[comp.lang.scheme] Semantic domains

casteran@geocub.greco-prog.fr (Pierre Casteran) (05/02/90)

in the draft standard for Scheme, the domain equation for pairs is
Ep = L x L x T

L is the domain of locations and T the domain of booleans, and 'x' stands for
the product.

I understand that a pair is a couple of locations, but not the role played
by the boolean composant.

Idem for vectors and strings.

May somebody help me to get the intuition of this equation ?

P. Casteran

P.S.

Is it possible to get the (TeX?) source of that report. I am interested in
the TeX macros used for the formal semantics part.

Thanks in advance.

gateley@m2.csc.ti.com (John Gateley) (05/04/90)

In article <1862@geocub.greco-prog.fr> casteran@geocub.greco-prog.fr (Pierre Casteran) writes:
>in the draft standard for Scheme, the domain equation for pairs is
>Ep = L x L x T
>I understand that a pair is a couple of locations, but not the role played
>by the boolean composant.

The boolean component is used for read only data:
I cannot find the section of the semantics which
constructs data (it may have been omitted), but
any data created by quote can be considered read-only, and
is not modifiable by any mutation procedures.

Check out the definition of set-car in the semantics.

John
gateley@m2.csc.ti.com