concerned; it can be blocked off
from the arpa list here, as is presently being done with
the net.micro subgroups.

Andrew Knutsen SRI