[net.music] Colin Newman

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (08/26/85)

Someone recently gave me a tape with a couple tracks by someone named
Colin Newman on them.  They are really good.  Does anyone know
anything about him?

			What does 'I' mean?

			Doug Alan
			  nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (or ARPA)

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (08/27/85)

> Someone recently gave me a tape with a couple tracks by someone named
> Colin Newman on them.  They are really good.  Does anyone know
> anything about him?
> 			Doug Alan

Colin Newman used to be with Wire, a sort of eccentric and eclectic band of
British weird musicians, making something that falls somewhere between art
rock ("Map Reference ..."), noise rock ("Three People in a Room"), punk rock
("Dot Dash"), whatever that is, and who knows what else.  Newman has released
a number of albums on his own (as have Gilbert and Lewis, who may be sort of
the Godley and Creme half of Wire, so to speak).  "A-Z" is a fascinatingly
strange record on which the care and selection of timbre and overall sound is
as important an element as the music itself.  Too diverse to describe.
The next record, "(Provisionally entitled) The Singing Fish" (which I don't
have) is a different sort of sound, but done with the same care.  At the
time that "A-Z" came out Newman was being lumped in as a new psychedelic,
but he hardly fits that label as taken on by bands like Echo & the Bunnymen
and (more recently) Three O'Clock.  Perhaps they meant that his approach to
the use of sound is reminiscent of 60s psychedelia.
--
"Wait a minute.  '*WE*' decided???   *MY* best interests????"
					Rich Rosen    ihnp4!pyuxd!rlr

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (08/28/85)

> From: rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen)

>> Someone recently gave me a tape with a couple tracks by someone named
>> Colin Newman on them.  They are really good.  Does anyone know
>> anything about him?
>> 			Doug Alan

> "A-Z" is a fascinatingly strange record on which the care and
> selection of timbre and overall sound is as important an element as
> the music itself.  Too diverse to describe.

Yesterday I picked up Colin Newman's "A-Z" (I hadn't been able to find
it earlier because it was filed in the "Wire" section).  It is a truly
excellent album!  Run out and buy it.  Experience the joyful pain and
painful joy!

				"Rejoinder, rejoinder"

				 Doug Alan
				  nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (or ARPA)

P.S.  Just to annoy people who are sick of hearing about Kate Bush, I
heard of Colin Newman because someone threw a couple of his songs onto a
tape of otherwise Kate Bush bootleg stuff.  Which just shows you what
great taste Kate Bush fans have!