[comp.lang.scheme] Environment vs. Language

plogan@dad.mentor.COM (Patrick Logan) (03/13/91)

   From: Jeff Dalton <jeff@aiai.ed.ac.uk>
   In article <455@data.UUCP> kend@data.UUCP (Ken Dickey) writes:
   >A small, but important clarification: let's seperate "language" and
   >"programming environment" issues. [...]

   I do not agree that EVAL is environment.  EVAL might be provided as
   part of the environment in Scheme -- because it's not part of the
   language.  But that does not mean it is inherently environmental.
   In most Lisps, it is part of the language.

Someone once complained about Emacs because he or she did not think a
text editor should do anything but edit text. A response came from
someone else that made the claim, better than I will here, that we
shouldn't cling too much to our current definitions of things like
"text editors" because we're just beginning to understand programming
and computers as tools to do our work.
--
Patrick Logan, Mentor Graphics Corp.
8500 SW Creekside, Beaverton, Oregon 97005-7191