[comp.sys.sgi] Fujitsu M2249E

chris@spock (Chris Ott) (01/30/89)

     I have the following problem: I have a disk drive that was purchased
by another person. I would like to install it on our IRIS 3130, but I
can't find any documentation for it. I've tried to format it and check it
out with the "sifex" program, and it formats okay, but it comes up with
many errors when I try to run tests on it. The disk is a Fujitsu M2249E,
and of the twenty or so models "sifex" can handle, the M2249E doesn't
appear to be listed. The closest I could get is the 51217 selection, but
that's for the Hitachi 512-17. At least then I could format the disk.
Is there a better selection, or is it just impossible to get the M2249E
to work on our IRISes?

     It would also be nice to have the following information:

  1) How big is it? (megabytes)

  2) How many heads/cylinders/blocks per cylinder does it have?

  3) What do all of the jumper selectors do? I have documentation for our
     Hitachi disk, so I can read the jumpers off of it and set the
     appropriate jumpers on the Fujitsu.

     Any information would be _greatly_ appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

 Chris Ott
 Computational Fluid Mechanics Lab        Infatuation is blind, not love. A
 University of Arizona                      person in love can see the other's
                                            faults, but loves them anyway.
 Internet: chris@spock.ame.arizona.edu
 UUCP: {allegra,cmcl2,hao!noao}!arizona!amethyst!spock!chris

markb@denali.SGI.COM (Mark Bradley) (01/31/89)

In article <882@amethyst.ma.arizona.edu>, chris@spock (Chris Ott) writes:

>      I have the following problem: I have a disk drive that was purchased
> by another person. I would like to install it on our IRIS 3130, but I
> can't find any documentation for it. I've tried to format it and check it
> out with the "sifex" program, and it formats okay, but it comes up with
> many errors when I try to run tests on it. The disk is a Fujitsu M2249E,

The 2249 is not viable on the 3130's ESDI controller.  The only 380 MB
drive that is qualified to run on the 3130 is a semi-custom version of
the Micropolis 1558-15.
>      It would also be nice to have the following information:
>
>   1) How big is it? (megabytes)

It is a 380 MB drive.

>   2) How many heads/cylinders/blocks per cylinder does it have?

1243 cylinders, 15 heads, 34 sectors/trk.  Gaps should be set to 0x19,
0x13 and 0x26.  It will run best at a 2:1 interleave, but not reliably
at all.

>   3) What do all of the jumper selectors do? I have documentation for our
>      Hitachi disk, so I can read the jumpers off of it and set the
>      appropriate jumpers on the Fujitsu.

The jumpers are for address and bytes/sector.  Some others are factory set
and should not be tampered with.  You should be able to get specifics from
Fujitsu Americas Support organization (jumper locations often change when
drive is rev'd) at (408)432-1300.

>      Any information would be _greatly_ appreciated.

						markb

--
Mark Bradley				"Faster, faster, until the thrill of
IO Subsystems				 speed overcomes the fear of death."

blbates@AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV (Bates TAD/HRNAB ms294 x2601) (02/03/89)

   I was told that SGI uses Hitatchi DK 514-380, Winchesters, and
MaxTor XT4380E 380Mb drives for the 3130.  I was also told that
they are the standard units made by the manufacturer.  Nothing
special, just pull out the old 170Mb drive and replace it with
a 380Mb drive.  Why does SGI up the price on these drives 100%?
The Micropolis wasn't even mentioned.  Does a "semi-custom" version
of the disk have to cost twice a standard version.  What is going
on here?  Do the Hitatchi, Winchesters, and MaxTor drives work in
a 3130 or not?
--

	Brent L. Bates
	NASA-Langley Research Center

jmb@patton.SGI.COM (Jim Barton) (02/04/89)

In article <8902022347.AA03651@aero4.larc.nasa.gov>, blbates@AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV (Bates TAD/HRNAB ms294 x2601) writes:

>    I was told that SGI uses Hitatchi DK 514-380, Winchesters, and
> MaxTor XT4380E 380Mb drives for the 3130.  I was also told that
> they are the standard units made by the manufacturer.  Nothing
> special, just pull out the old 170Mb drive and replace it with
> a 380Mb drive.  Why does SGI up the price on these drives 100%?
> The Micropolis wasn't even mentioned.  Does a "semi-custom" version
> of the disk have to cost twice a standard version.  What is going
> on here?  Do the Hitatchi, Winchesters, and MaxTor drives work in
> a 3130 or not?
> --
>
> 	Brent L. Bates
> 	NASA-Langley Research Center
> 	M.S. 294
> 	Hampton, Virginia  23665-5225
> 	(804) 864-2854
> 	E-mail: blbates@aero4.larc.nasa.gov or blbates@aero2.larc.nasa.gov

The price goes up for several reasons:

	1) We have to make some profit.  The disk manufacturer doesn't
	   give us disks for free, you know.

	2) We garuntee that the disks we ship work.  This involves
	   software, such as drivers, formatters, test programs, etc.
	   Software is not cheap (as you no doubt know).

	3) When we ship a drive, we test it, format it and generally
	   make sure you get something that will work.

	4) We have to train the FE's to test and replace in the field,
	   the SE's to know what to do with it, the purchasing people
	   to buy it, the manufacturing people to test and package it
	   and others.

Like the old story goes, if you want it to work, call us.  If you wish
to take your chances, buy it cheap, but don't call the Hotline when
it breaks.

-- Jim Barton
Silicon Graphics Computing Systems    "UNIX: Live Free Or Die!"
jmb@sgi.sgi.com, sgi!jmb@decwrl.dec.com, ...{decwrl,sun}!sgi!jmb

  "I used to be disgusted, now I'm just amused."
			- Elvis Costello, 'Red Shoes'
--

markb@denali.SGI.COM (Mark Bradley) (02/07/89)

In article <8902022347.AA03651@aero4.larc.nasa.gov>, blbates@AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV (Bates TAD/HRNAB ms294 x2601) writes:

>    I was told that SGI uses Hitatchi DK 514-380, Winchesters, and
> MaxTor XT4380E 380Mb drives for the 3130.  I was also told that
> they are the standard units made by the manufacturer.  Nothing
> special, just pull out the old 170Mb drive and replace it with
> a 380Mb drive.  Why does SGI up the price on these drives 100%?
> The Micropolis wasn't even mentioned.  Does a "semi-custom" version
> of the disk have to cost twice a standard version.  What is going
> on here?  Do the Hitatchi, Winchesters, and MaxTor drives work in
> a 3130 or not?
> --
>
> 	Brent L. Bates
> 	NASA-Langley Research Center
> 	M.S. 294
> 	Hampton, Virginia  23665-5225
> 	(804) 864-2854
> 	E-mail: blbates@aero4.larc.nasa.gov or blbates@aero2.larc.nasa.gov

All of the disk drives that SGI sells are winchesters (named after an old
IBM code name, I'm told).  SGI does not currently support any Maxtor drives.
ONLY the SGI version of the Micropolis 1558-15 works in the 3130.  NO OTHER
380's are supported by SGI on the 3130.

					markb