[comp.sys.sgi] WHINERS

rpaul@dasys1.UUCP (Rod Paul) (10/03/88)

I'm getting a little tired of listening to people whine about things on
this mailgroup. I happen to be a pretty opinionated person myself but I
don't waste valuable network resources bitching about things SGI should
and should not do. If you have a serious gripe with SGI, call them directly
on the phone and save the rest of us the hassle of clogging up our
mailboxes.

Thanks.

blbates@AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV (Bates TAD/HRNAB ms294 x2601) (10/04/88)

    I disagree with Rod Paul.  I is nice to know that you aren't the only
person having problems with SGI.  Further, SGI rarely listens to individuals.
SGI is making a BAD name for themselves and if they don't straighten up,
people are going to go to other companies, were they can get the service
they deserve.

rion@FORD-WDL39.ARPA (Rion T Cassidy) (10/04/88)

blbates writes:

>SGI is making a BAD name for themselves and if they don't straighten up,
>people are going to go to other companies, were they can get the service
>they deserve.

That's exactly what we did.  We went to Prime, who sells SGI equipment
that says Prime on it.  Oddly, our SGI sales rep didn't seem to care too
much that we did that, and even less why we did it.

Prime insists on their equipment working right before they release it, so
they take SGI's stuff and test it all out to make sure its up to snuff.  From
what I've heard, they've had to "straighten out" SGI on certain things that
weren't working so well so that they could sell the product.  Unfortunately,
this results in a bit of a time lag between the point where SGI announces
the product and Prime actually starts selling it -- perhaps as much as
seven months.

Rion Cassidy
Ford Aerospace

P.S.  Maybe a negative posting like this will give someone the incentive to
take me off this mailing list like I've asked?

rdombro@ARDEC.ARPA ("Robert M. Dombroski ", FSAC) (10/05/88)

     I think its good to here some of the whining.  Besides giving me a laugh
in the morning, its interesting to here the problems some people have with
SGI.  I've sort of been illusioned about them.  You see, I get same day
hardware service, the hot line usually responds with the right answer, and the
sales force, including the regional manager come running on a momments notice
when needed.  However, with 30 3130's, 8 4D80GT's and 3 of the 80MIP guys on
the way, I guess SGI knows what side there bread is buttered on.  Oh well,
money talks and bullshit walks, unfortunately.
     Lets keep this as a forum for the guys who have gripes of every nature as
well as the nuts who send out those gigantic graphics routines that I just
LOVE to have cluttering up my mailbox.

Bob Dombroski
U. S. Army ARDEC
Picatinny Arsenal, N.J.