[comp.lang.scheme] Portable object oriented scheme systems

raible@nas.nasa.gov (Eric L. &) (04/11/90)

I'm interested in any portable object oriented systems for scheme, or
a non-portable one based on xscheme.

In particular, I've heard that AMOS and SCOOPS are two good
candidates.  I'd especially appreciate any information about them.

Feel free to post or mail, as you desire.

Thanks in advance,

Eric Raible (raible@nas.nasa.gov)

johani@nada.kth.se (Johan Ihren) (04/12/90)

In article <RAIBLE.90Apr10173310@ew09.nas.nasa.gov> raible@orville.nas.nasa.gov writes:

>I'm interested in any portable object oriented systems for scheme, or
>a non-portable one based on xscheme.

Our SCIX system (an OO interface between Scheme and the X Window System)
has a nice object oriented system, designed by Magnus Persson, Digital,
in it. It supports muliple inheritance, inheritance of instances (i.e. not
just of classes), dynamic insertion, deletion and renaming of methods,
optional per-method resolution of message name collisions and other things
one might expect from an OO system.

It is perfectly possible to use HWOOPS separately from SCIX. The only thing
needed is the extend-syntax macro mechanism available in some Scheme systems
(notably Chez Scheme). The source to extend-syntax has been made freely
available by its author, Kent Dybvig, and therefore it has been ported to
several Scheme systems without native extend-syntax support. We have ported
it to the Scheme->C system ourselves. We designed HWOOPS with extend-syntax
and then built SCIX upon HWOOPS.

The HWOOPS subsystem is available in the SCIX distribution which can be
found on expo.lcs.mit.edu:~ftp/contrib/scix-0.96.tar.Z. All you really need
is a few files, but there is no separate distribution of HWOOPS right now.
Of course it is also possible to get it directly through me.

Johan Ihren
Dept. of Computer Science,
Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden
Email: johani@nada.kth.se -or- <backbone>!sunic!nada!johani

johani@nada.kth.se (Johan Ihren) (04/12/90)

In article <RAIBLE.90Apr10173310@ew09.nas.nasa.gov> raible@orville.nas.nasa.gov writes:

>I'm interested in any portable object oriented systems for scheme, or
>a non-portable one based on xscheme.

Our SCIX system (an OO interface between Scheme and the X Window System)
has a nice object oriented system, designed by Magnus Persson, Digital,
in it. It supports muliple inheritance, inheritance of instances (i.e. not
just of classes), dynamic insertion, deletion and renaming of methods,
optional per-method resolution of messagename collisions and other things
one might expect from an OO system.

It is perfectly possible to use HWOOPS separately from SCIX. The only thing
needed is the extend-syntax macro mechanism available in some Scheme systems
(notably Kent Dybvig's Chez Scheme). As Kent Dybvig has made the Scheme source
to extend-syntax freely available it has been ported to othre Scheme systems
as well. We have ported it to the Scheme->C system, designed HWOOPS with
extend-syntax and then built SCIX upon HWOOPS.

The HWOOPS subsystem is available in the SCIX distribution which can be
found on expo.lcs.mit.edu:~ftp/contrib/scix-0.96.tar.Z. All you really need
is a few files, but there is no separate distribution of HWOOPS right now.
Of course it is also possible to get it directly from me.