[comp.lang.scheme] LeLisp info request: Le-Lisp is alive and well

daniel@dolores.Stanford.EDU (Daniel Weise) (05/25/90)

  In article <136167@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> vladimir@prosper  writes:
   Would you care to elaborate?  What features are sufficiently better than,
   Scheme or Common Lisp to justify having YAVL (Yet Another Version of Lisp),
   another standard, another learning curve?

Please, everyone, let's not have this discussion on comp.lang.scheme.
Please keep it in your own private mailboxes.

Daniel

jeff@aiai.ed.ac.uk (Jeff Dalton) (05/26/90)

In article <136167@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> vladimir@prosper (Vladimir G. Ivanovic) writes:
>In article <18139@well.sf.ca.us>, jjacobs@well (Jeffrey Jacobs) writes:
>>I'm *very* glad to hear that Le_Lisp is indeed still alive and well in
>>Europe.  Its too bad that it didn't catch on better in the U.S.

>Would you care to elaborate?  What features are sufficiently better than, say,
>Scheme or Common Lisp to justify having YAVL (Yet Another Version of Lisp),
>another standard, another learning curve?

Well, Jeff Jacobs is well-known as a critic of Common Lisp, so I'm
sure he'll be able to provide some reasons.

As for Scheme, it still lacks such things as macros, modules,
condition handling, and even the ability to define new (disjoint)
types; many people would like to use Lisps that have such features
rather than wait for Scheme to do it right.

This is not to say Scheme is bad.  I'm glad Scheme is being developed
in the way it is.  However, I also think it's a good idea to have some
variety in the Lisp world so that we don't get stuck in too few ways
of doing things.

Jeff Dalton,                      JANET: J.Dalton@uk.ac.ed
AI Applications Institute,        ARPA:  J.Dalton%uk.ac.ed@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Edinburgh University.             UUCP:  ...!ukc!ed.ac.uk!J.Dalton

vladimir@prosper (Vladimir G. Ivanovic) (05/27/90)

In article <2576@skye.ed.ac.uk>, jeff@aiai (Jeff Dalton) writes:

>As for Scheme, it still lacks such things ....

My question is still unanswered.  I'm NOT arguing the merits or flaws of
Scheme or Common Lisp. It appears you are, but I'm not.  I wanted to know why
we need still another version of Lisp.

The original poster made an assertion that it was a good thing that Le-Lisp
was developed.  I am curious why that assertion was made.

Are there some features of Le-Lisp that are not present in Scheme or Common
Lisp that are "good" to have?  What are those features and why are they good?
Does Le-Lisp correct some mistakes that other versions of Lisp make?  What are
those mistakes? Etc., etc.

It seems to me these are entirely reasonable questions to ask.  I'm not wedded
to either Scheme or Common Lisp.  And I'm not anit-Scheme ro Common Lisp.  If
Le-Lisp is better, I'd like to know about it.  If its raison-etre is to
provide tenure to some professor and employment to a generation of graduate
student, I'd like to know that also.

I'm seeking information, and I was under the impression that that was what
newsgroups were all about.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers,

-- Vladimir
--

Vladimir G. Ivanovic			vladimir@sun.com
M/S 12-33				vladimir@prosper.ebb.eng.sun.com

jeff@aiai.ed.ac.uk (Jeff Dalton) (05/28/90)

In article <136285@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> vladimir@prosper (Vladimir G. Ivanovic) writes:
>My question is still unanswered.  I'm NOT arguing the merits or flaws of
>Scheme or Common Lisp. It appears you are, but I'm not.

All I did was provide a list of features that are not yet in (standard
or R*RS) Scheme.

>Are there some features of Le-Lisp that are not present in Scheme or Common
>Lisp that are "good" to have?

See my previous message.  Common Lisp does have such things, but some
people prefer the form they take in Le_Lisp.

Since this newsgroup is forwarded to the Scheme mailing list, and
since some people on that list don't like to receive discussions of
this sort, I think we should persue this via mail or in comp.lang.
lisp (where I have directed followups).

-- Jeff