[comp.sys.sgi] IRIS RGL

garrett@udel.EDU (Joel Garrett) (12/16/87)

In article <8712151916.AA24804@M7-321-5> miked@ATHENA.MIT.EDU writes:
>Peter,
>
>As an alternative, you might investigate installing the IRIS Remote Graphic
>Library (available from your friendly purveyor of IRISes) on your VAX.
>Mike Drooker
>Design Laboratory
>Ocean Engineering Department
>MIT

We've been trying to get the RGL for our 3030s to use with Precision Visuals'
GK-2000 and DI-3000 and have been getting no end of run-around from our local
SGI rep.  First they said it wouldn't run under the newer kernels, but now they
say it does, but we still don't have it and have been BEGGING them for it for
what seems to be AGES now.  Anyone have any ideas?

					Joel J. Garrett
					Research Associate
					Center for Composite Materials
					University of Delaware
					Newark, DE  19716

					arpa:  garrett@udel.edu
					or:    garrett@udel-ccm.arpa

marc@aplpy.jhuapl.EDU ("Marcus H. Gates") (12/16/87)

   There is another option (maybe).  We are a running applications on a Vax
and doing remote graphics to 6 2400's connected on an ethernet.  Initially
we were using the RGL from Silicon Graphics but people at NASA Ames developed
a sockets based RGL for use with their Cray and many irises.  We were able
(with permission from SGI) to get a copy of their package and easily adapted
it to work on our Vax.  We are very happy with it.  In case anyone doesn't
already know it, the original SGI Remote Graphics was basically a modified
'cu' command.  The sockets-based version is much faster.  I believe the
person to contact at Ames is Diana Choi.  If I can be of further help please
feel free to contact me.
					marc gates
					johns hopkins applied physics lab
					laurel, md