[comp.lang.scheme] Common-lisp to Scheme translation

wa@raven.cad.mcc.com (Wayne Allen) (07/03/90)

I am interested in any work concerning the translation of Common Lisp
to Scheme. I am particularly concerned with actual text translation,
although I realize that practical translation also requires the use of
"compatability" packages.

Any references to papers or working systems would be greatly appreciated.
I will post a summary of direct email replies.

Thanks
 _
 W	| Wayne Allen, wa@mcc.com uunet!cs.utexas.edu!milano!cadillac!wa

maner@bgsuvax.UUCP (Walter Maner) (07/03/90)

From article <WA.90Jul2124002@raven.cad.mcc.com>, by wa@raven.cad.mcc.com (Wayne Allen):

> I am interested in any work concerning the translation of Common Lisp
> to Scheme. I am particularly concerned with actual text translation,
> although I realize that practical translation also requires the use of
> "compatability" packages.
>
> Any references to papers or working systems would be greatly appreciated.
> I will post a summary of direct email replies.

Perhaps these prior postings will help.
WALT

InterNet maner@andy.bgsu.edu  (129.1.1.2)    | BGSU, Comp Science Dept
UUCP     ... ! osu-cis ! bgsuvax ! maner     | Bowling Green, OH 43403
BITNet   MANER@BGSUOPIE                      | 419/372-2337  Secretary
Relays   @relay.cs.net, @nsfnet-relay.ac.uk  | FAX is available - call

-----

From: alms@cambridge.apple.com (Andrew L. M. Shalit)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.scheme
Subject: Re: Scheme to Commonlisp
Date: 10 Nov 89 17:58:32 GMT
Sender: news@cambridge.apple.com

   In article <8911080749.aa12548@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu>, S.Ross@CS (Simon Ross)
   writes:
   >Does anyone have any advice or experience with converting a
   >program in Scheme to CommonLisp (in this case Texas Instruments
   >Scheme and Vax Commonlisp)? If there is some nifty program out
   >there that could do the job?

You may want to look at Pseudoscheme by Jonathon Reese.  It compiles
Scheme to Common Lisp, with the exception of upward continuations.
Unfortunately, I don't have an FTP address.

   -andrew

-----

From: jar@ZURICH.AI.MIT.EDU (Jonathan Rees)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.scheme
Subject: Scheme to Commonlisp
Date: 13 Nov 89 19:32:23 GMT
Sender: daemon@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU

   Date: Wed, 08 Nov 89 12:38:51 +0000
   From: Simon Ross <S.Ross@cs.ucl.ac.uk>

   Does anyone have any advice or experience with converting a
   program in Scheme to CommonLisp (in this case Texas Instruments
   Scheme and Vax Commonlisp)? If there is some nifty program out
   there that could do the job?

An old version of Pseudoscheme comes with the official VAX LISP
distribution from DEC; see the LISP$EXAMPLES directory.  It lets you
run Scheme code in Common Lisp, but doesn't include a file translator.
You can get a newer version of Pseudoscheme that does include a file
translator by anonymous ftp from
zurich.ai.mit.edu:/pub/pseudo/pseudo-2-7.tar.  Documentation is in
file README.  Upward continuations and true tail recursion aren't
supported, but it does turn appropriately written Scheme loops into
Common Lisp PROG forms.

If you want true tail recursion or upward continuations, your task is
much more difficult.

-----

From: jar@ZURICH.AI.MIT.EDU (Jonathan Rees)
Newsgroups: comp.archives
Subject: [scheme] Scheme in Common Lisp
Date: 8 May 90 15:57:07 GMT
Sender: news@math.lsa.umich.edu

Archive-name: pseudoscheme/03-May-90
Archive-site: zurich.ai.mit.edu [18.26.0.176]
Archive-directory: pub/pseudo
Archive-files: pseudo-2-7.tar.Z
Reposted-by: emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti)

There's something called "Pseudoscheme" available by anonymous ftp
from zurich.ai.mit.edu, file pub/pseudo/pseudo-2-7.tar (compressed:
pseudo-2-7.tar.Z).  It's not really Scheme because it doesn't handle
tail recursion except where lexically obvious (i.e. loops written
using LETREC, named LET, or internal DEFINE), and it doesn't handle
continuations in general because CALL-WITH-CURRENT-CONTINUATION is
defined in the obvious way in terms of Common Lisp's BLOCK and
RETURN-FROM.  Its advantage relative to something more faithful is
that it compiles Scheme to idiomatic Common Lisp, which means that
there is no performance hit relative to CL, and you get to use
whatever debugging support the underlying CL gives you.

-----