[comp.sys.tahoe] ice breaker

ericco@ssl.berkeley.edu (Eric C. Olson) (10/20/90)

Since bill started the flow in this newsgroup, I'd like to know what
tahoe is.  I've seen it mentioned in different places, but never an
explaination.  Is it the public domain part of BSD Unix?

Thanks,
Eric
--
Eric
ericco@ssl.berkeley.edu

jeffw@pyrnova.pyramid.com (Jeff Wallace - S.E.) (10/20/90)

In article <ERICCO.90Oct19105259@soc1.ssl.berkeley.edu> ericco@ssl.berkeley.edu (Eric C. Olson) writes:
>Since bill started the flow in this newsgroup, I'd like to know what
>tahoe is.  I've seen it mentioned in different places, but never an
>explaination.  Is it the public domain part of BSD Unix?
>
>Thanks,
>Eric
>--
>Eric
>ericco@ssl.berkeley.edu

Gee, let's see, its a..... lake?, truck? operating system?, CCI produced
mini-computer?.  Take your pick, it all depends on what this newsgroup is
being used for on any one particular day.

Iy you want to know about the hardware (computer not truck) send me mail
and I'll boor you to death.

-jeffw

jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (10/30/90)

In article <131073@pyramid.pyramid.com> jeffw@pyrnova.pyramid.com (Jeff Wallace - S.E.) writes:
>In article <ERICCO.90Oct19105259@soc1.ssl.berkeley.edu> ericco@ssl.berkeley.edu (Eric C. Olson) writes:
>>Since bill started the flow in this newsgroup, I'd like to know what
>>tahoe is.  I've seen it mentioned in different places, but never an
>>explaination.  Is it the public domain part of BSD Unix?
>
>Gee, let's see, its a..... lake?, truck? operating system?, CCI produced
>mini-computer?.  Take your pick, it all depends on what this newsgroup is
>being used for on any one particular day.

The entry in the official newsgroup listing from Gene Spafford says:

  comp.sys.tahoe  CCI 6/32, Harris HCX/7, & Sperry 7000 computers.

Another source of confusion is that when Berkeley ported 4.3BSD over to run
on the Tahoe hardware, they released a new set of sources and called the
distribution "4.3-Tahoe".  (It also includes various bug fixes to the
utilities.)

So, this group was set up to discuss problems/experiences of running Unix
on the Tahoe hardware, but hardly anybody is posting.

--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: jms@tardis.tymnet.com or jms@gemini.tymnet.com
BT Tymnet Tech Services | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms