[comp.sys.sgi] Parallel Processing Graphics Engine

dennisr@ncr-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Dennis Russell) (03/02/88)

I would like to receive information on the multiple MIPS based
parallel-processing graphics engine from Silicon Graphics that was
presented in a paper delivered at Uniforum a few weeks ago.  A copy of the
paper would also be appreciated.

--
Dennis Russell                               |      NCR Corp., M/S 4720
phone:    619-485-3214                       |      16550 W. Bernardo Dr.

jmb@patton.SGI.COM (Jim Barton) (03/03/88)

In article <2067@ncr-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM>, dennisr@ncr-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Dennis Russell) writes:
> I would like to receive information on the multiple MIPS based
> parallel-processing graphics engine from Silicon Graphics that was
> presented in a paper delivered at Uniforum a few weeks ago.  A copy of the
> paper would also be appreciated.
>

> --
> Dennis Russell                               |      NCR Corp., M/S 4720
> phone:    619-485-3214                       |      16550 W. Bernardo Dr.
> UUCP:  ...{ihnp4|pyramid}!ncr-sd!dennisr     |      San Diego, CA 92128

Several presentations have been made on various things by SGI personnel
recently, though none of them have been about this.  At USENIX (NOT, mind
you, the same as Uniforum), we presented two papers:

"Beyond Threads: Resource Sharing in UNIX" (Barton and Wagner), which
discussed our modifications to 5.3.1 for advanced support of "threads"

"Translation Lookaside Buffer Management in a Multiprocessor System",
(Thompson, Barton, Wagner, Jermoluk), discussing just what it says.

Also on the systems side, Forrest Baskett presented a paper at CompCon
last week on some of our work (sorry, don't know the title offhand).

The pipelined graphics architecture used in our newest models (4D70GT)
is described in the technical brief on the product, and was also described
in a paper presented recently by Kurt Akely.

If you can't find a copy of the USENIX proceedings, I'd be happy to
send you electronic versions of the USENIX papers (you'll need nroff, the
ms macros, and 'pic').  For information on the 4D70GT, contact our
marketing and sales organization.

The above papers obviously refer to multiprocessor systems, but no product
has yet been announced.  You'll just have to wait and see how well
we've done - I think you may be pleasantly surprised...

-- Jim Barton
From the UNIX asylum at SiliconGraphics, Inc.
jmb@sgi.sgi.com,  sgi!jmb@decwrl.dec.com, ...{decwrl,sun}!sgi!jmb