From: bbtest1@oddjob.uchicago.edu (Matt Crawford)
Newsgroups: news.admin.ctl
Subject: version
Date: 12 May 88 18:22:47 GMT
Control: version

The word "breaking" needs some elaboration.  The machine would
appear to operate normally for periods varying from a few seconds
to 15 min and then freeze.  Symptoms included frozen graphics and
no response to any key or set of keys at the console, over a serial
line or ethernet.  The system never crashed and the processor was
not halted.  The status lights continued to cycle between 2 and 3.
The system would just become totally unresponsive.  Sounds like a
hardware problem?  The SGI field engineer thought so and spent the
better part of a week testing every hardware subsystem.  Removing the
data and execute files for the control message from /usr/spool/uucp
fixed the problem.

I think it's pretty strange that a program running in user space
should be able to break a machine in this way.

I reported this to Silicon Graphics but as of yet have received no
feedback.  Did anyone else have problems dealing with this message?

iamsure!idonot!seewhy!thiswas!done