[comp.sys.sgi] relational dbms for sg 4D-120?

beverly@ai.cs.wisc.edu (Beverly Seavey) (02/25/89)

Does anyone know of a relational database that will run on a
Silicon Graphics 4D-120? INGRES apparently doesn't exist for it
yet. The word that I have gotten from Oracle and Informix is that
they don't have software for that model, but I wonder if software
written for other models of SG might also run on this model.
 I am new to this machine so I don't know how this model relates to
others. Would something that runs on a 4D-60 also run on a 4D-120?
thanks in advance.
.

archer@elysium.SGI.COM (Archer Sully) (02/25/89)

In article <7235@spool.cs.wisc.edu>, beverly@ai.cs.wisc.edu (Beverly Seavey) writes:
> Does anyone know of a relational database that will run on a
> Silicon Graphics 4D-120? INGRES apparently doesn't exist for it
> yet. The word that I have gotten from Oracle and Informix is that
> they don't have software for that model, but I wonder if software
> written for other models of SG might also run on this model.
>  I am new to this machine so I don't know how this model relates to
> others. Would something that runs on a 4D-60 also run on a 4D-120?
> thanks in advance.
> .

SGI maintains binary compatibility throughout the 4D line, so if Oracle
or Informix have a version that runs on the current OS, then it should
run on the 4D-120.

Archer Sully
archer@sgi.com

"life is short, and full of stuff"

		-- Lux Interior
--

scotth@harlie.SGI.COM (Scott Henry) (02/25/89)

From article <7235@spool.cs.wisc.edu>, by beverly@ai.cs.wisc.edu (Beverly Seavey):
> Does anyone know of a relational database that will run on a
> Silicon Graphics 4D-120? INGRES apparently doesn't exist for it
> yet. The word that I have gotten from Oracle and Informix is that
> they don't have software for that model, but I wonder if software
> written for other models of SG might also run on this model.
>  I am new to this machine so I don't know how this model relates to
> others. Would something that runs on a 4D-60 also run on a 4D-120?
> thanks in advance.
> .
The UNIFY RDBMS does run on the 4D series, along with their ACCELL 4GL
(Note that Accell treats the IRIS console as an ASCII terminal, and does
not use the gl at all for interface -- no more mouse than you get with
a wsh).  I'm not too sure exactly who to contact, probably Unify Corp
would be best. I was involved in the technical side of the port to the
4D. I have been running it successfully for many months now. You will
need OS release 4D1-3.1 or later. It will not take advantage of the
multiple processors in the 4D120, but then DBMS's in general are disk-IO
bound, not CPU bound.
--
---------------------
              Scott Henry <scotth@sgi.com>

hargrove@harlie.SGI.COM (Mark Hargrove) (02/25/89)

From article <27450@sgi.SGI.COM>, by scotth@harlie.SGI.COM (Scott Henry):
> From article <7235@spool.cs.wisc.edu>, by beverly@ai.cs.wisc.edu (Beverly Seavey):
>> Does anyone know of a relational database that will run on a
>> Silicon Graphics 4D-120? INGRES apparently doesn't exist for it
>> yet. The word that I have gotten from Oracle and Informix is that
>> they don't have software for that model, but I wonder if software
>> written for other models of SG might also run on this model.
>>  I am new to this machine so I don't know how this model relates to
>> others. Would something that runs on a 4D-60 also run on a 4D-120?
>> thanks in advance.
>> .
> The UNIFY RDBMS does run on the 4D series, along with their ACCELL 4GL
> (Note that Accell treats the IRIS console as an ASCII terminal, and does
> not use the gl at all for interface -- no more mouse than you get with
> a wsh).  I'm not too sure exactly who to contact, probably Unify Corp
> would be best. I was involved in the technical side of the port to the

Actually, SGI does sell this product directly :-)

Give your friendly, helpful SGI salesrep a call.

	-Mark Hargrove
Mark Hargrove                                       Silicon Graphics, Inc.
email: hargrove@harlie.sgi.com                      2011 N.Shoreline Drive
voice: 415-962-3642                                 Mt.View, CA 94039