[comp.sys.sgi] include file wrong

paquette@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Trevor Paquette) (02/22/89)

   I was working on a program that needs to read/write XDR format
files, and I came across a system include file that was wrong.
In "/usr/include/rpc/rpc.h" it says around line 15 that it wants
to include <netinet/in.h>.. which as the compiler will complain
about, DOES NOT EXIST.. at least at that path name.. the
path of the include file that it wants is actually
"/usr/include/bsd/netinet/in.h".. two possible simple fixes..
make a sybolic link to /usr/include/bsd/netinet in /usr/include,
or go in and change <netinet/in.h> to <bsd/netinet/in.h>.
 I think that the first fix is probably more reasonable..
Hope this is fixed for the next release..

     Trev
               Trevor Paquette/GraphicsLand, Calgary, Alberta
 ..uunet!{ubc-cs,utai,alberta}!calgary!paquette          ICBM:51 03 N/114 05 W
 calgary!paquette@cs.ubc.ca      Luminous beings we are, not this crude matter

paquette@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Trevor Paquette) (02/22/89)

   I forgot to mention that this is on the Personal Iris.

archer@elysium.SGI.COM (Archer Sully) (02/23/89)

In article <764@cs-spool.calgary.UUCP>, paquette@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Trevor Paquette) writes:

>    I was working on a program that needs to read/write XDR format
> files, and I came across a system include file that was wrong.
> In "/usr/include/rpc/rpc.h" it says around line 15 that it wants
> to include <netinet/in.h>.. which as the compiler will complain
> about, DOES NOT EXIST.. at least at that path name.. the
> path of the include file that it wants is actually
> "/usr/include/bsd/netinet/in.h".. two possible simple fixes..
> make a sybolic link to /usr/include/bsd/netinet in /usr/include,
> or go in and change <netinet/in.h> to <bsd/netinet/in.h>.
>  I think that the first fix is probably more reasonable..
> Hope this is fixed for the next release..

The intro man page on using bsd extensions (ie, TCP/IP) states that
when compiling such programs you should use the command line option
-I/usr/include/bsd when compiling.  This extends the search path for
include files to the bsd subtree.  Try 'man 3 intro' for more information.
It is the last page that comes up.

Regards

Archer Sully
archer@sgi.com

"life is short, and full of stuff"

		-- Lux Interior
--

paquette@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Trevor Paquette) (02/24/89)

In article <27270@sgi.SGI.COM>, archer@elysium.SGI.COM (Archer Sully) writes:
] In article <764@cs-spool.calgary.UUCP>, paquette@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Trevor Paquette) writes:
] >
] >    I was working on a program that needs to read/write XDR format
] > files, and I came across a system include file that was wrong.
   ... stuff deleted..
]
] The intro man page on using bsd extensions (ie, TCP/IP) states that
] when compiling such programs you should use the command line option
] -I/usr/include/bsd when compiling.  This extends the search path for
]
 ... stuff deleted..
]> Archer Sully
] archer@sgi.com
]
] "life is short, and full of stuff"
]
] 		-- Lux Interior
] --

    That worked.. We have a demo Personal Iris on loan here until our very own
comes in. We did not however get the full set of manuals with the PI.
All we have are the two graphics manuals for now.
 Thanx