[comp.sys.sgi] 3D input, comments on Jim Barton's note

blbates@AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV (Bates TAD/HRNAB ms294 x2601) (02/28/89)

    1. Has to work before shipment? Must be NEW SGI concept.

    2.-3. I'll agree with those.

    4. Maybe

    5. Correct documentation? What's that?

    6. Quality?! Service?  I hope these have finally been adopted.

    7. Reasonable cost, since when.  YOU DON'T have to sell the
       hardware, just charge us for the software.  I hate expesive
       middle men.

       SGI could learn a few things , correction a lot, from the
       microcomputer industry, concerning add on equipment and
       other things.
--

					Brent

helman@isl.Stanford.EDU (Jim Helman) (03/07/89)

In article <8902281549.AA03342@aero4.larc.nasa.gov> blbates@AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV (Bates TAD/HRNAB ms294 x2601) writes:

>    5. Correct documentation? What's that?
>
>    6. Quality?! Service?  I hope these have finally been adopted.
>

>       SGI could learn a few things , correction [sic] a lot, from the
>       microcomputer industry, concerning add on equipment and
>       other things.

Easy there.  If you think SGI is bad, maybe you should look around a
bit.  The SUN hotline takes a week to get back to you.  SGI's hotline
usually returns calls within the hour.  We've even had an SGI field
engineer come out at 6:30 on a Friday evening because we needed the
machine for the weekend.  As for the documentation, it's better than
most and improving.  Just compare the G Graphics Library Manual with
the newer GT Graphics Library Manual.

Sure sometimes you get a brainless person or a neophyte on the hotline
who wastes half an hour of your time reading man pages to him/herself
on the phone.  And sometimes SGI can't supply working replacement
parts, such as the latest processor board, in a timely fashion.  But
overall, SGI does better than any other company of its size that I've
dealt with.

Jim Helman
Department of Applied Physics			P.O. Box 10494
Stanford University				Stanford, CA 94309
(jim@thrush.stanford.edu) 			(415) 723-4940

blbates@AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV (Bates TAD/HRNAB ms294 x2601) (03/07/89)

   Your right about SUN.  I called them 2 weeks ago, and still no
answer.  It seems to me that there are VERY FEW companies out there
that care about their customers.  What every happened to people trying
their best to do their best?  There are a few people out there, but
they don't seem to be in management.
   I have run into a couple people at SGI that try to be helpful,
they're not all bad.
--

	Brent L. Bates
	NASA-Langley Research Center

madd@adt.UUCP (jim frost) (03/07/89)

>>       SGI could learn a few things , correction [sic] a lot, from the
>>       microcomputer industry, concerning add on equipment and
>>       other things.
>
>Easy there.  If you think SGI is bad, maybe you should look around a
>bit.  The SUN hotline takes a week to get back to you.

This is true, and if you have a real problem they'll bounce you around
a LOT.  Once I even got a message from someone about "my SO" (service
order), which wasn't at all useful since I have (even still) about five
active ones.

Better than that, Sun shipped the 386i version of the 4.0 developer's
kit without even RUNNING the debugger; the thing absolutely refused to
work on any core, complaining about "bad text addresses".  Even my
worst experiences with SGI software pale against such incompetence.

>As for the documentation, it's better than
>most and improving.  Just compare the G Graphics Library Manual with
>the newer GT Graphics Library Manual.

Yes, the newer are certainly better, although we've found that many
functions are ambiguously documented; you actually have to play with
them to figure out some specifics.  Again, there is much worse out
there!

Basically I'm impressed with how fast SGI responds to their customers.
Look at how fast the 4Sight system has matured!  If everyone responded
so fast, my job would be a lot easier.

jim frost
madd@bu-it.bu.edu