[comp.sys.sgi] 4Sight, X or NeWS?

brian@radio.astro.utoronto.ca (Brian Glendenning) (10/18/88)

I will shortly be porting an application to an Iris 4D Turbo machine, and I
am wondering which windowing system I should use. X or NeWS is attractive
for portability reasons, but I don't know if they are as capable or as well
done as 4Sight.

My application deals largely with 24 bit raster images, plus overlay planes,
colormap manipulation etc.

Any suggestions as to utility, performance, implementation quality etc will
be much appreciated.
--
	  Brian Glendenning - Radio astronomy, University of Toronto
brian@radio.astro.utoronto.ca uunet!utai!radio!brian  glendenn@utorphys.bitnet

jim@THRUSH.STANFORD.EDU (Jim Helman) (10/21/88)

We have a 4D/70GT, a wonderful machine that is damn fast for lots of
things.  Sadly, X is not one of them.  The X support is EXTREMELY SLOW
for doing things like scrolling a window.  It takes several seconds to
scroll an 80 column, full screen height window.  I'm hooked on
gnuemacs with mouse and was very disappointed when I realized the
speed of 4Sight's X11 support makes the machine unusable for this and
many other X applications.  It might get better in a release (it
improved somewhat in the last release) or it may be a fundamental
problem with doing bitblt style operations on the GT hardware.  (Any
comments from SGI on this?)  In any case, it's forced me to do all my
editing using X11 on a nearby VaxStation GPX.

I only use the SGI screen for actually running my graphics programs.
This is safer anyway, since while debugging a graphics program, a bad
graphics library call can cause the window manager to die and take the
whole console session with it.

I don't know if 4Sight's NeWS has better pixel performance, but
normally I would expect X to be better than NeWS for raster image
operations, since X is built around a raster imaging model.

Jim Helman
Department of Applied Physics
Stanford University

phil@BRL.MIL (Phil Dykstra) (10/21/88)

SGI seems to be redoing the X11 support for a future 4Sight release.
We had a working X11 system (even if not very fast) under our first
4Sight release, and then a ..(no comment because it was a beta test)..
X11 system.  Now I hear that X will no longer be supplied with 4Sight
until some future date.  Perhaps SGI felt it was better not to include
it, rather than have people (incorrectly) judge the performance of
the machine based on the X support.  I could understand this decision
if true, but its only my conjecture as to why it went away. Personally
I preferred having X support, whether fast or slow, to not having it at
all.

Since folks like Ardent and Stellar are basing their products on "high
performance" X platforms, I trust that SGI will make a reasonable effort
to provide a good X interface in the future.

> In any case, it's forced me to do all my editing using X11 on a
> nearby VaxStation GPX.

Gee, we do all of our editing on Sun 3/50s :-).

- Phil

miq@chromavac.SGI.COM (Miq Millman) (10/22/88)

In article <8810202336.AA03068@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, jim@THRUSH.STANFORD.EDU (Jim Helman) writes:

> I don't know if 4Sight's NeWS has better pixel performance, but
> normally I would expect X to be better than NeWS for raster image
> operations, since X is built around a raster imaging model.

The reason that X is so much slower on our machines is because of the way it
handles doing things like rubberbanding and highlighting.  X uses XOR to
change colors on the screen which is just fine for a monochrome no grey scale
monitor, but it really sucks with color.  On the SGI workstations, overlay
planes are used for doing the same things that X tries to do with XOR.  The
graphics hardware is incredibly fast, so performace is not hurt.  On the 4D
series, pixel performance is about 8 million pixels per second.

Incidently, a new version of X for our machines is being worked on and it
should be released soon.

--
"The Queen promised she would ream us with 20 inch cattle prods, and I'm STILL
 waiting!"  -Rene' Henderson (aka Toshiro Baloney) _Forbidden Zone_

marcel@mlogic.UUCP (Marcel Samek) (10/24/88)

In article <20894@sgi.SGI.COM> miq@chromavac.SGI.COM (Miq Millman) writes:

>graphics hardware is incredibly fast, so performace is not hurt.  On the 4D
>series, pixel performance is about 8 million pixels per second.

In the context of the discussion, which was about pixel based operations,
this statement is utter nonsense.

The architecture of the 4D series does not provide direct  acess  into  the
frame  buffer  and  thus any pixel data generated by an application program
must be passed down the geometry pipeline.  While the 3D  geometry  engines
may  be  able  to get pixel performance of 8 million pixels per second when
painting 3d data, application programs can achieve  pixel  performances  of
significantly  less  than  100,000  pixels  per second (roughly 2 orders of
magnitude less) when painting pixel data.

If you wish to read pixels  from  the  frame  buffer,  the  performance  is
significantly slower than if you wish to write pixels.

It is disappointing to see Silicon Graphics employees post such deceptive
garbage to the net.

Marcel

--
Marcel A. Samek                      | Media Logic Incorporated
				     | 2501 Colorado Blvd. Suite 350
ARPA: mlogic!marcel@unisys.sm.com    | Santa Monica, CA 90404
UUCP: ...sdcrdcf!mlogic!marcel       | (213) 453-7744

mtoy@xman.SGI.COM (Michael Toy -- The S.G.I. XMAN) (10/24/88)

In article <128@mlogic.UUCP>, marcel@mlogic.UUCP (Marcel Samek) writes:

> In article <20894@sgi.SGI.COM> miq@chromavac.SGI.COM (Miq Millman) writes:
>
> >graphics hardware is incredibly fast, so performace is not hurt.  On the 4D
> >series, pixel performance is about 8 million pixels per second.

> In the context of the discussion, which was about pixel based operations,
> this statement is utter nonsense. ...
>
> ... application programs can achieve  pixel  performances  of
> significantly  less  than  100,000  pixels  per second (roughly 2 orders of
> magnitude less) when painting pixel data.
>
> If you wish to read pixels  from  the  frame  buffer,  the  performance  is
> significantly slower than if you wish to write pixels.
>
> It is disappointing to see Silicon Graphics employees post such deceptive
> garbage to the net.

I believe the published speed for copying pixels to the screen from user memory
on the GTX series machines IS 8 million pixels per second.  So the only
deception in the first posting is the phrase "on the 4D series".  It should have
been "on the multi-processor 4D series".
--
                 From the mixed up files of Mr. Michael C. Toy
Internet: mtoy@SGI.COM              UUCP: {ames,ucbvax,decwrl,sun,parcvax}!mtoy

miq@chromavac.SGI.COM (Miq Millman) (10/25/88)

ooops,  I meant to say on the Multi-processor as Michael Toy pointed out.
There was no malice or decieving intended in my message, only trying to
answer a question.  If you really believe that this news group was set up
to frustrate and confuse users by SGI employees posting bogus info, then
perhaps you should Email me and we can discuss this further off the net.

--
"You know Squeezit, we chickens are hear to help in any way we can."
		"But what can chicken do?"