[comp.lang.scheme] Where can I get MacScheme?

hseung@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Hyunsuk Seung) (05/07/91)

Is Macscheme public domain? If so, where could I obtain them?

--
H. Seung	hseung@eniac.seas.upenn.edu	3820 Locust Walk #876
		University of Pennsylvania	Philadelphia, PA 19104

mccabe@currituck.cs.unc.edu (Daniel McCabe) (05/08/91)

In article <42722@netnews.upenn.edu> hseung@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Hyunsuk Seung) writes:
>Is Macscheme public domain? If so, where could I obtain them?
>H. Seung	hseung@eniac.seas.upenn.edu	3820 Locust Walk #876

No, it is not.  However, the Student Edition (Trade Edition) can be purchased
for about $30 from MIT Press (call (800)555-1212 to get the number for MIT
Press; I don't have it handy).

I have found that MacScheme is an order of magnitude faster than any of the
public domain Scheme interpreters which run on the Mac.  For $30, you are
getting a great deal.

A minor limitation of the Trade Edition is that you are limited to 1MB
for your address space.  If you want or need a larger address space, you
need to buy the regular version (which lists for about $100) or
MacScheme+Toolsmith (which lists for $400).

Cheers,
danm

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Lightship Software or MIT Press other
than as a satisfied customer.

doner@henri.ucsb.edu (John Doner) (05/09/91)

In article <3729@borg.cs.unc.edu> mccabe@currituck.cs.unc.edu (Daniel McCabe) writes:
>A minor limitation of the [MacScheme] Trade Edition is that you
> are limited to 1MB
>for your address space.  If you want or need a larger address space, you
>need to buy the regular version (which lists for about $100) or
>MacScheme+Toolsmith (which lists for $400).

Last Summer the MacScheme distributors sent me a free copy of the
Student Edition (one of the perks of being a professor).  I'm pretty
impressed, and still trying to figure out whether and how to use it in
teaching mathematics.  But it is not limited to 1 meg; the default
partition size under Multifinder is 2700K.

John E. Doner	doner@henri.ucsb.edu	(805)893-3941
Dept. Mathematics, UCSB, Santa Barbara, CA 93106