[comp.sys.sgi] How to Access Fonts

timelord@eos (G. Murdock Helms) (02/16/89)

I'm tinkering with some graphics code (just finished the class two
weeks ago), and am interested in finding out what type of fonts are
already defined and known to our 4D70GTX.

Knowing that font 0 is the default font, I tried font(1); and font(2);
which produced a font that looks identical to font(0); but also
produced the error message
ERROR #92 font : ERR_NOFONTFOUND

(sigh)  Can anybody tell me what I missed and how to access other fonts?
It'd be much appreciated.

Thanks.

-Murdock

tarolli@dragon.SGI.COM (Gary Tarolli) (02/17/89)

In article <2633@eos.UUCP>, timelord@eos (G. Murdock Helms) writes:
> I'm tinkering with some graphics code (just finished the class two
> weeks ago), and am interested in finding out what type of fonts are
> already defined and known to our 4D70GTX.
>
> Knowing that font 0 is the default font, I tried font(1); and font(2);
> which produced a font that looks identical to font(0); but also
> produced the error message
> ERROR #92 font : ERR_NOFONTFOUND
>
> (sigh)  Can anybody tell me what I missed and how to access other fonts?
> It'd be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>
> -Murdock

	sorry to say that when the GL starts up (ginit, winopen, etc...)
it only knows about font 0 which is the default font.
To use any other fonts you must first define them with defrasterfont.

However, we now have a fontmanager library which can access the fonts that
come with 4Sight (/usr/lib/fmfonts).  See the 4Sight manual (fontmanager
chapter) for more details on the routines to access these fonts - there
are new non-GL routines for accessing fonts and displaying character
strings (and even changing points sizes!)