[comp.sys.sgi] Compiling for different 4Ds

spike@adt.UUCP (Joe Ilacqua) (03/16/89)

	Is there any way within the C Preprocessor to tell whether we
are compiling on at Personal Iris or a 4D/70g ?  I need to know If I
can use rectread() or if I must use readpixels().  A way to find out
at run time could be useful also.  The number of pixels read at any
one time is small so I could use readpixels() if I had to, but
rectread is 10 times faster...

Joe Ilacqua,
Associative Design Technology

archer@elysium.SGI.COM (Archer Sully) (03/16/89)

In article <8903151747.AA29409@adt.uucp>, spike@adt.UUCP (Joe Ilacqua) writes:

> 	Is there any way within the C Preprocessor to tell whether we
> are compiling on at Personal Iris or a 4D/70g ?  I need to know If I
> can use rectread() or if I must use readpixels().  A way to find out
> at run time could be useful also.  The number of pixels read at any
> one time is small so I could use readpixels() if I had to, but
> rectread is 10 times faster...
>
> Joe Ilacqua,
> Associative Design Technology

You can get the information about the what kind of graphics you are on
from gversion at run time.  There is a man page on it, but a quick summary
might look like this:

#include <gl.h>

main() {
	char version[12];

	noport();
	winopen("");
	gversion(version);
	printf("%s\n",version);
}

the output of this program will look something like this:

GL4D-x.x   on a 4D/70G
GL4DGT-x.x on a GT or GTX
GL4DPI-x.x on a Personal Iris

where x.x is the release of the OS that you are running on.

Archer Sully
archer@sgi.com

"life is short, and full of stuff"

		-- Lux Interior