[comp.lang.scheme] Minimum hardware for PC-Scheme

kroe@sbcs.sunysb.edu (KiYun Roe) (06/01/90)

Would someone mind telling me what the minimum hardware requirements
for PC-Scheme are?  Would it run, for instance, on a Toshiba T1000SE
laptop w/o hard disk?  Does it take advantage of expanded memory?
--
KiYun Roe					kroe@sbcs.sunysb.edu
Department of Computer Science

boyer@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Charles David Boyer) (06/03/90)

kroe@sbcs.sunysb.edu (KiYun Roe) writes:

>Would someone mind telling me what the minimum hardware requirements
>for PC-Scheme are?  Would it run, for instance, on a Toshiba T1000SE
>laptop w/o hard disk?  Does it take advantage of expanded memory?
>--

Paraphrased from the TI-Scheme manual:
- MS-DOS 2.1 (or greater) or PC-DOS 2.0 (or greater)
- 320K bytes of memory
- Dual diskette drives
Note that additional memory and a hard disk are recomended, particularly
for software development. The EDWIN text editor requires a minimum of
512L bytes of memory. Also, graphics hardware support is required to use
the graphics features of PC Scheme.

PC Scheme will use expanded or extended memory (by running different
executables) but runs fastest in standard memory.

David Boyer

manis@cs.ubc.ca (Vincent Manis) (06/03/90)

I have run PC-Scheme on an original T1000, with no extra memory. You
don't have a lot of free disk space, and you can't easily use Edwin (at
least with moderately sized programs), but it does work. PC-Scheme will
use up to 2MB of memory, but it runs ok on a 512K machine.

--
\    Vincent Manis <manis@cs.ubc.ca>      "There is no law that vulgarity and
 \   Department of Computer Science      literary excellence cannot coexist."