[comp.sys.tahoe] NFS for tahoe?

cczdao@clan.nott.ac.uk (David Osborne) (03/19/89)

i read in a recent issue of "Unix World" that CCI have ported NFS
to the Power6/32.  does anyone know if this is available, or is it
still on beta test?

we're currently running System V, supplied by ICL -- does the NFS
port work with SysV?  and would we be able to obtain it from CCI
if ICL would or could not supply it?

while i'm asking about System V, ICL have an annoying habit of taking
the CCI release and removing useful parts of it, like Melbourne filesystem
quotas, so it fits in with their other System V products on other machines.
am i right in thinking that CCI's SysV, in pure, unadulterated form,
provide quotas?  i'd like to be able to retro-fit them to what we
get from ICL  (we're just about to move, at last, to "release 2.22",
which from the notes, says it's SysV.3 compatible).

dave.
--
David Osborne
 Cripps Computing Centre, University of Nottingham, Nottingham NG7 2RD, UK

benson@rlgvax.UUCP (Paul Benson) (04/14/89)

In article <3259@robin.cs.nott.ac.uk> cczdao@clan.nott.ac.uk (David Osborne) writes:
>i read in a recent issue of "Unix World" that CCI have ported NFS
>to the Power6/32.  does anyone know if this is available, or is it
>still on beta test?

Yes, we have had 3.01 with NFS for a while.
Works, great -- lots of mods for improved slave processing (MP)

Also, IP subnetting coming soon, thanx to Dennis Bednar! will still be
4.2bsd though (not 4.3).

>we're currently running System V, supplied by ICL -- does the NFS
>port work with SysV?  and would we be able to obtain it from CCI
>if ICL would or could not supply it?

I believe so.... I don't see why they wouldn't supply it though,
they own CCI!! CCI was purchased by STC of England, and now reports
to ICL, a subsidiary of STC.

>while i'm asking about System V, ICL have an annoying habit of taking
>the CCI release and removing useful parts of it, like Melbourne filesystem
>quotas, so it fits in with their other System V products on other machines.

I think they are behind in Office Power releases as well. There is an effort
underway to consolodate the ICL and CCI versions of Office Power into an
international release.

>am i right in thinking that CCI's SysV, in pure, unadulterated form,
>provide quotas?  i'd like to be able to retro-fit them to what we
>get from ICL  (we're just about to move, at last, to "release 2.22",
>which from the notes, says it's SysV.3 compatible).

Well, to be honest...
I don't know if CCI supports quotas at all.

CCI System V is BSD under the hood, it meets the System V interface definition
in order to be called SystemV, but it's all 4.2bsd.

PS: 4.3bsd is being developed on a tahoe -- trivial, but true.

>dave.
>--
>David Osborne
> Cripps Computing Centre, University of Nottingham, Nottingham NG7 2RD, UK
> (Phone: +44 602 484848 x2064)
> JANET:    d.osborne@uk.ac.nott.clan

Bob Thralls