[comp.lang.scheme] Scheme on Mac Plus

rodrigue@diamond.cs.yale.edu (joseph rodrigue) (03/12/91)

Hi, can someone point me to (a) a list of available Scheme compilers for the
Mac Plus, and/or (b) one of said compilers.  Recommendations and advice
welcome.

Thank you.

mikel@Apple.COM (Mikel Evins) (03/14/91)

In article <RODRIGUE.91Mar11203842@diamond.cs.yale.edu> rodrigue@diamond.cs.yale.edu (joseph rodrigue) writes:
>Hi, can someone point me to (a) a list of available Scheme compilers for the
>Mac Plus, and/or (b) one of said compilers.  Recommendations and advice
>welcome.
>
>Thank you.

XScheme is available free. I think it's on uunet.uu.net. It's
written in C, and is quite portable. It includes some object-
oriented facilities. Its compiler generates byte codes, which
are then interpreted.

Lightship software of Beaverton Oregon supplies a couple
of version of their MacScheme. The full development
system is, I think, $495, and includes a very efficient
native code compiler and full interfaces to the Mac
Toolbox. On the other hand, I find the price a little
steep considering the relative crudeness of the development
environment. Apple's Common Lisp has the same price and a
far superior development environment. The trade-off
is that MacScheme can create a 100K application, whereas
you are darn lucky to get one under 800K with Apple's
Common Lisp. I have been known to prototype code in
Apple's Common Lisp, using PsuedoScheme, and move it
to MacScheme for compilation.

fausett@ra.radc.af.mil (Mark L. Fausett) (03/14/91)

You might also consider Brandeis (sp?) University's Gambit for the Mac - the
cost is right (free) and the compiler is reputed to rank somewhere above the
T compiler.  The development environment is a might crude on the Mac, but there
are also versions for other 680xx platforms like sun3's and NeXTen.

Mark Fausett
fausett@aivax.radc.af.mil

(Oh, yes, look at acorn.brandeis.edu for the compiler/interpreter)

mcdougal@cs.uchicago.edu (03/19/91)

In article <50212@apple.Apple.COM> mikel@Apple.COM (Mikel Evins) writes:
>Lightship software of Beaverton Oregon supplies a couple
>of version of their MacScheme. The full development
>system is, I think, $495, and includes a very efficient
>native code compiler and full interfaces to the Mac
>Toolbox. On the other hand, I find the price a little
>steep considering the relative crudeness of the development
>environment.

You might be able to get good site-license rates.  I'd be surprised if Yale
didn't have a site license.

I want to give a little cheer for Lightship Software, BTW, for their excellent
and friendly technical support.

-Tom (mcdougal@cs.uchicago.edu)