[comp.sys.sgi] gr_osview on a remote host

ijlustig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Irvin Lustig) (03/17/89)

We are trying to use the -N option of gr_osview and get the message
"Password incorrect."
"Unable to invoke remote demon"

All of our hosts are using yellow pages.
It's not clear how to supply the "correct" password. Is there some
special change to the services file?  Do we need to set .rhosts
in a special way?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

	-Irv Lustig
	Assistant Professor
	Dept. of Civil Engineering and Operations Research
	Princeton University
	irv%basie@princeton.edu

jmb@patton.SGI.COM (Jim Barton) (03/18/89)

In article <7133@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, ijlustig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Irvin Lustig) writes:
> We are trying to use the -N option of gr_osview and get the message
> "Password incorrect."
> "Unable to invoke remote demon"
>
> All of our hosts are using yellow pages.
> It's not clear how to supply the "correct" password. Is there some
> special change to the services file?  Do we need to set .rhosts
> in a special way?
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
> 	-Irv Lustig
> 	Assistant Professor
> 	Dept. of Civil Engineering and Operations Research
> 	Princeton University
> 	irv%basie@princeton.edu

There are lots of reasons that this could happen.  If you don't use the
-Nuser@host syntax, gr_osview attempts to login as "guest".  If you don't
support a guest login, or it has a password, then the attempt will fail.

Due to a bug in the current gr_osview, going to any 'user' which has a
password in the password file will fail.  Unfortunately, this causes a
security breach which may not be acceptable in some installations.  I
haven't been able to devise a workaround.

This bug will be fixed in the next release of IRIX, the 3.2 release due
mid-year.

PS.   This bug is totally my own fault, so flame me, but it's not really
      necessary to trash SGI for not fixing bugs.  Even the best of us
      can't do everything perfect.

PPS.  The 3.2 release will have a brand new version of gr_osview that
      you will like alot.

-- Jim Barton
Silicon Graphics Computer Systems    "UNIX: Live Free Or Die!"
jmb@sgi.sgi.com, sgi!jmb@decwrl.dec.com, ...{decwrl,sun}!sgi!jmb

  "I used to be disgusted, now I'm just amused."
			- Elvis Costello, 'Red Shoes'
--

rpaul@dasys1.UUCP (Rod Paul) (03/22/89)

In article <28921@sgi.SGI.COM> jmb@patton.SGI.COM (Jim Barton) writes:
>In article <7133@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, ijlustig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Irvin Lustig) writes:
>> We are trying to use the -N option of gr_osview and get the message
>> "Password incorrect."
>> "Unable to invoke remote demon"

>Due to a bug in the current gr_osview, going to any 'user' which has a
>password in the password file will fail.  Unfortunately, this causes a
>security breach which may not be acceptable in some installations.  I
>haven't been able to devise a workaround.
>
>This bug will be fixed in the next release of IRIX, the 3.2 release due
>mid-year.
>
>PS.   This bug is totally my own fault, so flame me, but it's not really
>      necessary to trash SGI for not fixing bugs.  Even the best of us
>      can't do everything perfect.

Jim, I suggest not trashing yourself on this one... I logged a call a couple
of weeks ago to SGI (I assume the mid is still open), your program isn't
the only one with this problem. Anyway I explained to the support guy,
that not only is "gr_osview" unable to execute a remote daemon, but neither
can "bru" if the password field is locked ("bru" also defaults to "guest").

Being the nosey parker that I am I ran "strings" (piped through my favourite,
"less") on both "gr_osview" and "bru", both made some call to a bsd routine
I don't recall the exact name right now, but I beleive it was "ruserpass.c"
which makes reference to a ".netrc" file (I assume to be similar to ".rhosts").

Unfortunatly the support guy I talked to hadn't ever heard of a ".netrc"
file either. If it's format can be found (I assume "ruserpass" looks for it),
problem may be solved?

I know life ain't that easy and if you wrote "bru" too I know that won't
be the answer...

Cheers,

Rod.
--
Rodian Paul
Big Electric Cat Public UNIX

blbates@AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV (Bates TAD/HRNAB ms294 x2601) (03/22/89)

   The ".netrc" file is documented under ftp. Below is the documentation:

     THE .netrc	FILE
	  The .netrc file contains login and  initialization  informa-
	  tion	used  by  the  auto-login  process.  It	resides	in the
	  user's home directory.  The following	tokens are recognized;
	  they may be separated	by spaces, tabs, or new-lines:

	  machine "name"
	       Identify	a remote machine name.	The auto-login process
	       searches	 the  .netrc  file  for	 a  machine token that
	       matches the remote machine specified on the ftp command
	       line  or	 as an open command argument.  Once a match is
	       made, the subsequent .netrc tokens are processed, stop-
	       ping when the end of file is reached or another machine
	       token is	encountered.

	  login	"name"
	       Identify	a user on the remote machine.  If  this	 token
	       is  present,  the  auto-login  process  will initiate a
	       login using the specified name.

	  password "string"
	       Supply a	password.   If	this  token  is	 present,  the
	       auto-login  process will	supply the specified string if
	       the remote server requires a password as	 part  of  the
	       login  process.	 Note that if this token is present in
	       the .netrc file,	ftp will abort the auto-login  process
	       if the .netrc is	readable by anyone besides the user.

	  account "string"
	       Supply an additional account password.  If  this	 token
	       is  present,  the  auto-login  process  will supply the
	       specified string	if the remote server requires an addi-
	       tional account password,	or the auto-login process will
	       initiate	an ACCT	command	if it does not.

	  macdef "name"
	       Define a	macro.	This token functions like the ftp mac-
	       def  command  functions.	  A  macro is defined with the
	       specified name; its contents begin with the next	.netrc
	       line  and  continue until a null	line (consecutive new-
	       line characters)	is encountered.	 If a macro named init
	       is  defined,  it	 is automatically executed as the last
	       step in the auto-login process.
--

	Brent L. Bates
	NASA-Langley Research Center

blbates@AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV (Bates TAD/HRNAB ms294 x2601) (03/22/89)

   P.S. The .netrc file should be in the home directory of the local
machine and should have read permission by the owner ONLY.
--

ssun@cactus.SGI.COM (Steve Sun ) (03/24/89)

In article <7133@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, ijlustig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Irvin Lustig) writes:
> We are trying to use the -N option of gr_osview and get the message
> "Password incorrect."
> "Unable to invoke remote demon"

In case you are interested.....

If your release is new enough, there may be another tool - "sysmeter" existing
in your machine which does not need guest account and can
be used to get the performance data from remote machines. Since it uses the
standard SUN rpc call, it can also display the performance from SUN
workstation (or any machine that has ported "rpc.rstatd", I guess)

Steve.