[comp.sys.sgi] VMS utilities

JORDAN@gmr.COM (04/05/89)

VMS has a console handler that allows one to edit previous commands by
using the up arrow key.  For me, this is far superior than the history
commands used in UNIX.  Has anyone out there written any routines out
there to emulate this on a UNIX system?  or for sale? Thanks, ted jordan

sjc@key.COM (Steve Correll) (04/07/89)

In article <8904051044.aa10317@SMOKE.BRL.MIL>, JORDAN@gmr.COM writes:
> VMS has a console handler that allows one to edit previous commands by
> using the up arrow key.  For me, this is far superior than the history
> commands used in UNIX.  Has anyone out there written any routines out
> there to emulate this on a UNIX system?

MIPS systems have an optional emacs-like line editor built into both "csh" and
"dbx"; it has roughly the same functionality as the VMS handler, but uses
control-characters rather than the arrow keys (unfortunately, though you can
customize it to use the control-keys of your choice, you can't make it use the
arrow keys).

The SGI Irises based on the MIPS CPU lack this useful feature (though the SGI
"dbx" manual even mentions it briefly). Is somebody at SGI listening who might
have mercy on us fumble-fingered users who dislike cardpunch-style editing
with "!" and "^"?
--
...{sun,pyramid}!pacbell!key!sjc 				Steve Correll

ciemo@bananapc.SGI.COM (Dave Ciemiewicz) (04/08/89)

In article <745@key.COM>, sjc@key.COM (Steve Correll) writes:
> In article <8904051044.aa10317@SMOKE.BRL.MIL>, JORDAN@gmr.COM writes:
> > VMS has a console handler that allows one to edit previous commands by
> > using the up arrow key.  For me, this is far superior than the history
> > commands used in UNIX.  Has anyone out there written any routines out
> > there to emulate this on a UNIX system?
>
> MIPS systems have an optional emacs-like line editor built into both "csh" and
> "dbx"; it has roughly the same functionality as the VMS handler, but uses
> control-characters rather than the arrow keys (unfortunately, though you can
> customize it to use the control-keys of your choice, you can't make it use the
> arrow keys).
>
> The SGI Irises based on the MIPS CPU lack this useful feature (though the SGI
> "dbx" manual even mentions it briefly). Is somebody at SGI listening who might
> have mercy on us fumble-fingered users who dislike cardpunch-style editing
> with "!" and "^"?
> --
> ...{sun,pyramid}!pacbell!key!sjc 				Steve Correll

At they moment, you will have to settle for second sources for command line
editing features.  For csh users, tcsh is available in the public domain
(don't ask me where).  tcsh is a superset of csh and supports command line
editing.  I believe this is what MIPS Computers supports as their csh.
You may also need csh source for this.

KSH-88 is a superset of sh and is available from the AT&T Unix System
Toolchest.  One major feature is that it supports both vi and emacs style
command line editing.  AT&T System V.4 will replace sh with KSH-88.
If you have a modem, call 1-201-522-6900 and log in as "guest".  From
there you can recieve instructions on how to obtain KSH-88 and other goodies.

--

Dave	   (commonplace)		"Boldly going where no one cares to go."
Ciemiewicz (incomprehensible)

ram@shukra.Sun.COM (Renu Raman) (04/08/89)

In article <745@key.COM> sjc@key.COM (Steve Correll) writes:
>In article <8904051044.aa10317@SMOKE.BRL.MIL>, JORDAN@gmr.COM writes:
>> VMS has a console handler that allows one to edit previous commands by
>> using the up arrow key.  For me, this is far superior than the history
>> commands used in UNIX.  Has anyone out there written any routines out
>> there to emulate this on a UNIX system?
>
>MIPS systems have an optional emacs-like line editor built into both "csh" and
>"dbx"; it has roughly the same functionality as the VMS handler, but uses
>control-characters rather than the arrow keys (unfortunately, though you can
>customize it to use the control-keys of your choice, you can't make it use the
>arrow keys).
>
>The SGI Irises based on the MIPS CPU lack this useful feature (though the SGI
>"dbx" manual even mentions it briefly). Is somebody at SGI listening who might
>have mercy on us fumble-fingered users who dislike cardpunch-style editing
>with "!" and "^"?
>--
>...{sun,pyramid}!pacbell!key!sjc 				Steve Correll

   If you have the csh sources, then get the tcsh sources (which are basically
   diffs to csh + some code) from the comp.sources archive and you can
   get the functionality of the emacs like editor, including arrow keys -
   atleast its possible on vtxxx terminals as well on my Sun console).
   It has more bells & whistles like command search, file/command completions,
   man page lookups, command spelling correction.........list goes on.

   Renu Raman

ip@me.utoronto.ca (Bevis Ip) (04/08/89)

In article <98096@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> ram@sun.UUCP (Renu Raman) writes:
>   If you have the csh sources, then get the tcsh sources (which are basically
>   diffs to csh + some code) from the comp.sources archive and you can
>   get the functionality of the emacs like editor, including arrow keys -

I believe the version posted is 5.9, which is fine if you don't want job
control.  If you are 4Ds running >IRIX4.1, you might want to get it from
tut.cis.ohio-state.edu via ftp in /usr/pub/tcsh directory, the version there
right now is 5.12 and the next release (5.13?) will work for 4Ds with job
control.  If you can't wait for the next release, I can probably send you
the diffs to 5.12 (which I've sent to Paul Placeway) if there aren't many
request.  If you don't have vanilla BSD4.3 source, I might make the bianary
available if you can trust binary release (I don't).

bevis
--
Bevis Ip 	University of Toronto Mechanical Engineering
CSNET   : ip@me.toronto.edu		BITNET: ip@me.UTORONTO

ip@me.utoronto.ca (Bevis Ip) (04/09/89)

[ My apology to local readers, my last one didn't get out of our machines at
	all; so I'm doing again on hammer. - bevis ]

spike@adt.UUCP (Joe Ilacqua) (04/10/89)

<If you don't have vanilla BSD4.3 source, I might make the bianary
<available if you can trust binary release (I don't).

	This might be worth it for tcsh with job control.

	Prehaps someone should look at the 'Bourne Again Shell' from
GNU.  I believe it has emacs like editing of the command line (and it
does have Job Control and csh history).  If I can find it and can find
the time I will see what I can do with it...

Joe Ilacqua
spike@adt.uucp
spike%adt.uucp@buita.bu.edu

mg@unipress.unipress.com (required by law) (04/11/89)

If you use Emacs, you can run a command-line-driven program like a shell
or dbx in an Emacs "interactive process" window.  In UniPress Emacs
(which is available as an option from SGI) these windows behave just like
a dumb terminal (erase, kill, etc. work) except that you can recall
and edit previous command lines, and all sorts of other things.
GnuEmacs probably does this too, or can be hacked to do so.
And you can use the arrow keys, too :-).

Mike Gallaher
UniPress Software

madd@adt.UUCP (jim frost) (04/11/89)

>In UniPress Emacs
>(which is available as an option from SGI) these windows behave just like
>a dumb terminal (erase, kill, etc. work) except that you can recall
>and edit previous command lines, and all sorts of other things.
>GnuEmacs probably does this too, or can be hacked to do so.
>And you can use the arrow keys, too :-).

It's not a bad idea to think of GNU Emacs as a substantial superset of
UniPress, especially considering the number of outside contributors
who have added functionality.  GNU does support sub-shells, vt100
terminal emulation in a window, lisp shells (as well as its own
interactive lisp), etc.  And hanoi to nine levels if you're bored.

What are the downsides of using Emacs as a shell?  Emacs strips out a
lot of control sequences which are necessary to many programs.  You
can run things without the emacs window but it doesn't quite work like
a shell.  This could be hacked pretty easily though.  Emacs,
especially GNU Emacs, is also extremely memory-hungry.  There are
installations I know of which refuse to allow any emacs or emacs-like
editor on their system because of resource usage.  But most of them
also believe that VMS is reality so it might just be a mindset.
Personally I only use emacs as an editor/compile environment which it
is particularly well-suited for.

A feature-for-feature comparison of GNU emacs versus any other editor
is rather interesting, but most other editors are not completely
extensible or have as many programmers actively creating newer,
funkier additions to it.

Speaking of GNU, and more in keeping with the info-iris theme, the
recent posting to get GNU Emacs running on the 4D's didn't configure
Emacs to believe in job control which the 4D's now support and which
Emacs happily handles.  If you don't want to figure out how to enable
it you can talk to spike@bu-it.bu.edu who can tell you.

Happy hacking,

jim frost
madd@bu-it.bu.edu