[comp.sys.sgi] a question for you all...

dunlap@bombadl.SGI.COM (D. Christopher Dunlap) (10/28/88)

In ASDBT (Advanced Systems Division Business Team) yesterday, we were
talking about a project that we're trying to prioritize, and decided
that we'd ask the net about it.

It is possible for us to make the 4D/xx and 4D/xxGT systems (but NOT
the Power series) run out of a regular 15Amp circuit. This would save
everyone from having to get special 20Amp outlets installed for their
workstations. It is certainly a nice thing to be able to do, but it's
not really clear to us how big an issue it is with people. We haven't
had a lot of feedback so far, and we're trying to prioritize this
against other projects like bigger disks, bigger tapes, new video
standards, etc.

What do you all think? Is the 20Amp circuits a real hassle, or would
you rather have us spend our time on other things...

thanks in advance for your input,

chris

D. Christopher Dunlap	(dunlap@sgi.com)
Hardware Product Support
Silicon Graphics Computer Systems

In article <21191@sgi.SGI.COM> dunlap@bombadl.SGI.COM (D. Christopher Dunlap) writes:
>It is possible for us to make the 4D/xx and 4D/xxGT systems (but NOT
>the Power series) run out of a regular 15Amp circuit. This would save
>everyone from having to get special 20Amp outlets installed for their
>workstations. It is certainly a nice thing to be able to do...

Sure is.  And most of the time, all you have to do is change the plug.
A "heavy" configuration might be different, but our rather "light"
4D/60T is perfectly happy on a 15A circuit.  We measured the current
drain; it's nowhere near 15A.  Harsh words were said about SGI.

Yes, 20A circuits are a hassle.
--
The dream *IS* alive...         |    Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
but not at NASA.                |uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

steve@eos.UUCP (Steve Philipson) (11/05/88)

In article <21191@sgi.SGI.COM> dunlap@bombadl.SGI.COM (D. Christopher Dunlap) writes:

>It is possible for us to make the 4D/xx and 4D/xxGT systems (but NOT
>the Power series) run out of a regular 15Amp circuit. This would save
>everyone from having to get special 20Amp outlets installed for their
>workstations. It is certainly a nice thing to be able to do, but it's

>What do you all think? Is the 20Amp circuits a real hassle, or would
>you rather have us spend our time on other things...

  Aggg, Gak!!  Yeah, it's a big deal, but less so now that we've gone
through the pain and suffering of installing those 20 amp lines.  The
major problem that we had at installation was that at the time (about
1 year ago), SGI did not tell its customers that 20 amp lines were
needed.  This caused the loss of considerable time and money when our
machines were to be installed and we had put in 15 amp conditioned power
lines.  15 amp connectors would make our machines much more easy to move
though, so that would be a help.

   Is it alright for us to swap the 20 amp connector on the power
cable to a 15 amp connector?  What are the limitations on machine
configuration that would require a 20 amp circuit?
--

						   Steve
					(the certified flying fanatic)

dunlap@bombadl.SGI.COM (D. Christopher Dunlap) (11/08/88)

In article <1861@eos.UUCP>, steve@eos.UUCP (Steve Philipson) writes:
> In article <21191@sgi.SGI.COM> dunlap@bombadl.SGI.COM (D. Christopher Dunlap) writes:
>
> >What do you all think? Is the 20Amp circuits a real hassle, or would
> >you rather have us spend our time on other things...
>
>   Aggg, Gak!!  Yeah, it's a big deal, but less so now that we've gone
> through the pain and suffering of installing those 20 amp lines.  The
> major problem that we had at installation was that at the time (about
> 1 year ago), SGI did not tell its customers that 20 amp lines were
> needed.  This caused the loss of considerable time and money when our
> machines were to be installed and we had put in 15 amp conditioned power
> lines.  15 amp connectors would make our machines much more easy to move
> though, so that would be a help.
>
>    Is it alright for us to swap the 20 amp connector on the power
> cable to a 15 amp connector?  What are the limitations on machine
> configuration that would require a 20 amp circuit?
> --
>
> 						   Steve
> 					(the certified flying fanatic)
> 					    steve@aurora.arc.nasa.gov

I have already passed feedback to Sales Development to pass to the
SEs and Sales Reps about customers who have been "surprised" by the
20Amp connectors. This is about the fourth time someone has mentioned
this.

The issue with the power is with UL approvals. I don't have a clear
explanation of exactly why the systems need to have a 20Amp circuit,
though. I'll chat with the engineers on the project about it and post
later.

As one person mentioned in a mail to me, many buildings actually have
20Amp service, but only 15Amp outlets. In those cases, it's easy to
just change the outlet. (Unless, of course, you work for the
Government or a university ;-} )

chris

D. Christopher Dunlap

Hardware Product Support
Silicon Graphics

In article <1861@eos.UUCP> steve@eos.UUCP (Steve Philipson) writes:
>   Is it alright for us to swap the 20 amp connector on the power
>cable to a 15 amp connector? ...

It may void your warranty :-), and it just might void your UL rating --
not a trivial consideration if you want the equipment to be covered by
your building's fire insurance! -- but our experience is that the Plug
Police don't come and haul you away if you do this.
--
The Earth is our mother.        |    Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
Our nine months are up.         |uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

root@sbcs.sunysb.edu (root) (11/08/88)

In article <1988Nov7.202653.19354@utzoo.uucp>, henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
> In article <1861@eos.UUCP> steve@eos.UUCP (Steve Philipson) writes:
> >   Is it alright for us to swap the 20 amp connector on the power
> >cable to a 15 amp connector? ...
>
> It may void your warranty :-), and it just might void your UL rating --
> not a trivial consideration if you want the equipment to be covered by
> your building's fire insurance! -- but our experience is that the Plug

	Would it though?  I don't see a clause anywhere in my home fire
	insurance policy that states "all electrical equipment/wiring
	must carry a UL/CSA rating".  All it says on such subjects is
	if I "knowingly increase" a hazard my insurance *may* be void.
	If strict UL/CSA were required, quite a few people are going to
	have to throw out various items around the house, eg old refrig's,
	radios, etc.  After all, any gadget that is properly certified
	can be used in such a way as to cause a fire, eg a hotplate is
	UL'ed, but I will bet it can cause a fire :-).

	I thought that although UL is required by law in some states in
	some states in order to sell, but it is primarily CVA for the manufacturers.

> Police don't come and haul you away if you do this.
> --
> The Earth is our mother.        |    Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
> Our nine months are up.         |uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

					Rick Spanbauer
					SUNY/Stony Brook