[comp.lang.scheme] running

gjc@mitech.COM (08/21/90)

If you need to run with a small heap (or even if you don't)
you probably want to use the startup flag -g0, to turn on the
mark-and-sweep GC code. Or modify SLIB.C to have that be the
default.
Obviously being able to GC during a computation is very helpful
in avoiding heap overflow.

The reason I didn't make g0 the default on systems that could use it
was that I didn't want to take up a lot of source-code size in
a bunch of architectural specific "#ifdef" conditionalizations.
(Usually what makes a C program "portable" just look at GNU EMACS,
which has probably been ported to more machines than any other C
program that exists. It is a thicket of conditionalizations in places).
Not that that is a bad thing, it just makes the code difficult to
read.

-gjc

In article <9008212210.AA23369@schizo> gjc@mitech.com writes:
> The reason I didn't make g0 the default on systems that could use it
> was that I didn't want to take up a lot of source-code size in
> a bunch of architectural specific "#ifdef" conditionalizations.

Not to mention that it's not that portable. When I use it I get lots
of core dumps, which I suppose is one way of getting rid of the garbage.

GC during execution isn't that important in an extension language, though
it would be nice...
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
+1 713 274 5180.   'U`