[comp.sys.sgi] sendmail

DIAMOND@DREA-XX.ARPA (Jim Diamond) (08/05/88)

We have a 3130 which is connected to a local area network (speaking TCP/IP).
One of the systems on the LAN is an arpanet gateway.  I wanted to get
sendmail set up to communicate with the rest of the world.

I tried reading the S.G. documentation.  It talked about a couple
of files in a directory which didn't even come with our system.
Thus that was little use.

I tried modifying the copy of the sendmail.cf file which came with
the system, according to the instructions contained therein.
That didn't help either.  Depending on how I set it up, I either
get "user unknown" or "host unknown" type messages.

Since we have ftp and telnet working fine, I assume that the problem
is most likely with my sendmail.cf file and not elsewhere.

Before I spend possibly outrageous amounts of time becoming a sendmail
expert, is there anyone out there who can either
1) enlighten me with a few sentences, or
2) send me a working sendmail.cf for a similar system.

Thanks.
		Jim Diamond
		diamond@drea-xx.arpa
-------

DIAMOND@DREA-XX.ARPA (Jim Diamond) (08/24/88)

   1) 29-Jul To: INFO-IRIS@DREA-X sendmail
   2) 17-Aug Andrew Myers         3000 sendmail setup

Message 1 -- ************************
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 88 08:59:10 ADT
From: Jim Diamond <DIAMOND@DREA-XX.ARPA>
Subject: sendmail
To: INFO-IRIS@DREA-XX.ARPA

Message 2 -- ************************
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 88 16:26:44 PDT
From: Andrew Myers <andru@sgi.com>
To: DIAMOND@DREA-XX.ARPA
Subject: 3000 sendmail setup
Cc: andru@rhialto.sgi.com

Re: sendmail.cf problems on IRIS 3130

I had the same problem on a 3030 machine, and ended up copying a sendmail.cf
file from Stanford (polya.stanford.edu, I believe) and modifying it slightly.
The modifications involved changing the lines in the file which define the
domain and hostname, and also changing the flags which were passed to the
mailer programs to match those in the SGI sendmail.cf file. Unfortunately,
I don't have access to that machine or file anymore, but this is one way to
do it. About 4-5 lines in a "real" sendmail.cf need modification.

-------

DIAMOND@DREA-XX.ARPA (Jim Diamond) (08/24/88)

I sent out the following message a few weeks ago.  Then our system
decided to take a week or ten days off, so I'm not certain whether
or not some helpful messages which came my way got returned.
I did get one reply (from Andrew Myers (thanks)) but I couldn't
get the file he recommended.  If anyone else out there can be of
assistance, I would be most grateful.

We have a 3130 which is connected to a local area network (speaking TCP/IP).
One of the systems on the LAN is an arpanet gateway.  I wanted to get
sendmail set up to communicate with the rest of the world.

I tried reading the S.G. documentation.  It talked about a couple
of files in a directory which didn't even come with our system.
Thus that was little use.

I tried modifying the copy of the sendmail.cf file which came with
the system, according to the instructions contained therein.
That didn't help either.  Depending on how I set it up, I either
get "user unknown" or "host unknown" type messages.

Since we have ftp and telnet working well, I assume that the problem