[comp.sys.sgi] Silicon Graphics ftp Bug

mike@bucasb.bu.edu (Michael Cohen) (02/09/88)

In communicating with a BSD 4.3 machine SGI ftp doesn't seem
to be able to do mputs or mgets.  This is true if I either attmpt
to mget from a remote machine or mput locally.  I get different error
messages in each case.  ftp using put or get works fine.  Has anybody
seen bugs like this before.

garrett@udel.EDU (Joel Garrett) (02/10/88)

In article <571366210.10744@bucasb.bu.edu> mike@bucasb.UUCP (Michael Cohen) writes:
>In communicating with a BSD 4.3 machine SGI ftp doesn't seem
>to be able to do mputs or mgets.  This is true if I either attmpt
>to mget from a remote machine or mput locally.  I get different error
>messages in each case.  ftp using put or get works fine.  Has anybody
>seen bugs like this before.

Yeah, we've been having that same problem ever since we upgraded to the latest
release of the kernel.  Does anyone know if SGI knows about the problem
already and maybe has a fix for it?

					Joel Garrett
					Research Associate
					Center for Composite Materials
					University of Delaware
					Newark, DE  19716

					arpa: garrett@udel.edu

ian@johny.SGI.COM (Ian Clements) (02/10/88)

In article <571366210.10744@bucasb.bu.edu>, mike@bucasb.bu.edu (Michael Cohen) writes:
> In communicating with a BSD 4.3 machine SGI ftp doesn't seem
> to be able to do mputs or mgets.

 Which machine?  What exactly are the errors?

 I am able to do both mputs and mgets on binary and ascii data between both
an IRIS 3000 series machine running 3.6 and a 780 running 4.3BSD+NFS.

		Ian

blbates@AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV (Bates TAD/HRNAB ms294 x2601) (02/17/88)

   In referece to Michael Cohen's message: YES.  ftp, along with just about
everything else on the IRIS's, doesn't work properly.  People at NASA Ames
have supposedly come up with a fix, however, it works only marginally better.
Silicon Graphics makes great hardware, but, the software stinks!  and their
documentation is worse.  I have used BETA test site software that works
better.
   I don't know who you should talk to at Ames to see if you can get their
ftp.  I think they are suppose to have an improved telnet too.
Good luck.
					  Brent L. Bates