[comp.sys.sgi] old sgi machines...

ken@gatech.edu (Ken Seefried iii) (08/09/88)

Does anyone still run the old 1400 and 2400 series silicon graphics machines?
Does SGI still support them?

thanks...

	ken seefried iii
	ken@gatech.edu

king@client2.DRETOR.UUCP (Stephen King) (08/10/88)

In article <17350@gatech.edu> ken@gatech.edu (Ken Seefried iii) writes:
>Does anyone still run the old 1400 and 2400 series silicon graphics machines?
	Yes, we have two of these	^^^^
>Does SGI still support them?
	No. But we can still get replacement parts.

To the best of my knowledge, the 2400T (Turbo - 68020) is the 'base'
machine for SGI. Most software is being written for this, or the 4D.
For our non-turbo 2400 there is no longer a software subscription service;
we do self-maintenance and can get boards to swap, so I assume SGI will
still service these machines themselves. Hope this helps.

--
***** DCIEM Simulation & Training Group *********** Stephen J King **********
- is not responsible for this message.	     {utzoo|mnetor}!dciem!dretor!king

anton@postgres.uucp (Jeff Anton) (08/11/88)

In article <17350@gatech.edu> ken@gatech.edu (Ken Seefried iii) writes:
>Does anyone still run the old 1400 and 2400 series silicon graphics machines?
>Does SGI still support them?

Well,  I have a 1400 workstation and a 1000 terminal as the core of my
collection of "Personal Computers."   There aren't any recent OS upgrades
and I understand the line was junked early on.  However, I find the machine
quite useful for getting my graphics fix and for a home UNIX box which I
can code on my own.  The 1000 and 1400 share several boards so I hope
to survive hardware failure for some time.

I'm interested in contacting anyone else who might be running these old
machines to exchange hints on management, maintainance, and software.
					Jeff Anton

wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) (08/13/88)

In article <906@client2.DRETOR.UUCP>, king@client2.DRETOR.UUCP (Stephen King) writes:
> In article <17350@gatech.edu> ken@gatech.edu (Ken Seefried iii) writes:
> >Does anyone still run the old 1400 and 2400 series silicon graphics machines?
> 	Yes, we have two of these	^^^^
> >Does SGI still support them?
> 	No. But we can still get replacement parts.

Does anyone out there know of any of the older SGI machines for sale?  I
would be very interested in picking one up if they're available for a
reasonable price.

Is the software written for the newer machines (like the 4D) compatible
with the older machines?  I assume the software written for the older
ones runs OK on the newer ones, right?

	Thanks,
	Wes Peters
--
                     {hpda, uwmcsd1}!sp7040!obie!wes
           "Happiness lies in being priviledged to work hard for

jmb@patton.SGI.COM (Jim Barton) (08/16/88)

SGI will sell you new or used 3000 series machines for very good prices.
This is part of our remarketing program for these machines.  Contact
Craig Olson at the factory in Mountain View (408-962-3360) for details.

-- Jim Barton
Silicon Graphics Computing Systems    "UNIX: Live Free Or Die!"
jmb@sgi.sgi.com, sgi!jmb@decwrl.dec.com, ...{decwrl,sun}!sgi!jmb