[comp.lang.scheme] XScheme numbers representation?

brian@granite.jpl.nasa.gov (Brian of ASTD-CP) (08/03/90)

In article <.648809664@dutepp1> alfred@dutepp1.tudelft.nl (Alfred Kayser) writes:
>The bignumber system as supported by most Scheme implementations (except
>XScheme) doesn't exist in C.
>
>--
>-- Ir. Alfred Kayser. PACS, OS/2, TCP/IP. --- Email: AKayser@et.tudelft.nl --
>-- CARDIT, Delft University of Technology ------------ Tel: (31)-15-786179 --
>-- P.O.Box 5031, 2600 GA Delft, The Netherlands ------ Fax: (31)-15-784898 --

  You're absolutely right, bignums are a big deal to implement.  One
  approach to cutting short the work would be to lift the bignum code
  from MIT CScheme and attempt to sew it into XScheme.  I know of one
  Scheme that uses the MIT CScheme bignum code (MacScheme 2.0), so
  at least one project has successfully used this approach.

 . . Brian Beckman . . . . . . . . . . brian@granite.jpl.nasa.gov. . . .
 . . meta-disclaimer: every statement in this message is false . . . . .

db@witzend.East.Sun.COM (David Brownell) (08/07/90)

> >The bignumber system as supported by most Scheme implementations (except
> >XScheme) doesn't exist in C.

>   You're absolutely right, bignums are a big deal to implement.  One
>   approach to cutting short the work would be to lift the bignum code
>   from MIT CScheme and attempt to sew it into XScheme.

Many systems have the mp(3x) library, callable from C, which provides
multiple precision integer math.  The worst problem looks to be that
it's oriented to hex I/O, but I suspect that with sources (it's UCB
code I think) that's probably not painful to fix.

I suspect it'd be less work to use this than to take code out of CScheme,
but who knows.

David Brownell			db@east.sun.com.

"What's the network equivalent of 'the rough section of town'?"