[comp.lang.scheme] Oaklisp query

I have a copy of Oaklisp that I received in 1989.
Have there been any changes/improvements to it since then?
It used to be possible to FTP Oaklisp from doghen.boltz.cs.cmu.edu
(128.2.222.37), but whenever I try the connection times out.
I want to run it on an Encore Multimax (NS32532 processors).

--
It is indeed manifest that dead men are formed from living ones;
but it does not follow from that, that living men are formed from dead ones.

mikel@Apple.COM (Mikel Evins) (04/05/91)

In article <5102@goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au> ok@goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au (Richard A. O'Keefe) writes:
>I have a copy of Oaklisp that I received in 1989.
>Have there been any changes/improvements to it since then?
>It used to be possible to FTP Oaklisp from doghen.boltz.cs.cmu.edu
>(128.2.222.37), but whenever I try the connection times out.
>I want to run it on an Encore Multimax (NS32532 processors).

In a related query, I have attempted on several occasions
to build Oaklisp on a Mac, a NeXT, and a VAX. Another
lisp programmer I know has tried building it on the
Mac and the VAX. We have never succeeded. I have
repeatedly downloaded oaklisp distribution files,
followed the instructions, and run smack into some
failure that I couldn't figure out how to fix. Anybody
have a clue how I can start to figure out how to
get it built? Better yet, does anybody have a version
of oaklisp that builds correctly on the NeXT?

adrianho@barkley.berkeley.edu (Adrian J Ho) (04/05/91)

In article <5102@goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au> ok@goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au (Richard A. O'Keefe) writes:
>I have a copy of Oaklisp that I received in 1989.
>Have there been any changes/improvements to it since then?
>It used to be possible to FTP Oaklisp from doghen.boltz.cs.cmu.edu
>(128.2.222.37), but whenever I try the connection times out.
>I want to run it on an Encore Multimax (NS32532 processors).

Yes.  The latest release is dated Dec 15, 1990.  Here's part of Barak
Pearlmutter's (one of the authors) reply to my query two months back.

% There have been only very minor bug fixes since Jan '90.  Because I
% left CMU my workstation was recycled, so the most recent copies of
% both the release and the manuals is on f.gp.cs.cmu.edu (128.2.250.164),
% /usr/bap/oak/ftpable/.  There is also a chapter in "Topics in Advanced
% language Implementation" ed Peter Lee, MIT Press, 1990.  It was
% supposed to be in distribution a couple months ago.

Things to note:

1) Barak has a new email address (barak@james.psych.yale.edu).

2) When you do the FTP, "cd /usr/bap/oak/ftpable".  Most other
directory specifications seem to be illegal (in particular, ".." is
disallowed).  Keeps you from browsing the filesystems.  8-)

Good luck!

Adrian Ho, EECS (pronounced "eeks!") Dept.		Phone: (415) 642-5563
UC Berkeley					adrianho@barkley.berkeley.edu
Domain: sesame-street (telly,bigbird,snuffy,oscar,kermit,bert,grover,barkley)