[comp.sys.sgi] dog, radar, shadow, etc. & tcp/ip

blbates@AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV (Bates TAD/HRNAB ms294 x2601) (11/15/88)

     We have GL2-W3.6 on an IRIS 3130 and I have tried to run the dog
demo, but it dies with the following error: Ethernet init failed.
The workstation release notes says that dog works on an IRIS running
NFS or TCP/IP.  Does it or doesn't it.  Am I doing something wrong,
do I have system configured wrong, or what.  I know this is minor,
but if this doesn't work, I kind of wonder if there is anything else
that I have missed that doesn't work either.  Thanks.

jevans@.ucalgary.ca (David Jevans) (11/21/88)

In article <8811151756.AA02930@aero4.larc.nasa.gov>, blbates@AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV (Bates TAD/HRNAB ms294 x2601) writes:

>      We have GL2-W3.6 on an IRIS 3130 and I have tried to run the dog
> demo, but it dies with the following error: Ethernet init failed.
> The workstation release notes says that dog works on an IRIS running
> NFS or TCP/IP.  Does it or doesn't it.

The dog program on our Irises uses xns instead of tcp/ip.  If
xns is not installed you will get the Ethernet init failed message.
A tcp/ip version has been around for about 2 years now
(thanks Andy and others...), but I don't know if sgi
has it or ships it for 3000s.  The Personal Iris that is here on
demo has dog, and I believe that it uses tcp/ip.

One problem with the tcp/ip version of dog is that it
sends broadcast messages all over the ether.  This can
cause severe problems to remote machines, in particular,
vaxen.  I think I saw this documented in the 4D20 documentation
somewhere.  Anyway, I fixed our 3000 version so it only sends to machines
that it knows about.

David Jevans, U of Calgary Computer Science, Calgary AB  T2N 1N4  Canada
uucp: ...{ubc-cs,utai,alberta}!calgary!jevans

miq@chromavac.SGI.COM (Miq Millman) (11/22/88)

In article <8811151756.AA02930@aero4.larc.nasa.gov>, blbates@AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV (Bates TAD/HRNAB ms294 x2601) writes:

>      We have GL2-W3.6 on an IRIS 3130 and I have tried to run the dog
> demo, but it dies with the following error: Ethernet init failed.
> The workstation release notes says that dog works on an IRIS running
> NFS or TCP/IP.  Does it or doesn't it.  Am I doing something wrong,
> do I have system configured wrong, or what.  I know this is minor,
> but if this doesn't work, I kind of wonder if there is anything else
> that I have missed that doesn't work either.  Thanks.

You should check out your /etc/services file, there are a couple of lines at
the end of it that look like this:

# stuff to play net games
#sgi-dogfight	5130/udp			# dog fighting with others
#arena		5131/udp

to get both arena and dog to work remove the "#" in the first column on both
of those lines and then it should work

--
"What is the greatest joy?"
	"The joy of duty!"

blbates@AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV (Bates TAD/HRNAB ms294 x2601) (11/22/88)

    I made the change you suggested.  I added the following line to
/etc/services:

sgi-dogfight	5130/udp			# 'dog'

It didn't work.  I have a 3130, does that make any difference.  I still
get the following:

Ethernet init failed

Any more suggestions?

blbates@AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV (Bates TAD/HRNAB ms294 x2601) (11/22/88)

     I tried your changes to /etc/services, but I still get the same
error.  Someone told me once that you need to run a "server" program
before you can get dog, etc. to run, is this correct?

dave@onfcanim.UUCP (Dave Martindale) (11/24/88)

In article <22316@sgi.SGI.COM> miq@chromavac.SGI.COM (Miq Millman) writes:

>You should check out your /etc/services file, there are a couple of lines at
>the end of it that look like this:
>
># stuff to play net games
>#sgi-dogfight	5130/udp			# dog fighting with others
>#arena		5131/udp

What version of the kernel & what machine?  Our 2400T's running GL2-W3.6
don't seem to have this.  The original question came from someone also
running 3.6.

Will the 3.6 version of dog/shadow/etc run with TCP if we just
add the above lines to /etc/services, or does it require newer versions?
(I can't easily test this myself, since we deleted dog and the rest
when we found that they didn't work.)

blbates@AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV (Bates TAD/HRNAB ms294 x2601) (11/29/88)

     We have a 3130 with GL2-W3.6; dog, shadow, etc. don't work.  The manual
says that in 3.6 they are TCP/IP, but I don't know if that is true. I made the
above changes, but they didn't help.  I have been told that a server program
, atc (air taffic controler), must be run, but we don't have it.